Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/285/200

Height: 5'6.5

Default My wake up call

Right now my 1st goal is 85lbs but I'm aiming for about 120lbs.

My wake up call came in an odd form ... I walk to & from my office each morning & evening about 5min (maybe 1/2km @ the most) and noticed that the walk to the car @ the end of the day was painful, my back would hurt and sometimes my ankles (I ingured my right ankle in 2010 so I'm used to random swelling & pain BUT not in both ankles) but I was ignoring it, thinking it was because its summer so I'm wearing shoes with a heel or flip flops with no structure, etc so fast forward about a month and MrN asked me to come with him while he walked our puppy (8months old & full of energy), he said I had mentioned losing weight and our puppy is a built in exercise machine so I went with him & after 2 minutes I started to feel the same pain that I find when I walk to my car @ the end of the day & I realised that my extreme weight is what's causing this!!

My highest weight was 250lbs but now I'm at 285lbs and my back was injured in 2001 due to a car accident then 2 years ago my ankle was hurt and these issues combined with such a huge weight for my body to carry was the issue!!

SO here I am on 3FC, I don't want to lose weight, I NEED to lose weight, it's a matter of life and death at this point (also MrN & I are getting married next summer so I need to do this so we can start a family after, I'll be 32 so age makes it harder to get pregnant let alone being obese).

I'm going to weight myself tomorrow morning & update my start weight (I was 285 a week ago), today is the start of a new life.
I'm planning on using SF shakes for brkfst & lunch (will blend both in the AM & bring 1 with me to work) then have a snack of fruit between the shakes then a snack o veggies w/ cheese (1oz) or sour cream dip in the afternoon then for dinner whole foods (lean meat, veg & a carb like a baked potato or couscous, etc) then IF I need an evening snack small serving of fruit or yogurt, or 2cups air popped popcorn (no butter), something light BUT I plan on focusing on drinking at least 1 green tea per evening to help with wanting to eat and i'm going to purchase a travel cup that has a straw (I find I drink more/faster with a straw) for work along with a 2.5L reusable jug to fill up @ work and drink through the day (room temp water isn't an issue for me).

I'm looking forward to posting progress pics and looking forward to feeling better ...

I'll post a start pic when I've got enough posts
MrsN2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #2  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

I understand the back and foot/ankle pain. I have had 4 surgeries, 2 on each side, on my feet and now my left foot has really been hurting. I'm thinking my weight may have something to do with it. I go the gym 3-5 times a week and still I am stuck at my current weight. It seems that I gain weight and then I can lose it but only to this point. I have also been diagnosed recently with a MTHFR gene mutation which was not caused by my weight but could definitely play a role in the reason I have trouble losing weight. There are always ups and downs but stick with it!

Welcome and good luck!
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I can totally understand the foot/ankle pain. I have suffered for ovrr a year with foot and ankle pain from a condition which makes exercise difficult. Glad to have you here at 3FC! Green tea is wonderful, I like Bigelow Green tea with lemon and their green tea with mint. Good to see ypu have a plan, I hope that losing weight helps us with the foot/ankle pain. Swimming is the best exercise for being low impact on our joints. Do you have access toa pool?
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/285/200

Height: 5'6.5

TiffNeedsChange I was thinking of joining my local rec centre as there is a pool and they have a payment option that includes the gym, pool & skating (in the winter).

If MrN & I do join the rec centre I'll get the pass to allow Group Fitness as well & do Aqua Fit a few times a week plus go do laps a few times as well (I love swimming), so that combined with light exercise (walking, treadmill & some weights) & healthy eating should really help me to drop some weight and start feeling better.
MrsN2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #5  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

That sounds fun!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I completely understand this. I had other health problems and now knee problems due to my weight. I know it will only get harder (and have more problems) as I get older. I'm 39 now and know I need to get it off.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Did you see this? I think pain like you describe and these pictures should provide lots of motivation. I sure hope my ankles don't look like that.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...body-scan.html
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck. the Rec Center sounds like a great idea.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #9  
Skinny chick

Skip the SF shakes and eat real food that's good for your body. You'll be healthier and have a much better chance of losing the weight and keeping it off.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Welcome! I had knee and ankle issues at 250+ pounds. I don't have any of them at 160. You'll never regret this. good luck.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #11  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

While I agree with NCchickie about the SF shakes I think your plan is a good one to start with. Starting all over with a new healthy way of eating can be a bit overwhelming. In a few weeks when your new routine has settled in maybe you can switch to homemade yogurt smoothies rather than SF shakes - much better nutrition and nearly as easy. (You can't get much easier than mixing some yogurt, juice, and fruit and all you have to clean is the blender)
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote