Old 07-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #1  
Started IP 6/9/12

S/C/G: 165/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Help with veggies!

I'm in my 4th week of IP and SO happy to have found this forum. So far, I feel like I'm not doing as well as I could be and I think I'm in a veggies rut.

How do you get your veggies in? (1 or 2 C at a time?)
What are some of your favorites?
Do you use a dry measuring cup, or kitchen scale?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
efwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #2  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I roast vegetables in the oven..roasted cauliflower, brocoli...then use the leftovers in my salad the next day. I also measure my veges: do easy ones like spinach or cherry tomatoes. I dump 3 cs of veges in a salad with 2 cups of lettuce..lunch and dinner.
I also like roasted mushrooms.

Good luck .
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/Ticker/190

Height: 5'10"

Try steaming cauliflower with some spices or garlic and then put it in the blender or a bullet with a little oil.. make mashed "potatos." Also, I made rudabaga fries and they are VERY similar to real fries... I've been chopping 1 c. of celery into my lettuce. OH.. pan-fried zuchinni with herbs is great too!!
LindseyTradeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 157/141.5/125

Height: 5'2

I made a veggie salsa and I put that on my salad along with some WF bacon ranch dressing.
MimiLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #5  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Omelet every morning with 1 cup of mushrooms that I saute, then add a cup of spinach, so theres 2 cups down for the day.

Lunch, I dont have veggies, doesnt work with my workplace

Supper, 8oz protein, 2 cups with supper

Very simple, very easy. Spinach is a great one as it has little taste and cooked, it almost disappears lol.

Another trick, make your salads 50/50 lettuce and spinach, very easy to hide a cup of spinach in your supper salad
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #6  
~Aimee~ On IP 06/26/12

S/C/G: 276/244/176

Height: 5'6"

I am so glad to see this thread. I logged on just now to post something similar.

I am a little picky when it comes to veggies. I am starting to try some new ones but I feel like I can only eat so much broccoli!

I dont have any advice as I am looking for some myself. I'll be watching this thread.

I like Longhorn's idea about 50/50 in your salad. How do you measure spinach like that?
aimeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #7  

I have a salad for lunch, with some raw broccoli slaw and peppers added to it. For dinner I have my protein and 2 cups veggies, cooked in many ways - cauliflower is a staple you can steam it or roast it in small bite sized pieces sooo good! Steamed broccoli is a fav, grilled asparagus is also a fav, I love rutabaga fries as well another fav, I love sautéed mushrooms on my steak, so that's another way pod getting veggies in. I save 2 cups of veggies for evening, as I am addicted to rhubarb!! I nuke 2 cups frozen chopped rhubarb and mix some stevia in when cooked down. Serve alone or with an IP pudding of choice as evening snack, or you can even make a "crisp" with a bit of marg. and a porridge pack. Very good!!! So that's my 4 cups and salad!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #8  
~Aimee~ On IP 06/26/12

S/C/G: 276/244/176

Height: 5'6"

ok what is rhubarb and where do you get it?
aimeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Do you have a grill? I got this . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6434-Pro...s=Grill+basket

and it made cooking veggies so much easier! I buy asparagus, tri colored peppers, zuchini, and yellow squash on the weekend. I wash them and cube them up and put them in a container in ther fridge. At night, I either throw a little olive oil in a sautee pan and sautee them, or put them on the grill in the grill basket. Like Maile, I make enough to have leftovers for breakfast (with omlette packet) or lunch the next day. Romaine lettuce is also a staple for me. And I like the frozen steamfresh broccoli and cauliflower bags. So easy to throw them in the microwave. Another option is frozen asparagus or broccoli blended into IP soups.
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #10  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Default My name is LizRR and i am a converted Veggie Freak!

These are a few of my favorite things...

Zucchini - I make them 3 ways, all in sweet type dishes. 1. Shredded in my crispy cereal unrestricted pancakes, 2. baked apple chips, and 3. mock baked apples <-my favorite, can turn #3 into an apple crumble w/crispy cereal or oatmeal
Cauliflower - 1. I roast w/celery & garlic, purée, and add to soups, 2. I grate and make 'fried rice', 3. just roasted with spices like popcorn
Rutabaga - rutabaga fries, hands down delicious, prefer them over turnips personally
Kale - Kale chips, when you crave that salty, crunchy texture, I think that's my fave too...
Spinach - I have this every weekday morning in my cafe mocha spinach smoothie <-hold on, that's my fave
Lettuce - ive been adding in a heart of romaine w/my spinach smoothie for more bulk, don't really eat salads anymore
Asparagus & Mushrooms - who doesn't love them grilled or cooked with just about anything
Green onions - I spray with evoo, sprinkle w/fajita seasoning and grill them....sooooo good
Rhubarb - 1. I nuke it for 5 minutes w/WF strawberry spread & eat it as is, 2. Make rhubarb upside down cake with crispy cereal <-wait, thats my fave, 3. add it to raspberry jelly
Poblano, bell pepper, jalapeño - I roast & purée with garlic for a spicy soup thickener, also stuffed peppers are good w/ground turkey
Celery - Braised celery, great recipe I found & posted using an egg white makes a creamy sauce I've been missing.
Cucumber - I julienne w/my mandoline to make 'noodles' I use with my miracle noodle Asian stirfry (wf sesame ginger, wd peanut spread, soy, fresh ginger, sriracha, cilantro), can do zucchini noodles too

Last edited by LizRR; 07-05-2012 at 10:57 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #11  

Ditto all of what LizzrR said!!! LMAO!!! No wait, that's my fav! LOL!!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeed3 View Post
I am so glad to see this thread. I logged on just now to post something similar.

I am a little picky when it comes to veggies. I am starting to try some new ones but I feel like I can only eat so much broccoli!

I dont have any advice as I am looking for some myself. I'll be watching this thread.

I like Longhorn's idea about 50/50 in your salad. How do you measure spinach like that?
Im super high tech about this...

I shove it into a measuring cup until its full....then this is the hard part...STOP, you have enough LOL

Seriously, I just put it in a measuring cup...
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeed3 View Post
ok what is rhubarb and where do you get it?
Let Me Google That For You

Last edited by Longhorn Energy; 07-05-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 179/140/135

Height: 5'5

I too have a hard time getting my veggies in, some days more than others. These are a few things that help me;

I too add vegi's in my Omelet. At first I didn't like the omelet's, but then I read a post about putting WF Maple syrup on it. I think it's pretty good now.

I also could not stand the potato puree, but read about making it into a flat wrap. (mix packet with 74 ML of water). You spread out in small pan and when one side is cooked turn it over, this is when I add 1TBS of WF Strawberry Jelly which melts while the other side is cooking. I put my sauteed peppers and spinach in the wrap when done and it is like a sandwich w/bread.

I have a baggie of cucumbers and a baggie of celery, 1 cup worth are in each bag and I can easy grab one to take with me. Sometimes eating while I am driving or waiting somewhere helps. Celery doesn't really have a taste, but it's something to chew on.

SPINACH SHAKE: Sounds terrible but is pretty good and get 1 cup of spinach in too.

Peppers on the grill...1 large pepper is about 1 cup

Also, I tried Kale Chips which I didn't really care for. I would like to use the same recipe using Spinach this time.

I am also gonna mix up a salsa with vegi's, maybe use the Spinach Chips for dipping.
Barb4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #15  
Joined IP 6/11/12

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

LizRR- what awesome recipes? Where can I find them? And how do you make rutabaga fries? Fries was one of my favorite comfort foods so a healthy sub would be excellent!!! And you look great!! Way to go! What an inspiration! Thanks!!!
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote