Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #1  

Default Just getting started....

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. My goal is to lose 100 lbs in a year. Currently, I'm not even sure how much I weigh as I am always DEATHLY afraid to get on that scale. I am 37 years old and I NEED to get my act together. This is going to be a long hard journey for me, but I'm ready!!! I will need all the support that I can get. By posting on this forum will help me hold myself accountable. So, please feel free to offer any and all tips that you have. Thank you!!!
katlogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome, Katlogg

You have taken an important step by posting here. Now take the next one, and step on that scale. There are many of us here who have been exactly where you are now. I am not going to soft coat it. Getting started on weight loss is hard. However the rewards are well worth it. Take one day at a time and you will find that they start adding up. We often say around here, "This time next year you will be glad that you started today."

I don't want to overwhelm you now with advice, keep reading and posting and you will get lots of help!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

katlogg!!

Read the threads; get involved; ask for advice; share successes and setbacks; take this journey one step, one pound at a time! Glad you're here!!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Welcome! You can do it! A year from now you'll be so glad to you started today.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #5  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hello and Welcome! You are in the right place to find encouragement and motivation!!
I know how painful it is hun, but you need to weigh, and take down all your measurements. There will be times the scale does not move, but the numbers on your measurements will be smaller. The scale is not the only tool to show us weight loss. I can eat a salty meal and the next day show a 2 Lb. gain, but my clothes can feel looser. So don't get really upset with numbers.
I agree with what time2lose said on her post
This is a long journey, but a year from now you will feel better, you be healthier and you will be so proud of yourself when you look in the mirror.
Keep us posted!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi katlogg and welcome!

You can do it! I agree with taking your weight and measurements, you need to know where you've started.

Be patient with yourself. 100 pounds in a year is a great goal, but don't beat yourself up if you don't reach it. That was my original goal too, and I'm still not quite there. I lost 86.5 pounds in a year, and I was thrilled to have gotten that far. The body is a funny thing, and weight loss is not always linear.

Make a plan, commit to it, and come here for support. You go, girl!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/191

Height: 5'6"

Welcome katlogg!
This is a great place to be!
Take things one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you slip.
You can do it and you will be so glad you did!
1049jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Welcome! And go for it. You can do this, but you'll never know how many pounds you lost unless you weigh yourself. DO IT. And measure, too. I wish all the time that I had measured along with weighing at the start. You weigh what you weigh whether you know the number or not. It's just a number - a STARTING point. It's the ending point that matters so much more.

You can do this.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #9  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Katlogg, to your new life! You've made a great decision, and I know (we all know) how difficult this decision can be. Now that you are ready to begin, hop on the scale, put down your measurements, decide on a nutrition plan (or try a few out for size) and exercise. Slow and steady wins the race. I want to lose 100 lbs. in a year too, but we'll see how it goes. If I commit to working hard today and staying on my eating and exercise plan just for today, I'll eventually make it. And you will too! Good luck and come back often to check in!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #10  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Hey Katlogg, don't worry about how long the process will be - just take it one week at a time, one day at a time, one choice at a time.

Focus on making the best choice you can make, each time you are faced with a choice. Just that one time, make the healthiest choice. Then, repeat.

However long it takes, the time will pass anyhow - and fast! (Think of how fast the last year or two seems to have gone by.) so may as well spend the time losing weight rather than maintaining or gaining, right?
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #11  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

Posting here is the best decision I ever made in terms of weight loss efforts!! It has made an incredible difference for me this time around and I am feeling the best I have felt in a VERY long time!
Looking forward to seeing your posts and hearing about your progress!
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #12  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Hello katlogg! Welcome! You're definitely in an excellent place for support. I agree with those who say weigh yourself. Do it! It's not the most important measure of your success but it IS a guide. When you DO get to your target of 100 lbs lost, you will be glad you weighed yourself now. Take starting weight pictures! I regret not doing this. And plan to take progress pics regularly. You won't regret it.

Moreover know you can do this if you stick to plan. Whether or not you get to your 100-lb target in a year or not, you will be glad you began today, when you see your progress. My biggest tip will be to set mini goals, set short term goals. These can be weight-related, or sticking to plan related or fitness related. These will keep you going when you want to quit sometimes.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #13  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Hi and welcome!

First of all, face that fear and get on the scale. Even though the number will disappoint you, you need to know where you are starting. I've been there, staring at the scale and afraid to step on because I didn't want to face the truth. But facing the truth will get you started!

Second, find a food and exercise plan that works for you! Whether it's calorie counting and exercise or a structured diet plan, just find what you can live with. During this weight loss journey you have to find a plan that you can stick with for the rest of your life. If you lose the weight and go right back to unhealthy habits the weight will come back. So experiment and find what you can live with.

Third, have fun with this! Make the weight loss journey exciting and interesting! You may want to start a blog or a journal to track your progress. Challenge yourself in some way with both food and exercise. Try a veggie that you've never had before! If you can walk for 1 minute before getting tired, see if you can add 10 seconds the next time you walk. Before long you'll be on your way to reaching all of your goals and have a fun time doing it!
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

WELCOME!

So glad you posted! There are many food plans and approaches to losing weight. Check them out to see what 'fits' for you. Along the way you may have to tweek it. The goal is not only losing weight but finding some sanity with food.

Remember to plan, plan & plan some more.

Long term weight loss goals can be overwhelming. I find it helpful to have small mini goals.

Carry on!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

WELCOME....I started at 38 with over 130 pounds to lose. I'm also deathly afraid of the scale but I've gone from a 24W to a 12/14 regular. I'm still on my journey....Choose a sensible plan that you can stick with. Cheering you on to goal

Last edited by free1; 07-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote