Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~July Golden Girls~~

We are about fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? 70 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks Bobbi
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

It's been a nice but busy day...started out at a lunch birthday party of our Filipino club at an Asian restaurant, then we went shopping at Kohls, followed by New Seasons and Costco. We were tired by the time we left Costco. We feel like we have eaten all day so I'm not cooking tonight. I'm now watching the old Dark Shadows show. I think I used to watch it as a kid but it's been a very long time so decided to download it from Netflix. I'm on the first show right now.

July has flown by...can't believe how fast "summer" is going and we haven't had much summer weather yet. It was nice today though.

You all have a nice evening.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #4  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening,

Sorry ~ grumpy and need to vent ~ you all would understand. Got my daily dose of Grrrr from DH. It is summer time and the battle of the thermostat is on again. Don't understand why we have to go through this battle every year ~ you would think dum-dum would get a clue. Guess maybe he forgets after a year goes by. (Not ~ he is just impossible and is a control freak and will push as far as he can get away with until someone says something ~ and even then, saying something often times gets me nowhere.) We basically spend our time in two different parts of the house ~ where he spends his time is regulated by one thermostat/AC/heat unit, and where I am by another one. He comes out by where I am to fix his supper. I realized after a bit, that I was feeling hot. I went and checked and sure enough the thermostat setting had been changed ~ again. It had been changed earlier in the day. I went and asked him why we have to have this battle every year. He said that when he came out by me it was freezing. (It was set on 74 and reading probably 76 ~ not freezing). I told him to leave his freaking hands off the thermostat ~ that he was only out by me for a few minutes and that he could stand it for a short time. Grrrrrrrr. I guess when he comes out by where I am, I am going to have to get a chair and station myself by that thermostat to make sure he doesn't touch it. Ridiculous to have to go to such measures. I am a nice person, he turns me into a Maxine.

Sorry for the rant ~ thanks for listening.

Last edited by glynne; 06-30-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

OMG!!! Gayle, does this sound like home!! He pushes the temp to where I feel to warm, so I go and turn it to where I feel good. Then I want the ceiling fan in the bedroom on Medium--- not too much to ask. He wants it on low! I just wait for him to fall asleep and change it... Guess I have learned or am learning to pick my battles!! Keep smiling!!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Ha ha. You gals are crackin' me up. My DH likes it warmer than I do, too. When we moved to this house with no central heating [not as bad as it sounds - we live in the desert] I thought I would need some flannel night gowns etc, but not to worry. He gets the fire cranked up and the electric blanket on to high and I am hot. Even when I was young and thin I was warmer than he.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Hello all! This is a nice new thread and thanks be to Bobbi for starting it.

I live in central Arizona and also have no central heating but am almost always cold except for about six months out of the year. Having no DH with different preferences, I sleep in front of a safe heater fan for the other six months. Works out.

I noticed the questions in the opening post here and loved the one about what is the best thing that has happened to me since I passed the 50 mark (which was awhile ago lol) and wanted to answer it, but realized there has been no one best thing, just a steady progression of improvement and clarity and blessings that has followed me as I do what some people might call age, but what I call simply getting better and better and leaving behind that which does not serve me in a positive way.

Hmmm, good night, all. Starting to fall asleep, a good thing.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

OK GG's Me Too, battle of the air ranges on. Except this week of 100+ nobody touches the air-we are all swealtering. But the rest of the year skinny mini DH comes in right in front of me everynight & turns it off- I just watch and turn back on when he leaves. But I have noticed lately he sneeks back in after I'm alseep to do it again
Having a good evening after another comp techie frustrating day.
This afternoon I pulled down an old, but never read weightloss book off the shelf " The Food and Feelings Notebook" by karen koenig.. After Mary's post I knew how I needed to work on my feeling. I've put it off long enough. It does scare me. I've ordered the book she's reading us, but in the mean time I'm working this one.
"To become a whole healthy person, you have to stop trying to avoid feeling badly and welcome all your emotions without judgement, no matter what they are".
" You are not suppose to feel good all the time; it's simply not possible"
These two statements really hit me. What ever made me believe you are suppose to strive to "feel good", avoid feeling bad like the plague. Avoiding this book after crying over 1st " stop and feel" exercises for years tells me just much I do hold back, jeeze how I have been fooling myself.

Oh Yeah! I lost another pound bringing that up to my 1st 10.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/264.9/175

Height: 5'9"

I have to chime in here on the air conditioning battle. I live in Arizona and my DH doesn't mind the heat - I hate it - so we used to battle over the air conditioning - He finally solved it by buying me a standing air conditioner for my studio - I am sometimes COLD - love it!!!

Still waiting to break into the 240's

Last edited by redjb7; 07-01-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #10  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy July 1st

We rarely turn the air on in the summer since we live high up (highest point in our county) and always have a nice breeze. But lately DH has been running it and he has it set at 74, just right unless I'm sitting at the computer or watching TV. Then I have to put a sweater on because I'm cold. Donna, you'd probably cook at 74 as you hate the heat. Wanna trade bodies?

Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #11  
Want to feel better

This is for Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg too hot.jpg (40.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens - Happy July!

I had a glorious day yesterday. The lake was amazing and the boat ran like a champ! (I was a little worried because it has been sitting for over a year) Here is a couple pictures: one is the blue water spraying behind us as we zip over the water. Another is some nice light shining down to the water.

We finished the day with a barbeque and feasted on fresh bass and trout cooked on the grill. AMAZING! Today I am tired and pretty sore. I need to water and miracle grow my garden today and then I need to get the camper ready this week. We will head out on a trip on Friday. Lots to do....

Unfortunately, the sun and activity on the boat yesterday has left me feeling very sore and tired. Darn Lupus! I was extremely careful - I wore sun-protective clothing, hat and sunscreen. I only got a little mild burn on my hands. I still have a fever today and feel crappy. Oh well, the price one pays for fun!

Thanks Bobbi for the new thread... I LOVE being a Golden Girl and I appreciate that I became a member of this group. Most days it feels like I have known you forever.

Mary, thanks for your wishes for my fun and safety. I always wear a good life jacket because I don't feel like I swim very well. My boat has a lot of power and is very light but we are there for fishing, not speed boating. I am still enjoying the book information. Thank you.

Gayle, grrrr with you on the dh changing the thermostat. He is a black and white kind of guy. I propose that you and he write out an agreement to the thermostat. He likes to pinch pennies so talk to him about how much more it costs for you to cool off your section after he heats it up. You have an absolute right to be comfortable in your own home.

Bobbi, like Donna, I am always hot. I have always thought that I would trade for a "cold" body. At least one can put on more clothes and feel better. I am guilty of keeping my house too cold at night (both winter and summer) because I like to snuggle down in the covers when I sleep. My mom says that I was always hot, even as an infant...

Ginger, I think the battle of the thermostats occurs in lots of homes.

Red, I bought one of those little free standing air conditioners for my kids when they lived in student housing in Texas. They thought I was the best mom ever!

Amaranth, I am still amazed at the positive things that have come into my life after I turned 50. I am finally getting comfortable with myself. It is wonderful.

Karen31, you sound like my mom.... she just lets my dad think that he is getting his way and then goes around him later. Too funny.

Well, sorry that I missed folks. My hands are swollen and I need to go grease these rings off..... no more typing in me. Later

Rie
Old 07-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #13  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, Goldens!

Gayle - I LOVE that picture, have it on my wallpaper and will put it on the work computer's wallpaper tomorrow. It is perfect!!

Also, my friend, I have two words for your dilemma with your (hmphh) DH: DUCT TAPE.

Bobbi - I'm quite nice at 74 degrees! I'm even tolerable at 84 degrees. Beyond, that it's pushing my limits of socially acceptable behavior.

Rie - did you forget the attach your pictures? I'm glad you had a good time... it sounds LOVELY!!

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone! Onward, Golden Girlies!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #14  
Want to feel better

Back again

I feel bad for venting about DH and the thermostat problems. In the scheme of things ~ it could be so much worse. I guess I just get impatient sometimes ~ when I have said something and think we have come to an understanding, and then I have to start all over again. Yesterday, I did do what CK does and just waited until he left the room to put the setting back to where it was. But the second time ~ I just couldn't help myself and had to say something.

He isn't all bad ~ and tries to help me. He doesn't feel good today, but changed a ceiling light for me that had burned out, and got the little TV hooked up by the tread mill for me.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #15  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Gayle - BAH!
Closed Thread