Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #1  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

Default Tofu Shirataki noodles!

Hi All:
I have been looking for the zero cal miracle noodles in my area and cannot find them. I did stumble on House Foods Tofu Shiratki noodles this morning in the produce section of my local chain market (Hannaford Foods).
You can see them at
http://www.house-foods.com/Tofu/tofu_shirataki.aspx
They come in an 8oz bag...Angel Hair, Fettuccine, Spaghetti....
They have 20 calories to half a bag (4 oz)...
3 total carbs
2 fiber
0 sugar
1 protein
Gluten & Dairy free

Bought a package to try as 20 calories is not going to change my program any, and 1 net carb, well...not a problem.
Just sharing the info...have no idea if they are any good as making them tonight with roasted pork tenderloin so will know then. I have never in my life had tofu so this should be fun!
Have a great day!
Jake
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #2  
Dieting Since Birth!

PS: These are packed in water...you have to rinse them, then boil for like 2-3 minutes and then use them how you want. I will use in a veggie stir fry with my olive oil and herbs and spices and lots of hot peppers!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Those noodles are pretty awesome....if you can stomach them LOL. I personally can't do it.

Make sure you rinse them very well.....out of the package they have a "fishy" smell. I don't believe you have to boil them either, they are packaged pre-cooked.

There are a few good tips around here with ways to cook them.

Let us know how yours turn out!

Last edited by mammasita; 07-11-2012 at 11:31 AM.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

You don't need to boil, but they taste best if you (1) RINSE them WELL; (2) dab them dry with a paper towel; and (3) toss them in a frying pan for a few minutes ... the last step removes more moisture and makes the texture better. And they do best with asian-type sauces. I usually use Braggs Liquid Aminos (it is like soy sauce) and then add onions, green peppers, etc. along in the frying pan!
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #5  
Dieting Since Birth!

Sounds good to me! My plan was asian style anyway and I use lots of herbs and spices always so if they pick up the flavor of those and the oil, I am thinking it could be promising!

They sound a whole bunch better then the miracle noodles which (are not tofu) based on the reviews I read...

I am cautiously hopeful and at only $1.79 a package, affordable anyway...

Cheers!
Jake
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/176/155

Height: 5'9"

I bought some this weekend at our Asian mart. I always forget to add them to things I'm making though, so its a bit of a failure LOL
NOVAScents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #7  
Rye
Bread

Height: 5'7

I didnt like them the first time I made them (some stir-fry concoction). I think I'd like them better if I put them in a soup.
One thing to remeber is they are tofu, so if you are expecting some kind of spaghetti noodle type thing you will be in for a surprise!
Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #8  
Dieting Since Birth!

I have never had tofu in my life...so tonight will be a first! I am just hoping to make my meal a bit more filling for me...
Jake
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/224/195

Height: 6'2"

I've got 2 packs of those in my fridge that the wife bought and I'm trying to build up the courage to eat them...but every time I hold that gooey slimy bag in my hands I gag a little and can't get myself to cook them.

So keep us posted!
Cas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #10  
Dieting Since Birth!

Well I am not too brave either, but I AM hungry...haha...so I will give my report tonight after dinner and let you know if they can be made to be any good!
Cheers
Jake
Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #11  
Dieting Since Birth!

OK...the dinner event is now completed and I am ready to give my report!
I made an oven roasted pork tenderloin with herbs and spices...it was marinaded in 1/4 cup Lo Salt Soy sauce, olive oil (2 tbsp), sea salt, black pepper, minced garlic, powdered sage, and 2 tbsp dijon mustard. Then placed into a bake pan and baked at 350 for 1 hour whcih cooked it the way we like (well).

Tofu Shirataki: First, opening the bag: Cut with scissors and I smell inside the bag: NO SMELL at all...ZIP! And I mean no smell to them! Cool so far...
I made the Spaghetti version... I dumped the noodles into a collander and rinsed well and then dumped them onto paper towels to drain. Then into a hot fry pan with 2 spoonfuls of the marinade I had set aside from earlier and tossed them good with that sauce on med-high heat. They took on the color and flavor of the marinade perfectly. That being said:

Texture: EXACTLY like slightly over-cooked Ramen noodles...very comfortable to eat,...not overly mushy but "somewhat" mushy.
Taste: As the marinade I made was awesome, the flavor was awesome too and I totally enjoyed these!

I WILL buy these again and use like a restricted item...as they are 20 calories (1/2 package)...and only 1 net carb.

Delicious, no problem to cook, no odor at all, just awesome!I would think anyone would like these and recommend them. They will only taste as good as you make them taste...you have no idea it is tofu while eating but rather slightly mushy ramen noodles and that is exactly accurate.

Cheers!
Jake
Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #12  

Default Shirataki Noodles

I have tried many of the varieties of shirataki noodles however like Miracle Noodle the best, no calories, carbs or tofu. I prefer the noodles without the tofu! After rinsing well, I boil them, about one minute made sure to pat dry them and then......add to so many dishes and soups..I try to be creative with the many sauces I use..they take on the flavor of whatever I add them to. I check freqently with their Facebook page for wonderful easy recipes too. healthy, helps me with my weight reduction and maintenance program, and delicious..a win win! Hope this helps.
sheilsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #13  
Adult Member

S/C/G: 196/184/160

Height: 5'3

I was just looking at these in the store. The nutritionist there made a funny face and said, "they smell fishy, so make sure you really RINSE them well." Her face said, "YUCK!!!" I picked up the bag and it was cold an squishy; I put it back!! Thanks for sharing your experience :O))
Aussieluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #14  
Dieting Since Birth!

I think people are confusing the two noodles and their traits.

Miracle Noodles: are not tofu...and stink like fish when you open the package. Zero calories.

House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles: is a Tofu product, has no smell, and is 20 calories per 4oz serving.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth357 View Post
OK...the dinner event is now completed and I am ready to give my report!
I made an oven roasted pork tenderloin with herbs and spices...it was marinaded in 1/4 cup Lo Salt Soy sauce, olive oil (2 tbsp), sea salt, black pepper, minced garlic, powdered sage, and 2 tbsp dijon mustard. Then placed into a bake pan and baked at 350 for 1 hour whcih cooked it the way we like (well).

Tofu Shirataki: First, opening the bag: Cut with scissors and I smell inside the bag: NO SMELL at all...ZIP! And I mean no smell to them! Cool so far...
I made the Spaghetti version... I dumped the noodles into a collander and rinsed well and then dumped them onto paper towels to drain. Then into a hot fry pan with 2 spoonfuls of the marinade I had set aside from earlier and tossed them good with that sauce on med-high heat. They took on the color and flavor of the marinade perfectly. That being said:

Texture: EXACTLY like slightly over-cooked Ramen noodles...very comfortable to eat,...not overly mushy but "somewhat" mushy.
Taste: As the marinade I made was awesome, the flavor was awesome too and I totally enjoyed these!

I WILL buy these again and use like a restricted item...as they are 20 calories (1/2 package)...and only 1 net carb.

Delicious, no problem to cook, no odor at all, just awesome!I would think anyone would like these and recommend them. They will only taste as good as you make them taste...you have no idea it is tofu while eating but rather slightly mushy ramen noodles and that is exactly accurate.

Cheers!
Jake
You are DA MAN!! Thanks for the awesome review!!! I'm going tofu noodle hunting!!! Thanks Jake!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote