General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #1  

Default Intuitive Eating #16

Here it is, IE #16

Last edited by carolr3639; 07-16-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: wrong title
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #2  

A repeat that helps me.

This is a guest post written by Skwigg. This girl is a walking dictionary of food and nutrition facts, has read and tried MULTIPLE fitness plans, and every time I check, she’s read another “hot of the press” diet book. And, she tells it like it is.

skwigg

Well, it took like 25 years of trial and error, but I am a happy eater. I follow no rules. I count no calories. I’m completely over nutrient ratios, meal timing and measuring cups. Plus, as an added bonus, I’m not fat. Any time I’ve flirted with this “intuitive eating” stuff before, I’ve quickly become too fat for my little pants. This time I’m gradually losing. I’m 5’8″ and weigh 135-137 most days. I don’t know my percentage of body fat. It’s possible that I’m losing muscle and brains. I’m not concerned enough to get out the calipers. My Tanita scale tells me that I’m between 14% and 24% body fat. Helpful, eh? It’s like asking a Magic 8 Ball. The readout may as well say “Concentrate and ask again.” Or “Signs point to yes.” All I know is that my yoga pants are loose! Woohoo!

So, why did intuitive eating work this time when it’s destroyed my abs so many times before? I’ve been trying to figure that out. I know that in the past I’ve used intuitive eating as an excuse to binge. I’d turn to it after a bout of really restrictive dieting, or when I couldn’t face my nutrition software, or when I wasn’t accountable to a trainer. My “intuition” would tell me to eat boxes of glazed donuts and sheets of cookies. I’d gain weight, scoff at the total lameness of this “embrace your inner cow” intuitive hoody-hoo, and go right back to obsessive dieting, tracking and measuring. I wrote down every single thing I ate or drank for TWO YEARS. That was not fun, and actually not helpful.

I’m more relaxed now. I don’t make food decisions from a place of frustration and panic. My intuition really likes strawberries. I eat chocolate every day. I like bagels. I like to eat out. I’m not limiting myself to dieter food but I’m very aware of portions. I eat one Cadbury Egg, not six. I eat mini-bagels, not those bakery bagels the size of my head. I understand that a typical restaurant serving is enough to feed four people.

Last time I tried intuitive eating, portion control was my downfall. I believed those books that said to eat as many cookies as I wanted and that eventually I wouldn’t want as many. Right!! Weeks later, I still wanted every cookie that had ever been baked. I was reeling out of control on a blood sugar rollercoaster. The more junk I ate, the more junk I wanted. I was never able to pull it together enough to even maintain my weight, much less lose.

Some things that really helped me this time:

- I weigh myself every day. If you’re not going to count calories or measure your food, you’d better be keeping an eye on something. It could be weight, waist measurement, a caliper pinch, a pair of jeans, but you need some kind of objective feedback. If you choose not to track your food and not to look at any of your measurements, then you’d better go buy some fat pants.

- I eat what I want but I always control portions. Generally, the more I want something, the more I need to watch out. I can play fast and loose with spinach but I’d better take my ice cream in a single-serving container.

- I share. I never used to share before. Sharing is the greatest thing ever! You get to eat whatever you want and make everyone around you fat. Try it! Order the double-fudge super cookie dough caramel delight. Eat three bites and watch your dining companions devour the rest of it like hungry hyenas. Share your French fries. Split the sandwich. Order three tacos and only eat one of them. It’s exhilarating! Plus, I always have great leftovers.

- I strike a nice balance of healthy food and treats. You can’t eat an all-treat diet and look or feel very good. I eat loads of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. I love whole grains. I eat nuts and seeds like I’m a squirrel. I’m a sucker for a big salad. I enjoy lean protein as long as it’s not forced upon me every 2-3 hours. I eat a lot of healthy whole foods but I like to add a Pop Tart or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup for good measure.

