Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/285/200

Height: 5'6.5

Default 1st Week ... HARD

Is it just me or is the 1st week of dieting/lifestyle change the hardest?

I started last Thursday & did fairly well on the weekend (not perfect but I wanted to officially start on Monday however I made good choices when out for dinner this weekend & in a stressful situation as MrN was involved in a minor car accident & we had to hunt down a tire rim + 2 new tires).

I'm finding that by 3pm I'm starving (yesterday my food was: 3 pieces of fruit (throughout the day), shake for breakfast (slim fast) & b/c I wasn't sure how hungry I'd be I had brought a sandwich made with Country Harvest Ancient Grains bread (whole grains, lots of fibre, not too high on calories) with natural chunky PB and for dinner I had a broiled fish filet (with lemon & pepper) and a big garden salad (no cheese).

I drank my shake at work over the corse of 1/2 hour, had a banana at my break, sandwich at lunch with a nectarine & some grapes, and by 3pm I was starved so when I got home I cooked my fish but then put a 5lb chicken on to roast so I'd have food for today & tomorrow (plus MrN likes roast chicken), while dinner was cooking I snacked on some "tea" cookies then felt guilty so I walked my puppy further than normal and took him for a 2nd walk before bed.

Today I hope to not be so hungry after work so my food is:
Slim Fast Shake blended with strawberries & milk (breaky)
Banana (snack)
Chicken & Garden Salad (lunch)
Nectarine & FF Yogurt (Activa)
Slim Fast Shake blende with milk (dinner)
and if I'm still hungry I'll have a garden salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato & green pepper)
Green Tea (hr before bed)
then throughout the day I drink 2.5 -3L of water at work and another 1L at home.

Does this sound like enough?
MrsN2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I think that the first week is the hardest and I believe many others will agree. That is why so many people quit. (We have all been there.)

We are all different, so what works for one will not necessarily work for everyone. Your planned food for today would not be enough food for me. Slim Fast Shakes for breakfast and dinner would not satisfy me. I recommend that you add more meat and lots of vegetables. Carrots, green beans, and broccoli have been my diet salvation.

Just don't give up. Keep tweaking your food plan until you find what works for you!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I recommend cutting out the fruit for now, or at most one serving a day. It is high in sugar, and yes it is natural sugar but it can still increase cravings and doesn't fill you up for long. Try nuts, cheese, yogurt, beef jerky, even small protein bars instead
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #4  

Thanks for your suggestings ladies!!

@juliana77 I'm trying to stay away from processed stuff (i.e. protein bars, jerkey, cheese), I'm trying to have as much "clean" food as possible + my Slim Fast shakes.
I'll try to add more veggies and cut down on fruit (1-2 servings) but I want to ensure I get at least 5 servings of fruit & veg in a day (so maybe I'll do 1 serving with my shake (blended in) along with 1 other piece of fruit during the day) and then stick to veggies and have some nuts & yogurt in addition to my salad & protein.

@time2lose With Slim Fast it's 2 shakes/day + 1 balanced meal (protein, veg & small 'good' carbs) + healthy snacks so I'll aim for more protein in my snacks via nuts & yogurt.

I want to have a lifestyle change & get in the habit of choosing clean, natural products and not relying on packaged foods.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

You can do it!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

First of all, you can do it!

Ok, so after looking at your diet, I think you need to get some protein in there. I eat fruit a few times a day too, but i ALWAYS have protein with it. The carbs in the fruit help your body break down the protein, and in the long run it keeps you full! i have been going for a little over a week now and the only time I am hungry is about 15 minutes before my next meal! So, I believe if you get some protein in there you will be just fine
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #7  
Mother/Daughter team

S/C/G: hw292 rsw265 cw252 gw180

Height: 5'9

Reason why its so hard is because food is like a drug. You eat the stuff on a consistant basis and once you stop your body goes into detox mode. I know thats exactly what happened to me when I cut out all sugar. I was so lethargic first few days. But once I adjusted I felt better than I ever had. Hang in there hun! It will get better!
Scilla90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone!! I've been doing some research & also listening to my body so I've decided that 1 SF shake per day alone with 2 meals is better (i.e. today I'm having about 3oz of baked chicken breast [skinless & boneless] with a good sized garden salad & for dinner I'll have broiled fish [made 2 pieces last night] along w/ 1/2 cup cooked WW couscous & some steamed brocolli or cauliflower and then my snacks today were a banana, yogurt & an apple or nectarine (I have both but am only going to eat 1 to cut down on fruit & save the other for tomorrow with some grapes).

When I go grocery shopping this weekend I'll pick up some nuts to have with snacks for protein.
Also I was thinking I'd boil up 5 eggs and then have a hard boiled egg in the AM (without yolk) for protein as well then drink my SF shake @ work.

That all seems like so much food, I'm used to skipping breaky, sometimes getting lunch @ work then snacking in the evening so having actual meals & snacks seems like a LOT of food to me.

What do y'all think of air popped popcorn in the evening (will portion it into 1.5cup servings) or bring to work for the mid-day snack to munch on?
I think it will help me with my cravings and snacking @ night (won't eat evry night/day), I won't add butter or salt, I actually like it on it's own.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/ticker/175

The first week was the hardest for me too! You can do it and it will get easier! I found that I had to restrict the carbs and up my protein and fat in order to avoid cravings. Even though it was so different than what had been drilled into me my whole life, I've found that upping the fat in my diet has helped a lot. So, I eat hard boiled eggs, add avocado to my salads, snack on nuts, add peanut butter to my apple slices, etc. It keeps me full much longer and it reduces my cravings. If I have carbs in the afternoon, even fruit, without protein, I start craving more carbs right away. I am not super low-carb but I try to keep them low and full of fiber. And I try to not have carbs other than veggies with my dinner to avoid the after-dinner carb cravings. Good luck!!
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

If you like having a shake, check into alternatives that are higher in protein and lower in sugar than the Slimfast. Good luck!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #11  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I'm used to skipping breaky, sometimes getting lunch @ work then snacking in the evening so having actual meals & snacks seems like a LOT of food to me.
Just a little fyi on what may work too, if you're already used to skipping breakfast, then continue to skip it! I found the way for me to combat my crazy afternoon hunger was to really fill up on lunch. And the way to do that and still keep under my calories is to skip breakfast, or sometimes I have a banana. Then I have a lunch that really satisfies me, so I feel FULL and now I am coasting to dinner time. I actually rarely snack at all during the day now, which is crazy because I used to be hungry to the point of distraction every day, where I couldn't focus or function doing anything else until I ate something. But now, it's just a big lunch and medium dinner, with a splurge day once a week if I am craving something. We're all different of course, but just picked up on your comment about skipping breakfast, I find I do much better making it to lunch without eating than I ever did trying not to eat in the afternoon.

Slimfast has worked for me in the past for a quick fix... if I wanted to lose a bunch fast over a few weeks. but couldn't do it more than that, I found I was just starving with them and couldn't sustain it.

HTH!!

Last edited by DaugT; 07-10-2012 at 03:45 PM.
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana77 View Post
If you like having a shake, check into alternatives that are higher in protein and lower in sugar than the Slimfast. Good luck!
I was thinking of a Whey Protein shake instead of SF, I have French Vanilla Whey Protein powder, well actually it's MrN's but he hasn't been using it so it's mine now!!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaugT View Post
Just a little fyi on what may work too, if you're already used to skipping breakfast, then continue to skip it! I found the way for me to combat my crazy afternoon hunger was to really fill up on lunch. And the way to do that and still keep under my calories is to skip breakfast, or sometimes I have a banana. Then I have a lunch that really satisfies me, so I feel FULL and now I am coasting to dinner time. I actually rarely snack at all during the day now, which is crazy because I used to be hungry to the point of distraction every day, where I couldn't focus or function doing anything else until I ate something. But now, it's just a big lunch and medium dinner, with a splurge day once a week if I am craving something. We're all different of course, but just picked up on your comment about skipping breakfast, I find I do much better making it to lunch without eating than I ever did trying not to eat in the afternoon.

Slimfast has worked for me in the past for a quick fix... if I wanted to lose a bunch fast over a few weeks. but couldn't do it more than that, I found I was just starving with them and couldn't sustain it.

HTH!!
THANKS!! I was thinking of going light on the breakfast (say a hard boiled egg & with a tomato) and then a banana for a snack if needed (or other fruit) then a good lunch (say a big chicken salad or steamed brocolli/cauliflower with couscous & a protein of sorts & maybe a shake in the evening as that's when I will be exercising, right now I was the dog in the evening but I'm joing our local rec centre which has a full fitness facility + swimming in the summer & skating in the winter (fun fact, MrN & I's first date was was ice skating on an outdoor rink in downtown Toronto).
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
The first week was the hardest for me too! You can do it and it will get easier! I found that I had to restrict the carbs and up my protein and fat in order to avoid cravings. Even though it was so different than what had been drilled into me my whole life, I've found that upping the fat in my diet has helped a lot. So, I eat hard boiled eggs, add avocado to my salads, snack on nuts, add peanut butter to my apple slices, etc. It keeps me full much longer and it reduces my cravings. If I have carbs in the afternoon, even fruit, without protein, I start craving more carbs right away. I am not super low-carb but I try to keep them low and full of fiber. And I try to not have carbs other than veggies with my dinner to avoid the after-dinner carb cravings. Good luck!!
I think the 1st week is hard because it's a big change in lifestyle and eating habits.
I'm not going super low carb but eating good, healthy carbs.