Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Default Atheist chicks!

Since there's a forum for religious people, I thought it would be great if there was one for atheists/anti-theists/humanists too.

So here it is! Introduce yourself, tell us what your weight goal is, and how you're doing it!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #2  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

I'm surprised nobody's replied. I call myself a naturalist usually, but that's just cause I'm a hippy.

I'm pretty close to my goal, but kind of trying to maintain where I'm at while slowly losing where I can. These last few are tough, so I can't quite decide what to do. lol Just calorie counting.

Last edited by Astrild; 06-22-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #3  
Vegalitarian

I'm seriously curious where all the atheist chicks are. lol Don't pretend you're not out there...!!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #4  
Vegalitarian

Hi Jez! I'm in much the same boat. The 130s were pretty normal for me much of my life, but just keeps creeping up to the upper 140s time and again! I tend to just stop thinking about my weight for a while, and then bam, it blows up again. I also had disordered eating problems for a long time, but have worked through most of it just by doing the right things and changing my mindset. I guess I have somewhat high standards for myself, but nowadays it's more out of personal preference and cause you only live once! Good luck!!

Last edited by Astrild; 07-08-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #5  
Rye
Bread

Height: 5'7

I dont think people are as willing to admit they are atheist as they are to admit they are religious....Its weird really. Ive had other atheists explain themselves as "religiousless" in an attempt to ease their way into saying atheists....
I dont blame them much, people in my town will jump down your throat with all kinds of bulls* if they find out you arent a jesus lover.

Im doing p90x, sadly though ive recently taken a break from it since I hurt myself (a totally unrelated injury cause by a trampoline). I want to get back into it.
I dont really want to focus on weight (thought 56 kilos would be nice haha) so my goal is more of an "appearance" goal. Im not terribly far, but it just seems to be taking for ever you know?
Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #6  
Vegalitarian

That's pretty interesting. I guess where you live can have an impact. This is kind of a quiet sub forum though. I post on another weight loss forum whose atheist thread is always bustling, so I assume there are plenty of us out there.

Atheism's a sharply growing demographic in my age group, so I've never felt worried about being outspoken. The only dissent I've encountered were a couple former friends telling me that they hated atheists. After I embraced atheism however, I don't think their attitudes changed towards me. That kind of thing just makes me want to identify even more openly, because many people just have a negative view of us, whereas I've been told I'm really quite nice. I don't want to fit into their mold of what an atheist is like... I want to change the mold and represent.

My only issue with identifying primarily as 'atheist', while it works for casual conversation, is that it focuses on something I don't believe in...and never even think about. It's like calling myself an a-unicornist. God just isn't a part of my mindset one way or another. Naturalism is 100% me and the way I think, even though they might basically mean the same thing to others.

Last edited by Astrild; 07-11-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #7  
Rye
Bread

You've got a point.
Ive been told that I am "Too nice" to be an atheist. Even my own mother confused it with satanism when I first told her. (on the other hand I've often been surprised when I find out some of my friends are religious. So I suppose I have some pre-notions about religious people as well *.*')
But, just as there are christians giving other christians a bad name, there are 'atheists' giving people horrible ideas about us.

What is the other weight-loss forum you post on?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #8  
Vegalitarian

haha yeah... Or the notion that we just hate god. ...I don't believe in god, so how can I hate him/her/it? I guess it can confuse people who have based their entire lives on having a belief system... It actually confuses me that people take it for granted that we're born atheists. I don't see why it's so taboo, or why we have to explain ourselves... and yet they don't have to explain their beliefs.

Quote:
What is the other weight-loss forum you post on?
I don't know if I can mention other sites...? It's associated with an app... (LoseIt!) There are plenty of overweight atheists in the world. ahha Just not here, apparently... :/
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Hi all! I just joined this forum and I'm pleased to see a place for atheists. I'm an atheist. The kind of atheist who just flatly states that gods don't exist and I usually refuse to get drawn down the "but you can't know that" rabbit hole.

As for my weight loss, I started at 298, I'm currently at 245 and I'm using Weight Watchers Online.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #10  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Saw this the other day - I always liked the idea, you know about how many different gods there are and how many people believe in but I like his attitude, very light hearted.

Anyway, hi everyone! I just didn't see this post before and I haven't really looked in this section before, I just happened to see a 'new post'. Glad I found it, I think when I first joined I did a search for Atheism but not much came up.

Nice to meet you all
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I am also an atheist!!! Hoping to get down to the 150's and beyond! I am doing the old Weight Watchers flex plan at home.
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #12  
Rye
Bread

@LeilaJey Wow I love that so much!
But I can see people freaking out on me "NO! I believe in THE GOD!"

Im stealing the picture
Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 192/163/138

Height: 5"8

Another Anti-theist here. I have lost almost 30lbs by cutting out soda and juice, scaling back on the snacking, and walking a few times a week. I hope to lose another 25lbs by exercising more, eating more fruit and veggies, and just finding a general diet that can work for me in the long run.
GobabyGoGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #14  
Vegalitarian

What do you all think about the gender gap with atheism? I'd never thought about it before, and assumed it would be 50/50 male-female... but apparently not. I wonder if the relative quietness of this thread (as opposed to the other forum I go to) could be because there's mostly women here?

I found a blog that noted the difference between atheist males & females (as of 2010?) and the United States was as follows:

Males: Not Religious 28.9%; Atheist 6.0%

Females: Not Religious: 20.1%; Atheist: 1.2%

:/

Last edited by Astrild; 08-21-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #15  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've moved farther away from identifying as an atheist and closer to identifying as an agnostic as I've gotten older. I've also recently developed an interest in Buddhism, but that's another story....

I haven't posted here before because I don't think my lack of belief in the existence of gods or necessity of religion has any direct bearing on my weight loss efforts.

Last edited by theox; 08-22-2012 at 10:36 PM.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote