Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #1  
christie5683

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Messed up bad

I changed my diet per a Dr show on TV and my TSH increased to 13.71 (normal range 0.40-4.5). Was on .2mg levothyroxine. He has increased my dosage to .3mg as there is no .25mg. I gained weight while my husband lost 50 lbs. in 1 1/2 yrs.
I began eating what most people consider healthy....whole grain bread, high fiber bran, lowfat dairy, beans, brown rice, and of course fruit and veges. It has darn near killed me!!! I feel awful, bloated, tired, grumpy, stressed, increased b/p, thinning hair; etc. All the symptoms I had when I was first diagnosed 20 years ago. Thank goodness there is more research on thyroid info available online now.
I am now back on a low carb diet (as of today) and hope it helps with my next blood work test in august.
Suggestions appreciated. Wish me luck!
christie5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I'd go back to what was working for you before! Not every way of eating is right for every body.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Grains, legumes, and fruiTs and veggies en masse are not actually healthy for most people - for me, for example, that would be a highly infmallatory diet and I'd experience many negative symptoms.

Go to a whole foods, low inflammation diet. I highly, highly recommend the Perfect Health Diet. Something like Atkins would probably work wonders for you, too. But get away from sugar, grains, legumes, and most dairy, if you can, for at least six weeks. Then add it back in slowly and see if you can if d what you're reacting to. Nightshades like peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes could also be an issue for you, and may be good veggies to ditch temporarily while trying to get your immune system under control as well.

But either way, a higher fat, moderate protein, moderate to low carb diet will likely be much better for your system if you recited that badly to the common wisdom's diet of grains, beans, and produce. It is surprisingly awful advice for most bodies and those more sensitive to nutrition either by insulin resistance/metabolic disease, adrenal fatigue, autoimmune disorders, or similar conditions almost always do better with low inflammatory diets and higher fat.

Perhaps check out the "Stop The Thyroid Madness" page online as well, you may be able to glean wiser advice for your situation. Either way it is reversible, but it may require drastic changes in food intake quantities and type.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 07-13-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Typos like crazy
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I'd like to point out that the range is actually 0.3-3.0 now according to American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, though many still go by the old standards and leave people under treated. I was also going to suggest Stop the Thyroid Madness.

Last edited by twinieten; 07-13-2012 at 11:41 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote