Protein
10g

Sorry can't post links yet...
Anyone try this stuff?
Curvycurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

The cereal that I eat is Fiber One. A 1/2 cup serving has 25 grams carbs and 14 grams fiber, so net carbs are 11 grams. I'm weird because I like to eat it dry - it gives me the "crunch" that pretzels and other high carb food used to give me. But the high fiber content makes that 1/2 cup very filling and I found that if I eat it in the evening, it really helps curb cravings. The texture is a little sawdusty, so you have to get used to it. A good solution is to have it in yogurt, which helps the texture if you find it too dry.

It's a great way to get some fiber into a low carb diet too.

Djuna
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use dry tvp granules as a cereal (more as a cereal base, because I add other ingredients because tvp has almost no flavor of it's own).

TVP nutritional info:

Serving Size: 1/4 cup dry

Calories 80
Total Fat 0g
Sodium 2mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugars 3g
Protein 12g

TVP looks and tastes a bit like "Grape Nuts" cereal. Crunchy, but really, really bland.

I use an reduced-carb exchange plan, so I'll use tvp as the base (1/2 cup counts as 3 protein exchanges), and then I'll add other ingredients to spike up the flavor. For example cinnamon, vanilla, pecans, almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes, berries, artificial sweeteners...

It also makes a nice hot cereal by adding hot milk, water, or almond milk to the tvp and then microwaving.

Cold or hot, I usually use almond milk as the liquid (2/3 cup = 400 calories or 1 fat exchange) .

From what I understand, excessive soy intake can be unhealthy for women because of the plant estrogens, but one serving of soy-based foods per day is considered fine for most people. I usually limit it to 5 servings a week to be cautious, because I do have thyroid and other endocrine issues.

I love oatmeal, but not the carb content or glycemic load, so I'll mix tvp and sugar-free instant oatmeal and Splenda. It's as good cold as it is hot (instant oatmeal is pre-cooked, so you don't have to heat it, you can eat it as a cold cereal).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 23stone/17st11/11stone3

Height: 5'6''

I like flaxseed meal as a hot cereal. I heat it up with hot water and a small dose of salt. Other cereal ideas are the muesli type, where it is chopped nuts and seeds, a very small bit of oats (if you tolerate grains) and flaxseed. I sometimes add a small amount of currents as the bit for sweetness. Mind you, perhaps 4 currents to a bowl. Then I add cream (can be diluted with water).
mysleepingdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/160/135

Height: 5'5

I like Special K more than Fiber One because Fiber one has like 30 grams of sugar.

Also, watch your milk, I like coconut milk because that has the least amount of calories/carbs/sugar.

Also, serving for Special K is 3/4th a cup.
BlackBarbieKiss125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/ticker/???

Height: 5'8"

I've had the Special K. Didn't even really make it through the box. It's not bad, it's just not good. I'd rather be stricter for a while and then splurge on something that is good than eat something I don't really want but that would allow me to eat more carbs elsewhere.

To that end I've found that compared to the other junk cereals the net carbs in Cocoa Puffs are actually the lowest. So if I really want some cereal I'll eat some of those.

NB: While I've just recently started to try to lose weight, I'm hypoglycemic and so have been looking at carb counts on stuff for the past 15 years. So don't look at my join date and think I'm nuts.
Captious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/160/135

Height: 5'5

THey just changed their formula, now has 19 gram of carbs
BlackBarbieKiss125 is offline   Reply With Quote