Old 06-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #1  
Fitty, the Pound-Slayer

S/C/G: 303/287/150

Height: 5'8

Question Corsets & fitness

I really enjoy Renaissance and steampunk costumes as well as more pinup and gothic-y styles, and tons of these outfits involve corsets. Part of my fitness goals involve being able to fit into corsets better (not that corsets don't work for us fat chicks, but I really want to get a tiny waist and I can't do that being this size). Plus, some corset companies don't sell their stuff big enough for me.

So, I was wondering, is anyone interested in corsets and getting fit for corseting? I have heard of waist training, too, but am not really sure how it works. Anyway, could love to hear from some more corset people!
fatbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I have several for costumes -- never had a prob finding any even at plus sizes.

From cheapies on ebay to hipandcurves.com and beyond. I'd like to learn to sew my own though.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #3  

I had a steampunk dress as a wedding dress, with a custom-made corset.
And I have another corset I bought online which I wear for special events every now and then. But I've never felt the need to be particularly fit for wearing them... on the opposite: they improve your posture, and you never have to think about pulling your belly in or anything like that.

But I'm not into waist training. I love wearing them every now and then, and I love the feeling of getting laced in, but not if I have to do anything but stand around as decoration... In the case of my wedding corset, it was fortunate my seamstress didn't make it as tight as I wanted, because it was a very hot day and I ran around a lot and in a tighter corset that probably would have taken its toll. But for waist training, they become a part of your life. I wouldn't want that for me.
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I'm interested in waist-training, but not in any serious capacity, and definitely not until I've lost a few more pounds! I just want to be able to wear beautiful, steel boned corsets.
SpangleMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/277/199

Height: 5'4"

Corset Story has plenty of plus size corsets, and they are REALLY, REALLY reasonably priced. I havent purchased one myself yet, but I have a few friends who absolutely adore them. They also have waist training corsets. If you dont see a corset you like on the "plus size" page, they actually make a lot of bigger corsets, you just have to look around for designs they are willing to make bigger (it will be in the "size" drop down bar, often with an added fee)

Hope that helps.
Amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #6  

Location: Boulder, CO- but moving back to NJ in less than one week!

S/C/G: 252/185/135

Height: 5'4"

My reward when I reach goal is going to be a black leather corset. I decided on that shortly after starting my weight loss journey. And a pair of thigh high black leather boots to go with it, of course.
xirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 248/204/168

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirene View Post
My reward when I reach goal is going to be a black leather corset. I decided on that shortly after starting my weight loss journey. And a pair of thigh high black leather boots to go with it, of course.
And of course opera gloves and a riding crop, but only to properly accessorize?
Jocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #8  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I LOVE corsets! I haven't brought any because I'm too self-conscious to wear them now but I have tons of websites saved and many on my Ebay wish list. One of my rewards for reaching ONEderland is a pin up photo shoot with a beautiful corset outfit.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #9  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

I'm buying this gorgeous thing as part of my Halloween costume when I get to 155 (a healthy BMI for me). I've been meaning to put together a steampunk outfit for years, and now that there's finally a chance of it actually looking GOOD on me, I'm jumping on it.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #10  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Someone else who is into steampunk and renaissance!

I love corsets, but I do not own any currently. I simply don't have the money to dish out for one right now. As far as waist-training goes, it can cause some health issues. It can actually deform your ribs. Basically you make your corset a little tighter each day. Really not a good thing to do if you haven't lost weight to go along with the tightening.

Anyways, if you're looking for nice corsets, definitely check out Etsy.com. Find a seller that will customize for your proportions, if possible.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #11  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I have ALWAYS loved corsets and steampunk-esque dresses. My wedding dress was a corset too, I have always been a sucker for corsets! So yes, I am a huge corset and corset dress fan, I love the way my waist is as it is always smaller than the rest of me, and when I get fit it looks even better. So one of my motivations for getting fit is definitely looking better in my corsets and getting to buy more!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I am definitely motivated by these things too! I want a small waist, even if I have to fake it in a corset, lol.
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #13  
AmandaLynn

S/C/G: 164 / SIG / 122

Height: 5'3"

I have a waist-training corset and I LOVE it, I LOVE the tiny waist it gives me, but I can't get it on and off by myself LOL. And I also have a hard time doing anything in it (mainly cuz I lace it as tight as I absolutely can)! I can't wait to put a corset on and lace it super tight and NOT have back/bra line fat hang over it *pouty face* but we'll get there! I'm a corset fanatic, where do you guys buy yours? I've got one from ebay thats really great, but it wasn't cheap!
ghostly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #14  

I actually make steel-boned custom corsets...not super frequently, as I have little spare time, but I've made about 6 or 7 now for various people. It's important to remember that the smaller you get, the more difficult it is to maintain the amount of inches of reduction (with only a little waist training, I can get down about 6 inches. If I weighed 80lbz less, I'd only be able to get MAYBE two inches)

Also, a good custom corset minimizes a lot of the back fat problem. (Tough not entirely, of course)
Sprinkles22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #15  
No More Diets!

Once I get down to a certain weight, I'll be fitted for a custom corset. I'm not interested in serious waist reduction, but suppressing appetite.
lovely30 is offline   Reply With Quote