Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Default Scale Addict Anonymous

Hello, My name is Hotsplashes and I'm a scale addict. I like to get on my scale every day. I used to get on my scale several times a day before I joined SAA.

When I get on the scale now...it's first thing in the morning. I take off all my clothes including my skivvies. Make sure I go potty first. Remove all jewellery and hair scrunchies. Then when I take that final step onto the scale, I exhale till it hurts!lolol

Thanks to SAA I now only get on my scale every Thursday. Except when fall off the wagon and maybe sneak in a weigh-in on a monday to see if I gained on the weekend. But those slip ups are rare.

My doctor has diagnosed me with isulin intolerance/resistance and has put me on a low carb diet that seems very much like Atkins and South Beach. I haven't been on it a full week and have already lost over 2 lbs.

I'd like to see all you other Scale Addicts come out and join me here !!!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:01 AM   #2  

Hi! Ok, I have to admit, I am a victim of the scale! I feel the need to weigh myself every morning, even though I know it's not a good idea. I have the urge to weigh more than once a day, but, don't do it. The downfall to weighing every day is that your weight will vary, as much as 4 pounds depending on water intake, salt intake, size of meal eaten, etc. I always get discouraged when I weigh in on Mondays, after the weekend at home because the scale is at leat 1 pound higher than Friday. Probably due to weekend indulgence, but, in reality, it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound, the same to lose.

Holly
Old 08-29-2003, 09:06 AM   #3  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Exclamation at last!

Oh, Oh , OH!

Is this like a 12 step programme for scale addicts!?!

'Cause I'll tell ya Hotsplashes you are describing me to a T. I do leave on my night gown and jewelry, creep up on the scale, press down on the window sill with my right hand and s-l-o-w-l-y release the pressure allowing the scale to ever so gently get to it's spot. Hopefully at the same or a lower spot than the day before ...I figure it is relative, but other than that I do the same thing every morning.....AND many nights before I go to bed!

However I feel that allthough it is an obsessive behavior, it is a relatively harmless one. No one is affected by this except me, and I think it helps motivate me at this point. I'm less likely to lose control if I'd weighed myself that day....

I'm so comforted to know that there are at least two other persons like me out there!

Ceara
Old 08-29-2003, 09:28 AM   #4  
47 pounds gone!!

Default Re: at last!

Quote:
Originally posted by ceara
creep up on the scale, press down on the window sill with my right hand and s-l-o-w-l-y release the pressure allowing the scale to ever so gently get to it's spot. Hopefully at the same or a lower spot than the day before
Ahahaha! I do that! We are so funny.

Thanks for staring this hotsplashes!

My name is Shelley and I am a scale addict. I used to step on the scale every single morning.. but always making sure I go potty first and am nakie.. I make sure the scale is set right on the floor.. maybe give it a little bump to make sure it's working properly. Then I step on it really soft, meanwhile leaning one of my hands against the wall... (maybe that will help?) to try and take off a tiny pressure off the scale with one foot. LOL
Old 08-29-2003, 09:44 AM   #5  

OH too funny!!! That is exactly me! And never ever ever get on the scale after taking a shower, because then the water in your hair will cause you to weigh more!!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:55 AM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Can I join? I don't exactly get on every day but I have a longstanding rule of only hopping on once a week. However, I often break this and decide I need to just look so I won't have an unpleasant shock on weigh-in day! THE PROBLEM IS, many times when I am taking this peek, I don't like the number, so I get off, get on, get off, get on. I've been known to throw away the scale (literally) and go buy another one and when I get on the new one, it says the same thing, so then I just go take a nap and feel frustrated!

Last Sunday (my ceremonial weigh-in day), I obsessed for hours because the first time I got on the scale, it showed an error message. So I got off, reset it and it gave me a believable weight consistent with what I've been losing, but I still obsessed for hours abou that error message. Now I'm obsessing in advance of Sunday that I'll be UP when by virtue of my actions I should be DOWN!

The thing is a DEMON! ... argh!

Thanks for posting this, Hotsplashes! I enjoyed that vent!

It's a demon, I'm tellin' ya!
Old 08-29-2003, 11:22 AM   #7  

Sometimes I will weigh myself after getting up, and again 30 minutes later. Suprisingly, I am usually .5 pound lighter 30 minutes after getting up!

Holly
Old 08-29-2003, 05:45 PM   #8  

Hi Hotsplashes!! I'm here, I'm alive!! I didn't realize I had to get access to the forums too, I thought I had access by signing up for the journals. I'm learning. Anyway, I posted a journal that's about a mile long but it explains why I haven't been around for the last couple of days.

Hi to all the Scale Addicts! My name is Michele, I'm a scale addict, and today I'm proud to say that I only got on the scale once. Nah, seriously, it wasn't a gain, it might have been a real loss, but it is what it is. You know, I'm not sure getting on the scale everyday is a bad thing necessarily. If you say that "it is what it is" and let it be, instead of letting it dictate your mood and self esteem, then I think it's an ok thing to do. I'm not sure I'm there yet. So, I'm going to try to not weigh myself tomorrow or Sunday and just go with my official weigh in on Monday morning. But, you better believe I'll be naked and have gone to the bathroom before I step on that evil scale on Monday!

Hotsplashes -- thanks so much for starting the thread and for looking out for me!! Hope you all have a great labor day weekend!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:42 PM   #9  

Hello ladies and welcome to Scale Addict Anonymous

I'm glad everyone showed up!

Chikitababe! Welcome...it seems you are on your way to beating the addiction...you only get on once a day! This is a good thing! I hope you stay with us! And you are soooo right about water weight. I've seen myself bloat up 4 and 5 pounds overnite. then be 6 lbs lighter in a day.

Ceara, you made me laff today when I logged on here to see if anyone had stood up to the podium to say hello! Yes I don't see why this can't be a 12 step program! We just need to come up with 12 steps!lol I think the first one would be... I accept the fact that I am a scale addict and can still love myself!lol Hope you stay with us here on SAA! The window thing was just soooo funny.

Shelley you made it!!! YAYYYY...And I too admit to the scale bumping...with my foot...or my hand...just to make sure it's at a proper place on the dial!lol And I see you have your own version of the windowsill thing!lol You use the wall. You ladies are giving me too many cheating ideas!!lol Hope you come back and post again Shelley! I think we have a great group so far!

Welcome Mother Goose! I am so Impressed with your weightloss adventure! I hope you come to visit us often, you are an inspiration to all!

Amarantha!! Of course you can join!! A forum I belong to isn't the same without you! Your humor and positive attitude are very welcome here! Hope to see you here often! Come and vent anytime!

Aussie Bikini!!! Glad you made it! And you have the exact same name as me!!! Michele with ONE L!!! I am not alone in this world!!lol And congratulations on only getting on the scale once today! Enjoy your weekend, treat yourself to something yummie...just not too much! And don't you worry...you'll be in that bikini in time for Aussieland ! You have already come a long way in the weightloss...the rest is going to be easy...you have US!!lol Hope to see you soon! And now I bid the club adieu. It's time to go for a nice walk before the rain sets in again. I'll be checking here on and off over the weekend. I have a 2 day horse show and a JRT show all going on at the same time...So I'm going to be a busy girl! Might run off some extra calories while I'm at it!! Happy Labor Day Fellow Scale Addicts!
Old 08-30-2003, 07:05 AM   #10  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Exclamation YAHOO

Only once, I repeat ONLY ONCE, yesterday. But I've already been on this morning and that scale didn't see me comin'!

I have a couple of tough eating-type opportunity days comin' up and I think the scale thingy helps me. OK I'm an addict!

Ceara
Old 08-30-2003, 10:27 AM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Thanks for your welcome, Hotsplashie!!!

Fellow Scale Addicts, I loved reading your stories because now I know I AM NOT ALONE and others in the universe really DO worry about the weight of wet hair on the scale, take off scrunchies and weigh themselves when they get up and 30 minutes later!!!

I'm not one of those people, though, who believes the scale should be done away with altogether! I honestly do think it's a useful tool for tracking losses, but as stated before, I have come to terms with its EVIL DEMONIC NATURE EXCEPT on Sunday mornings when it gives me a good reading, then I realize it is truly an and my BEST FRIEND!!!

So, my challenge today is to STAY OFF THE until tomorrow. I was having EVIL thoughts this a.m. of taking a peek to see how my new WW program is coming along, but I MUST RESIST, RESIST, RESIST!

If that isn't an tomorrow, though, it's outta here. It can be replaced by a tape measure! I hope it's reading this!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #12  

Good Morning SAA ladies! It's a nice and cool sunny day here! I hope everyone is enjoying this long weekend so far. I'm off to see my horse and take the pups for a HUGE walk...I'll be burning off thos evil calories!

Amarantha! Congratulations on only getting on once! And YES...DON"T GET ON TODAY!!! Wait tilltomorrow! I will not be on my evil scale again until next Thursday or Friday...hopefully I can last until then!lol It's nice to know there are other folks who have "scale rituals" too!

Have a wondeful weekend ladies!!!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #13  
47 pounds gone!!

Thanks for the welcome hot! I can see that I'll be in here lots! You all are just halarious..

Well, I broke down and stepped on the scale again today.. Like I'd loose a pound or two overnight.. right.. lol I plopped down on the couch and told hubby I couldn't believe I'm still the same after 2 weeks... He told me something that lifted my spirits a little.. he said that I may not be loosing pounds but I'm definitely loosing inches. I feel all better Darn that grrrr!

Amarantha--that was funny.. "I hope it's reading this" I LMBO when I read that..
Old 08-30-2003, 06:07 PM   #14  

Hey! I LOVE my mother's scale. I weighed myself nakie after getting out of bed and going potty, and my scale said 149.5. I went to my mom's house, and just for kicks decided to weigh myself on her digital scale. Her's said 147, with clothes! I don't know which scale to believe, but, I like my mom's better. I weighed in between 153.5 on August 1, so that would be 6.5 pounds lost in one month! My mom did say that she could tell that I have lost weight by looking at me. I haven't seen her in a month.

Holly
Old 08-30-2003, 06:41 PM   #15  

Well, after years of addiction, I am finally in recovery. I have removed the battery from my digital scale and it has been banished to the storage area in the basement. I decided this was a ridiculous way to live when I put on an outfit that I could not get into 3 weeks ago and was thrilled, stepped on the scale and was immediately down in the dumps because it didn't show a loss. How stupid is that? I am obviously losing inches so why should that one number have such an impact on my day? No more!
Closed Thread