Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 01:00 PM   #1  

Default I ate out of jealousy and anger

Hi,

Last night we went to visit friends. I knew I would cheat, cause we were getting Italian food...anyway, I don't know what did it, but I just got so jealous of my friend. I'll call her Linda. She is naturally skinny-no exercise, and eats like a truck driver (my husband's words, not mine) They actually keep a bowl of miniature hershey bars out in their family room. She has a high paying job, with an arrangement to work from home two days a week. Their parents and in laws watch their daughter, so they don't have to pay for day care. They have new furniture in almost every room (though I don't know if it's all paid for). She's also very pretty, and always has really nice, expensive clothes.

I know I'm very fortunate with what I have-but I just got very jealous all at once, and ATE, and ATE. I had planned to not to eat any of the chips/dip that Linda put out, but I did (and I don't even really like potato chips) I had planned not to eat any bread, to get a salad instead of soup, and only eat half of my entree. I ate about four pieces of bread, and ate my whole entree-ravioli in vodka cream sauce with sun dried tomatoes...and ate some of the chocolate.

What is wrong with me? I feel terrible now.

Thanks for listening,
Sherry

Last edited by suzie76; 08-31-2003 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

Oh, Sherry ...

Well, you are not alone. We have all done that, and probably worse. Look at it this way, you didn't have too much to drink, have a hissy fit, and insult your friend and tell the whole world that it isn't fair, so it could have been much worse

Now, it's time to forgive yourself, write out a list of 10 things in your life you are grateful for, and eat healthily today.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:54 PM   #3  

Oh Sweetie, I know that I have definitely done that, and I bet that a lot us have. Don't beat yourself up for it. If we didn't let our emotions cause us to eat, most of us wouldn't be here. The point is, you're making a lot of positive changes, and learning to change this. We all have setbacks. Don't let this throw you off track. Eat healthy today, stay OP, and know that you are not alone.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:55 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

Nothing's wrong with you, unless being a member of the human race is wrong! If we didn't let frustration, anger, jealousy and other destructive emotions out from time to time we'd explode! Don't feel terrible - what's done is done and feeling bad about it won't change anything. And even though you didn't like using food as your weapon of choice, KristasMom is right, you could have "let it all out" in much more harmful (and potentially embarrassing) ways. The irony is, for all "Linda" has, no doubt she's jealous of others too - it's human nature.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:34 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I know just how you feel Sherry. It is so hard not to be jealous. I'm sure your friend has her demons to deal with. Her life may look good on the outside but who knows what is on the inside. As far as eating I've done the same thing at get togethers with friends. Don't let it get you down. You can do it.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you! Everyone gets jealous and envious--even your friend who seems to have everything.

How good of a friend is she? If she's a good friend, you might want to share with her, in a nice way, how you feel. Once you get it out, then you won't feel like hurting yourself so much. I would bet she would be amazed that you feel that way. If you can't tell her how you feel, hopefully sharing with us will help enough that if you ever feel that way again, you can take a step back and remember how bad it felt to deal with that emotion with food.

I really admire you for recognizing your feelings! So many of us would have eaten and not known why. You are truly making positive steps in the right direction, no matter how terrible you feel now.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:12 PM   #7  
missaprylj

Jeeze louise... look at it like this: you could have eaten WAY WAY worse. And, even scariest of all, you could *not* care about it. At least you realize that was the wrong thing. A couple months/years ago, would you have eaten like that and not thought anything of it? You've probably come a long way. Like everyone else has said, just don't let that be the "well, I've ruined the whole plan, so I'm going to eat whatever the **** i want now" moment. Thanks for sharing. -Apryl

Old 09-01-2003, 12:35 AM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

People whose lives look perfect are often just the opposite. You could've said, "Well, I blew it, hello ice cream sundae!", but you didn't, way to go! Like the others said, at least you recognized it & were able to stop yourself.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:16 AM   #9  
Om shanti

I also eat when stressed; I think I want to find a different avenue for that energy from now one. Maybe I'll take up kickboxing!
Closed Thread