Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat July 9 - July 15

Congratulations to all who've suffered through the heat wave and kept their cool without undo use of Ben & Jerry's or other such drugs.

Warm days for me include the challenge of cold pasta dishes that DW likes to make to avoid the kitchen heat. I love the stuff, she uses whole grain pasta so it's-good-for-you, but my image of a serving is LARGE. It's easier for me to face spaghetti on a cold winter night, when the notion of too much spaghetti exists in my head. Pasta salad is a picnic dish and picnics of my childhood were times of eat til you drop.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all! I hear you on the pasta portions Bill. I'm not so bad with the portions of pasta salads. And how nice that you were taken on picnics when you were young.

DH is going to cook again when he's working 3 days a week and he loves to make pasta. He will NOT eat the whole wheat kind (though I like it) and he likes to dish the pasta out to cover the plate. He also tosses it in oil (without measuring the oil) and uses cheese-filled tortellini in one of his signature dishes.

I think this is going to take a lot of careful diplomacy on my part.

I would for DH to cook a couple of times per week. I have to find a way to eat his food but not gain weight. If I criticize or change any part of what he makes he vows to never cook again. It's so all or nothing with him.

I'll climb that hill when it happens. For now I have to get through another week of juggling 4 houses in the heat, walking all the dogs, dog sitting (with the younger dog now afraid of the older who is wearing the cone), and looking after my own cats.

At least the cat sit is over (for now) and that large watering task won't come my way again 'til August. Whew!

Dagmar ( but not please)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I noticed something interesting this past week. When I was working at my stuffy, unairconditioned apartment, the heat made me eat less. When I was in Wellfleet, living with the heat, ocean breezes and just an occasional electric fan, I also ate less. When I returned to my mother's house, with its central airconditioning, which she likes set really high, I regained my appetite.

My conclusion: For me, heat is a natural appetite suppressant, and living in an unnaturally cool environment raises my hunger level.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Good morning all! I hear you on the pasta portions Bill. I'm not so bad with the portions of pasta salads. And how nice that you were taken on picnics when you were young.

DH is going to cook again when he's working 3 days a week and he loves to make pasta. He will NOT eat the whole wheat kind (though I like it) and he likes to dish the pasta out to cover the plate. He also tosses it in oil (without measuring the oil) and uses cheese-filled tortellini in one of his signature dishes.

I think this is going to take a lot of careful diplomacy on my part.

I would for DH to cook a couple of times per week.

Dagmar ( but not please)
Dagmar , maybe you can remind him that a woman of 5'4" does not have the calorie requirements of a man of 6" ( or whatever height he is.) This is a fact and maybe he will get the message , other thought serve yourself that way you can control the portion.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Waving hi from the Florida keys!! Having a great time but I'm very worried about weight gain as I don't have a scale, my food choices aren't stellar, and my exercise is sporadic. I'm trying to tell myself that whatever happens, I'll deal with it when I get back. I have snorkeled once and kayaked twice so far. Getting ready to grill some fish and shrimp now.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #6  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Mmmm, grilled seafood! That sounds healthy and delicious.

As for pasta...those vivid descriptions are making me drool! I used to eat almost ONLY pasta and now I very rarely have it. Fettucine Alfredo was something I imagined I could eat until I died of heart failure, and I often had macaroni and cheese for breakfast as a kid and teen. Sighhh.

I am eating at a deficit this week to try and knock off "the last 2 pounds." Went to play guerrilla ninja-style laser tag tonight and had a delicious coconut/chocolate ice cream cone. I specified "dog or child sized" to the woman scooping and she looked at me like I was nuts. Got home and fried some frozen dumplings and microwaved some steam-in-bag green beans, which I ate plain. Living the bachelorette life over here. No exercise but I'm gonna try and double up tomorrow.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #7  

When I think of summer picnics, potato salad immediately comes to mind and fried chicken might mike an appearance, also....and don't even mention home made ice cream.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The vacation saga continues. The plane back to the mainland was delayed over an hour which meant we got into San Francisco at 7:55 rather than 7:15? (they did make up some time). Our connection was scheduled to leave at 8:15 and was only 6 gates away. The stewardess said (and this was also said on the way over) "they know you're here and they know the status of this plane." Lie that did a lot of good. We arrived at the gate at 8:08 and the door was closed. The ramp was still attached to the plane, but they would not let us on. Delayed 4 hours in COLD San Francisco (we're all dressed for Honolulu at 85 and Palm Desert at 115). Finally get on our next flight and arrive in Vegas to another delay (only not as bad) so we pick up some lunch. We watch the bags being loaded onto the new plane--none of ours, but that should be okay as the rep in SF said that they would probably take the earlier direct flight that was booked. Yeah right. Once in Palm Springs, no bags. In review, 2 are still in SF and 3 are in LA and there is a heat advisory so planes are more restricted on weight so there is no IDEA of when we'll get our bags. Could be tonight, might be tomorrow, might even be the next day. Meanwhile DH has one pair of underwear, DD had to return to Fullerton to attend school and she had almost all of her new (smaller) wardrobe in the suitcase. I'm really restricted in the clothes department, but can make do although wearing jeans in 115 is not my cup of tea.

But we're home. There is that.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I hope the trip was fun Allison, even though the transit back and forth wasn't. Thank goodness the bags were lost on the way home, or you would have been stuck on the ship without clothes.

We have another night under our belts - 6 more to go. The dog with the cone (Javi ) is staying downstairs and the younger one is following me everywhere (he puts his head on my feet when I'm at the computer). I took the younger one (Vargas ) on 3 walks + yesterday and he was beat last night.

Yesterday was one of those beautiful blue sky windy summer days. I was able to ignore the twinge in my buttock/back and enjoyed every minute of it. I had the group of 3 one-year olds swiming and running and retrieving on the beach and it was absolutely exhilirating to see how much fun they were having.

We are supposed to get very hot temps back tomorrow and for the rest of the week. That means I will have to walk Javi separately from the group I have him in now (don't want to keep the rest of them - all black dogs - out of the water and Javi can't swim until his ear is OK). I think I will do a shorter walk and take him to the ravine where it's all shaded. He will enjoy having one-on-one time with me and without his cone but it makes the day that much longer.

Part of me is not really looking forward to going home and having DH back. He is feeling awfully sorry for himself and I'm supposed to provide the

I will be relentlessly positive until he shuts up and gets on with it. He has a part time job and possible contacts for freelance work. He has time to sit around, work out, etc. He can be healthy if he makes up his mind and gets on with it. That is not such a bad place to be.

Good day all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #10  

Welcome home, Allison. Outside of airports, delays and lost luggage, how was your vacation ? I hope you enjoyed your cruise and Hawaii.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #11  

The vacation itself was wonderful! Some setbacks from the flight delays (my sister also missed the first day of the cruise) but we were able to finally get onboard and decompress. We ended up not taking in much of Maui as we just needed to de-stress a bit. My sister was unable to do any excursions at all (we had planned two zip-line tours and snorkeling) because she is still recovering from surgery. She got around on her little scooter just fine but could not traverse uneven terrain and couldn't get her foot wet. One tour that they booked in lieu of the ones we went on sent a bus without wheelchair transport so they had to cancel that. She got a lot of poolside time and said they had a good time.

Got the in-laws on the zip line although they were quite hesitant about it. After a couple runs they ended up having a great time. Snorkeling was a different story. FIL didn't wear his hearing aid (obviously) and didn't really hear the instructions well. He didn't get his mask on right and kept going too far under water and getting a mouthful of sea water. He ended up back in the boat for the remainder of that and somehow managed to catch a cold--we assume from getting some water in his lungs? MIL also didn't listen well but thankfully another one on the tour helped her adjust her mask in the water and she had fun with it. We took a lot of photos, but I don't know where the cameras are. We'll have to have them developed (disposable underwater cameras).

I'm working on getting the rest of the photos uploaded and organized. I'll share as soon as I can.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm restless at being put back in harness again, with a 24-page report to translate out of Chinese English, six document reviews to finish, a short meeting handing out assignments to run and then an hour-long interview to participate in.

And all I can think about is my apartment, sitting empty, waiting for me, and all the stuff that still needs to be done there.

Must. Focus. On. Job.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #13  

Sigh. Rainy day on vacation and the rest of our days look rainy. Want to snorkel, etc but not sure what we can do. I think we may go to a dolphin sanctuary today.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Sigh. Rainy day on vacation and the rest of our days look rainy. Want to snorkel, etc but not sure what we can do. I think we may go to a dolphin sanctuary today.
The dolphin sanctuary is off due to thunder. Sitting in a coffee house and going to see the movie Ted later. Hope it clears up enough tomorrow to go to the beach!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #15  

I have a corn question. Gary, you should probably chime in as I know Angie is well read in this topic.

When we were in Hawaii, we were on a zip line tour and as we left the guide was pointing out this and that and he indicated that they had a lot of farm land that was being leased out for growing corn for Monsanto. He said that the corn was their genetically engineered corn and that it was being grown solely for use as ethanol.

I understand the facts surrounding us not wanting to ingest this genetically engineered corn but if it is going to be used only for ethanol, I don't see too much of a problem with it getting into our food system. The guide did indicate that at one point some feral pigs did get into the corn and ate it and they all went sterile.

Am I wrong in thinking that this genetically engineered stuff isn't as bad as we are being led to believe?