Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Unhappy I feel like I post too much. Anyone feel like calming me down?

First, I sort of feel like I dominate the forum in the worst way, like I'm always posting something somewhere about something. So sorry if that bugs you <3 Love me anyway please..

OKAY. ANYWAY.
Bought a scale.
I've GAINED 25 POUNDS?! WHAT!? WHAT?!
195?! I eat 1400-1500 calories a day.
Do Jillian Micheal's Body Revolution every day, as planned.
I..
What the ****?

TOM is here, granted. But that could NOT mean 25 pound gain. I don't look heavier...I don't think. Maybe I do? I dunno. I see myself every day and wear stretch pants. I have no indicator. Now I'm obsessing.

Granted I don't drink enough water. But NO way is that 25 pounds.

I've worked my butt off and now I just want to cry. :c

Now I have to change my ticker! I don't even know how to do that! I don't want to do that!
AHH.

Anyone have any ideas about why this random gain might be happening?
I dunno if Jillian's workout is really a muscle-building type of thing, so I doubt I've gained 25 pounds of muscle. :I
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

when and where did you last weigh yourself?? different scales say different things but i'd be surprised if it's off by that much...did you zero out the scale before using it? ...i dont know much about scales...old batteries maybe?...but i bought a new scale last year and it gave me a 3-pound gain from my old scale...i just rolled with it...if you dont think you've really gained, if your clothes fit fine etc, than you probably havent gained
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
when and where did you last weigh yourself?? different scales say different things but i'd be surprised if it's off by that much...did you zero out the scale before using it? ...i dont know much about scales...old batteries maybe?...but i bought a new scale last year and it gave me a 3-pound gain from my old scale...i just rolled with it...if you dont think you've really gained, if your clothes fit fine etc, than you probably havent gained
I weighed myself at the gym abouuut...2 weeks ago? Maybe 3.
I tested the scale there, put a five pound weight on it and it read 5 pounds.

If by zeroed out you mean made sure the needle thing was at zero, yes D:

I only have one pair of jeans, lol and they've always been too big, and all of the skirts I have are stretchy so I have no way of judging. Eeek.

I guess I'll sort of just roll with it, assume it's true, and work harder :/

<3 thank you for the reply!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The best thing you can do is educate yourself.

To gain FAT you have to eat at a caloric surplus so to gain 25 lbs you would have to have a caloric surplus of over 80,000 calories.

Did that happen? Didn't think so.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
The best thing you can do is educate yourself.

To gain FAT you have to eat at a caloric surplus so to gain 25 lbs you would have to have a caloric surplus of over 80,000 calories.

Did that happen? Didn't think so.
I've seen you post in other threads and as I was typing out my stuff I was secretly hoping you'd come into mine and say something like this. lol.

I always enjoy reading what you say because it's to the point.

Anyway. Thank you. I'm just number obsessed and sensitive. Reading that, I know that there is NO way that's 25 pounds of fat, and that being said I don't need to worry. :]

So thank you.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

I agree. There's no way you gained 25 pounds. I'd weigh on the scale at the gym, maybe at a friend's house, etc. One of the scales is wrong.

You really should either have some clothes that give you an idea of when you're losing or gaining. Especially if you're building muscle, the scale is not necessarily a good indicator of progress. (But you really have to TRY to gain 25 pounds of muscle, and it would involve a good number of calories. I promise you - you will not accidentally gain that much muscle.) Another option is a tape measure to keep you better tuned into your progress.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #7  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Seconding LaurieDawn's suggestion on the tape measure - easy, cheap and you don't pull it out as much as some get on the scale. Be sure where you measure each time - (measure up from a joint or something if you need to - so you know the exact place) but I've never heard of someone re-measuring 10 times, but some folks are so obsessive they'll get on the scale 10 times trying to get a different number. Don't get into that mode - eat smart, work out - and measure every month or so ... maybe one of the scales is off, but get those initial measurements and that's really what people see anyway.

Good luck!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #8  

Thanks for the replies!
I do have a tape measure, and I've lost several inches. So I should really calm down, lol.

I think I'll buy a pair of pants that actually fit, so that will help me sort of gauge it :]
Old 07-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #9  

Scales are dirty liars and I don't trust them LOL

PS: I'm prone to being a "too much poster" too.. not a bad thing it if keeps you away from the cookie jar, right? *giggle*

Last edited by VickyK; 07-04-2012 at 02:48 AM.
VickyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

You don't post too much, silly person. You were the first to reply to my two first post and I really appreciated it.

Anyway, it's been said but you cannot possibly have gained that much. I have two scales at home (my father's and my own that I used to have in my dorm), and they always give me significantly different numbers, mine is usually less flattering. Also mine has been going crazy lately - like saying that I dropped 7 lbs in 24 hours and than putting 20 lbs back on the next day. I suspect it's the batteries.

So no, just weigh yourself at the gym again next time! Compare and see if there is a consistent difference between both scales and that will give you something to go on.

On the posting too much: I don't think I have been doing that, but I HAVE been reading the forum obsessively, like 20 times a day including when I am at work (internship). It's like a surrogate for biscuits or something.

Last edited by runthecontinent; 07-04-2012 at 03:06 AM.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200+/147/140

Height: 5'3

What kind of surface is your scale sitting on? If it is squishy (like carpet) you will not get an accurate reading. One time I thought I had gained 15 lbs. in a week after I moved and the new place had a carpeted floor. Stuck the scale on a hard surface and was suddenly back to normal.
Coldsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

Weigh yourself, with clothes on, at home. Then go straight to the gym and weigh yourself there. See what the difference is between the two. That'll most likely account for a lot of those twenty five pounds, and make you feel much better.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #13  

I agree about the tape measure.
CurvyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Take the new scale with you to the gym and put a five pound weight on it and see how it compares with the gym scale. If it is off by 25 pounds take it back to the store, tell them it is defective.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Use a heavier weight than 5 pounds, too. Since it might be off more with heavier weights. I use 20 or 35 pounds to check mine.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote