Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default I've come to terms with having the lamest comfort food ever.

Juice.
Always.
All I ever want is juice.
I've tried lemon water, cucumber water, crystal light...

But I would gladly give up a chocolate snack for a glass of juice I could sip through out the day :C

I just feel like this is the weirdest ever, and also really stupid because at least if you like chocolate you can have a midday fiber one bar and be full and happy
:C

Does anyone else just...really frickin' love juice?
Also how bad is that? I know it's sugary and everything but compared to a milky way?
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

I really love juice too. It's not really my go to comfort food but i do really love it. Its just so packed with flavor and you can kinda savor it for a while if you have a decent size glass of it. you're not weird lol

It is pretty sugary but I've found a few "diet" fruit juices that taste really good. I'm really not sure how they make it "diet"...i guess they might have articial sweeteners which is arguably bad, too. I've found with diet versions the best kinds are the ones that have multiple fruits/flavors in them. Like diet cranberry grape is good. A lot of the diet versions seem to just be weaker but when its 2 flavors mixed together it tends to help with that.
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

I used to be that way and still love juice. Yea, I know it is said to be sugar and bad and all that jazz but if you are okay blood sugar wise with it and count your calories it sure seems it is better than a milky way.

Also juice can be made more healthy. If you are making your own with a juicer, you could try getting a good blender and making blended juice instead with frozen fruit (no sugar) and you'd get all the fiber benefits of whole fruit in an amazing concotion. Also with a juicer you can make the juice and take the fiber and put in muffins or something and eat those, too.

Some of the juice products in the grocery are healthier than others, but if you choose wisely, there should be no reason in my opinion why you should not have your juice.

If you have blood sugar issues or are a diabetic, you'd have to talk to your diabetic educator or doctor.

Another wonderful way to enjoy juice is to cut it in half with selzter water or a sugar free sparkling soda (I know people think this is unhealthy, too) and put in a big glass with ice. So refreshing and elegant on a hot summer day, half the sugar and calories.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #4  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

I've been going over things that we like and dislike in my 5th grade English class, and I've yet to have a kid (in 5 classes of 40-ish kids each) say "I don't like juice." We played a game where I held up a vocab card and asked "Do you like _______?" and had the kids run to one side of the room if they did and the opposite if they didn't. I think the juice card came up after rabbits (oddly enough kids seem to either love them or hate them in Japan) and all of the kids on the "don't like" side of the room cheered and ran to the "like" side for juice. Ice cream wasn't unanimous, but juice was...so really I don't think it's that strange
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

I'm really, REALLY glad I'm not alone, lol.
My mom gave me no water as a kid, just milk and juice :/ So now I can hardly stand water. So I'm trying to give my little guy juice as a treat and water for what he drinks for the rest of the day.

Quote:
Also juice can be made more healthy. If you are making your own with a juicer, you could try getting a good blender and making blended juice instead with frozen fruit (no sugar) and you'd get all the fiber benefits of whole fruit in an amazing concotion. Also with a juicer you can make the juice and take the fiber and put in muffins or something and eat those, too.
That's a really good idea. I think I'll do that

Quote:
It is pretty sugary but I've found a few "diet" fruit juices that taste really good. I'm really not sure how they make it "diet"...i guess they might have articial sweeteners which is arguably bad, too. I've found with diet versions the best kinds are the ones that have multiple fruits/flavors in them. Like diet cranberry grape is good. A lot of the diet versions seem to just be weaker but when its 2 flavors mixed together it tends to help with that.
I'll try that, I think we have lots of diet cranberry+other flavored juices around here so I'll take a look at cran grape. It'd make sense that the flavor would be a bit better with 2 different types.

Quote:
Ice cream wasn't unanimous, but juice was...so really I don't think it's that strange
That makes me happy to hear. Haha.
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Maybe investigate the juice cravings? It is a massive spike to your blood sugar and it could be that you're slightly insulin resistant and the 'high' of juice's fast-processing sugar hit is what you crave, more than the juice, itself? It is pretty terrible for your health, especially if you have symptoms of metabolic disorder. Just something to think about, this could be a symptom of broader health issues to work on?
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #7  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotaruchan View Post
I've been going over things that we like and dislike in my 5th grade English class, and I've yet to have a kid (in 5 classes of 40-ish kids each) say "I don't like juice." We played a game where I held up a vocab card and asked "Do you like _______?" and had the kids run to one side of the room if they did and the opposite if they didn't. I think the juice card came up after rabbits (oddly enough kids seem to either love them or hate them in Japan) and all of the kids on the "don't like" side of the room cheered and ran to the "like" side for juice. Ice cream wasn't unanimous, but juice was...so really I don't think it's that strange
HAHA, as ESL teacher, I love this idea for a game! Maybe I'll try it with my kiddos here in Thailand and investigate the juice situation!

I was never really a juice person until this past year. Especially on hot days, it's all I ever want to drink (there's a fresh squeezed OJ cart right outside my house!) I don't think I could ever give it up, but I do usually cut mine with water or if you don't like what that does to the taste, try half a glass.
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Juice is the only non-alcoholic drink with calories that my dh drinks. He doesn't drink coffee or tea. He doesn't drink milk. He gave up Coke and all of those years ago. He drinks lots and lots of water. But juice is his line in the sand. Specifically orange or grapefruit juice. He has about 1 cup every morning. You definitely are not alone.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

Funny, I've never been a huge juice drinker but I was recently recovering from an infection (shout out to UTIs and my kidneys), and it really knocked me down. My recovery time was much longer than anticipated (a month or so) and during that time, I had no alcohol (I'm a regular beer drinker, or was) and even cleaned up my diet a bit. I thought for sure I'd lose a few pounds just on that alone. Nope, I GAINED. I realized I'd been drinking insane amounts of cranberry juice. "100% juice, no sugar added." 120 calories for 8 oz. And 8 oz. is nothing relative to the amount I was drinking every day. I've since knocked that off, though, I occasionally have a cup as a treat and for some of the benefits. But, you know, just a cup
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I RARELY drink juice, but I do enjoy it very much at the random times I do have a glass.

Interesting what Taryl said though! Might be worth looking into.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #11  

Height: 5'6

Now that its hot out, I love having a glass or two of lemonade or cranberry-raspberry juice but I like to literally put the tiniest amount in a huge glass of water. Trust me its so satisfying, especially since juice on its own is so sweet. Too sweet. And this way you can have 1,2 or even 3 cups with the same amount of HALF a regular cup of juice (varies depending on person, I love juice and water when almost the entire thing is water lol)
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Like Scout, I went through a kidney stone/kidney infection issue. And my doctor recommended cranberry juice. Because of the high calorie content, and because I was supposed to be drinking lots of water to flush the stone/infection anyway, I did what LuckyStreak suggested. I find that I much prefer using juice as a flavoring rather than just drinking it straight. However, my doctor told me that there is no real kidney-related benefit to doing it that way. So, I drank a straight 4 ounces of cranberry juice for a while, but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as using the juice as a flavoring.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I have never been a big juice fan but I recently bought a juicer and will sometimes make myself fresh apple juice. I figure that all it is is apples with no additives so it can't be all bad. Maybe you need a juicer? Golden delicious apple juice is delicious :P
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 208/133/120

Height: 5'1"

Have you tried making yourself fresh lemonade? I've been making mine with fresh lemon juice, water, and stevia. Not many calories and so refreshing.
LucyRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 247/197/175

Height: 5'6

Ice cold orange juice is one of my biggest weaknesses. I don't keep it in my house because I WILL drink the entire carton in a matter of minutes.
tinamariex16 is offline   Reply With Quote