- I don’t eat six times per day, or three times per day, or three meals and two snacks. I don’t follow anybody else’s rules because how does the book or the calculator know what I’m doing or when I’m going to be hungry? It doesn’t. So, I eat when I feel like it. On an active, hungry day I might eat 5-6 times. On a lazy day with restaurant food, I might eat 2-3 times. I’m no longer dumb enough try to force three more meals after lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.

- I grasp the importance of good nutrition. I’m not knocking diet plans or nutrition programs, especially if you’re trying to achieve a sports performance or body comp goal. A little bit of structure can be good. I base my eating on the healthy principles I’ve learned but I don’t allow myself to become a slave to the details. And don’t believe that I can eat as many cookies as I want and still lose weight. Big derrrr there!

- I flow. That’s significant because I used to battle. I battled my weight. I struggled with willpower. I waged a war against fat. I fought with the numbers. I kicked myself when I slipped. My mindset was one big bloody massacre. My fitness goals were always at odds with what I really wanted, which was to relax and eat Cheetos. Now, if I want to relax and eat Cheetos, I do so immediately. No struggle. No stress. No guilt. I know that for my next meal I’ll choose something a little more ab-friendly.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #3  

If you know how to get 16 in the heading let me know.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I just fixed it for you. I have no idea what IE stands for though.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #5  

Thanks, Ruth.........intuitive eating.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie - Hi, I.E. stands for Intuitive Eating.

Sonja Banana WELCOME!! to the IE group. I agree with Obie. I don't want to count anything eiher especilly long term so IE is so much easier. I eat more of a low carb most of the time, however, not extremely low. Somedays I may eat breakfast if really want it but on days I don't want it I don't. I ate intuitively when I was growing up and when single. I was always thin when I ate this way. I also agree that you have to find the way that IE will work for you.

Obie Good post.

Carolr Haven't had a chance to read the ariticle yet but I know it will be really good. So thanks in advance.

We went out to Steak 'n Shake after church Sunday. I've bee wanting to try their Guacamole burger but was always dieting and couldn't. I decided to order it and totally enjoyed. Didn't eat all the fries that came with it only because I didnt want them. IE makes eating out such a joy. Came home and didn't eat a whole lot because I ate what I wanted. I think when we eat what we want that we won't get a lot of cravings.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #7  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Love steak and shake....and tha avocado burger is great. Have a great day everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Ruthie - Hi, I.E. stands for Intuitive Eating.

Sonja Banana WELCOME!! to the IE group. I agree with Obie. I don't want to count anything eiher especilly long term so IE is so much easier. I eat more of a low carb most of the time, however, not extremely low. Somedays I may eat breakfast if really want it but on days I don't want it I don't. I ate intuitively when I was growing up and when single. I was always thin when I ate this way. I also agree that you have to find the way that IE will work for you.

Obie Good post.

Carolr Haven't had a chance to read the ariticle yet but I know it will be really good. So thanks in advance.

We went out to Steak 'n Shake after church Sunday. I've bee wanting to try their Guacamole burger but was always dieting and couldn't. I decided to order it and totally enjoyed. Didn't eat all the fries that came with it only because I didnt want them. IE makes eating out such a joy. Came home and didn't eat a whole lot because I ate what I wanted. I think when we eat what we want that we won't get a lot of cravings.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #8  

Carolr That article is sure worth reading over and over again. And it proves it will work. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #9  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Tank B and Tank P

From the Appetite Awareness Workbook:

The experience of hunger is tricky. When you feel hungry, you may or may not have a biological need for food. You may know that you aren't truly hungry, but you still want to eat. Your body operates as if you are a car with two gas tanks. Tank B(biological hunger) is the tank for nourishing your physical body. It needs to be filled with food. Tank P (phychological hunger) is the tank for nourishing your spirit. Food doesn't fill Tank P, so you don't feel satisfied even if you eat. Hunger signals coming from Tank P indiate that you have psychological needs that aren't being met.
When you can't tell the difference between biological and phychological hunger, you are likely to try to satisfy phychological hungers with food. Eating is an easier and simpler solution than trying to meet complicated psychological needs. food may temporarily mask the discomfort of unmet phychological needs, but it takes a lot of food to silence a psychological hunger signal. Since no amount of food really fills Tank P, you are likely to feel "hungry" again soon no matter how much you eat.
When Tank B is empty, this is tru hunger. This signal appropriately tells you to eat. When Tank P is empty, you get a false hunger signal Using food to meet other needs is not very effective; it doesn't change anything that is going on in your life. To boot, if you eat too much you become overweight, which just adds another problem to your life.

Thoughts?

Last edited by TamTam; 07-16-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: forgot something
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCajun View Post
From the Appetite Awareness Workbook:

The experience of hunger is tricky. When you feel hungry, you may or may not have a biological need for food. You may know that you aren't truly hungry, but you still want to eat. Your body operates as if you are a car with two gas tanks. Tank B(biological hunger) is the tank for nourishing your physical body. It needs to be filled with food. Tank P (phychological hunger) is the tank for nourishing your spirit. Food doesn't fill Tank P, so you don't feel satisfied even if you eat. Hunger signals coming from Tank P indiate that you have psychological needs that aren't being met.
When you can't tell the difference between biological and phychological hunger, you are likely to try to satisfy phychological hungers with food. Eating is an easier and simpler solution than trying to meet complicated psychological needs. food may temporarily mask the discomfort of unmet phychological needs, but it takes a lot of food to silence a psychological hunger signal. Since no amount of food really fills Tank P, you are likely to feel "hungry" again soon no matter how much you eat.
When Tank B is empty, this is tru hunger. This signal appropriately tells you to eat. When Tank P is empty, you get a false hunger signal Using food to meet other needs is not very effective; it doesn't change anything that is going on in your life. To boot, if you eat too much you become overweight, which just adds another problem to your life.

Thoughts?
I've heard something similar to this years ago. It makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #11  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I think this is me now...I have kinda been in the places the writer describes and the weight isn't falling off, but I am pretty ok with where i am now. Everything seems to have fallin into place (fingers crossed)

I like that he does IE with safety guards. I weigh myself once a week as a guide.

I'm flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
A repeat that helps me.

This is a guest post written by Skwigg. This girl is a walking dictionary of food and nutrition facts, has read and tried MULTIPLE fitness plans, and every time I check, she’s read another “hot of the press” diet book. And, she tells it like it is.

skwigg

Well, it took like 25 years of trial and error, but I am a happy eater. I follow no rules. I count no calories. I’m completely over nutrient ratios, meal timing and measuring cups. Plus, as an added bonus, I’m not fat. Any time I’ve flirted with this “intuitive eating” stuff before, I’ve quickly become too fat for my little pants. This time I’m gradually losing. I’m 5’8″ and weigh 135-137 most days. I don’t know my percentage of body fat. It’s possible that I’m losing muscle and brains. I’m not concerned enough to get out the calipers. My Tanita scale tells me that I’m between 14% and 24% body fat. Helpful, eh? It’s like asking a Magic 8 Ball. The readout may as well say “Concentrate and ask again.” Or “Signs point to yes.” All I know is that my yoga pants are loose! Woohoo!

So, why did intuitive eating work this time when it’s destroyed my abs so many times before? I’ve been trying to figure that out. I know that in the past I’ve used intuitive eating as an excuse to binge. I’d turn to it after a bout of really restrictive dieting, or when I couldn’t face my nutrition software, or when I wasn’t accountable to a trainer. My “intuition” would tell me to eat boxes of glazed donuts and sheets of cookies. I’d gain weight, scoff at the total lameness of this “embrace your inner cow” intuitive hoody-hoo, and go right back to obsessive dieting, tracking and measuring. I wrote down every single thing I ate or drank for TWO YEARS. That was not fun, and actually not helpful.

I’m more relaxed now. I don’t make food decisions from a place of frustration and panic. My intuition really likes strawberries. I eat chocolate every day. I like bagels. I like to eat out. I’m not limiting myself to dieter food but I’m very aware of portions. I eat one Cadbury Egg, not six. I eat mini-bagels, not those bakery bagels the size of my head. I understand that a typical restaurant serving is enough to feed four people.

Last time I tried intuitive eating, portion control was my downfall. I believed those books that said to eat as many cookies as I wanted and that eventually I wouldn’t want as many. Right!! Weeks later, I still wanted every cookie that had ever been baked. I was reeling out of control on a blood sugar rollercoaster. The more junk I ate, the more junk I wanted. I was never able to pull it together enough to even maintain my weight, much less lose.

Some things that really helped me this time:

- I weigh myself every day. If you’re not going to count calories or measure your food, you’d better be keeping an eye on something. It could be weight, waist measurement, a caliper pinch, a pair of jeans, but you need some kind of objective feedback. If you choose not to track your food and not to look at any of your measurements, then you’d better go buy some fat pants.

- I eat what I want but I always control portions. Generally, the more I want something, the more I need to watch out. I can play fast and loose with spinach but I’d better take my ice cream in a single-serving container.

- I share. I never used to share before. Sharing is the greatest thing ever! You get to eat whatever you want and make everyone around you fat. Try it! Order the double-fudge super cookie dough caramel delight. Eat three bites and watch your dining companions devour the rest of it like hungry hyenas. Share your French fries. Split the sandwich. Order three tacos and only eat one of them. It’s exhilarating! Plus, I always have great leftovers.

- I strike a nice balance of healthy food and treats. You can’t eat an all-treat diet and look or feel very good. I eat loads of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. I love whole grains. I eat nuts and seeds like I’m a squirrel. I’m a sucker for a big salad. I enjoy lean protein as long as it’s not forced upon me every 2-3 hours. I eat a lot of healthy whole foods but I like to add a Pop Tart or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup for good measure.

- I don’t eat six times per day, or three times per day, or three meals and two snacks. I don’t follow anybody else’s rules because how does the book or the calculator know what I’m doing or when I’m going to be hungry? It doesn’t. So, I eat when I feel like it. On an active, hungry day I might eat 5-6 times. On a lazy day with restaurant food, I might eat 2-3 times. I’m no longer dumb enough try to force three more meals after lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.

- I grasp the importance of good nutrition. I’m not knocking diet plans or nutrition programs, especially if you’re trying to achieve a sports performance or body comp goal. A little bit of structure can be good. I base my eating on the healthy principles I’ve learned but I don’t allow myself to become a slave to the details. And don’t believe that I can eat as many cookies as I want and still lose weight. Big derrrr there!

- I flow. That’s significant because I used to battle. I battled my weight. I struggled with willpower. I waged a war against fat. I fought with the numbers. I kicked myself when I slipped. My mindset was one big bloody massacre. My fitness goals were always at odds with what I really wanted, which was to relax and eat Cheetos. Now, if I want to relax and eat Cheetos, I do so immediately. No struggle. No stress. No guilt. I know that for my next meal I’ll choose something a little more ab-friendly.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 143/136/105

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCajun View Post
Eating is an easier and simpler solution than trying to meet complicated psychological needs. food may temporarily mask the discomfort of unmet phychological needs, but it takes a lot of food to silence a psychological hunger signal. Since no amount of food really fills Tank P, you are likely to feel "hungry" again soon no matter how much you eat... To boot, if you eat too much you become overweight, which just adds another problem to your life.
While I agree with the need to distinguish between physical and psychological hunger, I'm not convinced by the idea of "unmet psychological needs." It strikes me as the kind of myth that shrinks would want to spread to keep themselves in business, no?

Personally, I almost always feel like eating and when the urge becomes really strong I could be nervous, or happy, or angry, and calm—there's no emotional trigger. When I stopped bingeing I didn't feel like some deep psychological need rose to the surface; nothing in my life changed except that I felt a lot more in control. I tend to actually think that the negative emotions that we associate with overeating are directly caused by the overeating itself, and nothing else. When you feel fat and bloated it's easy to think that everything in your life is harder.

My philosophy is that if you can't feel it in your stomach, it's not hunger. It's just deep-rooted instincts that don't apply to modern life. From an evolutionary standpoint, it's very advantageous to eat at every opportunity, so of course our brains will trick us into thinking we're hungry. But it doesn't mean anything and we don't have to pay it any attention.
Sonia Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #13  

Quote:
My philosophy is that if you can't feel it in your stomach, it's not hunger. It's just deep-rooted instincts that don't apply to modern life. From an evolutionary standpoint, it's very advantageous to eat at every opportunity, so of course our brains will trick us into thinking we're hungry. But it doesn't mean anything and we don't have to pay it any attention.
Very interesting.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #14  

I started reading The Eden Diet and found the workbook and decided that since my attitude has changed that I am so ready to study this book. So I am starting it today. Tammy Are you doing The Eden Diet/workbook?

Quote:
Sonia wrote...While I agree with the need to distinguish between physical and psychological hunger, I'm not convinced by the idea of "unmet psychological needs
Sonia - Your reasoning is interesting. However, in my own experience, I personally had a lot of psychological/emotional eating myself which was caused by different things and situations that happened to me in my life. Learning what the psychological/emotional triggers were has helped a lot to get control of my eating for which I am so thankful.

Quote:
Frome the article Carolrshared... So, why did intuitive eating work this time when it’s destroyed my abs so many times before? I’ve been trying to figure that out. I know that in the past I’ve used intuitive eating as an excuse to binge. I’d turn to it after a bout of really restrictive dieting and go right back to obsessive dieting, tracking and measuring. I wrote down every single thing I ate or drank. That was not fun, and actually not helpful.

I’m more relaxed now. I don’t make food decisions from a place of frustration and panic. My intuition really likes strawberries. I eat chocolate every day. I like to eat out. I’m not limiting myself to dieter food but I’m very aware of portions.

In some ways and a few changes, I could have written this myself. I believe I also used IE to binge in the past. For me it is potato chips not cookies. I'm like an alcoholic with chips... once they are open, I can't put them down until I eat them all. Now I'm more relaxed and I know I can eat whatever I want except I have to admit that at this point "potato chips" are one thing I cannot eat because it turns into a binge. My attitude now is that I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want. It doesn't have to be meal time or snack time. I don't eat 3x a day or 2-3 snacks each day. I eat when I am hungry. Sometimes, I think of something I want to eat, but I am busy so I wait until I'm through with what I'm doing only to realize that I've that I have forgotten what I was going to eat and what I thought was hunger is totally gone.

Carolr You have no idea how this article has helped me. It came just when I needed it to show me that while I don't want to get into rules too much with IE, I love the way this writer has found ways to make IE work for him/her and confirms for me that some of the things he/she is doing that I do myself will work. I think we do learn or create little things I have read that others do or have done. For example, I try to leave at least 1 bite of food on my plate to re-enforce the idea that I DO NOT have to eat everything on my plate. However, it is not a hard fast rule written in stone, because if I really want to eat everything, I do.

I've come to believe that Intuitive Eating is a personal thing that we have to make our own and learn to do it the way it fits us and our lifestyle.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #15  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

[QUOTE=pattygirl63;4408280]I started reading The Eden Diet and found the workbook and decided that since my attitude has changed that I am so ready to study this book. So I am starting it today. Tammy Are you doing The Eden Diet/workbook?
QUOTE]

Yes, I am doing the Eden Book and Workbook. I read the book already and now I am doing the workbook but I am going slower this time to absorb it more. I also have her cd's and the first one is the battle with the flesh, I have not had a chance to listen to it yet, but I plan on doing so. There is a forum for those of us following the Eden DIet. If you google it and go to the website there is a community you can sign up for. God BLess and keep me update on your progress. Tammy
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote