Old 05-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #1  

Default MF chili - meal or monster?

Wow, this stuff is awful. Just. Wow.

I can't think of a single way to improve this dish. It just sits there, an almost gelatinous brownish red blob, staring up at me with knobby, shriveled brown "bean" eyes. I tried to set it on fire and that just made it angry.

halp!
Bones1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

OMG, I love the chili - it's one of my favorite meals! I mix it up the night before or in the morning, plus I add a couple good tablespoonfuls of salsa. If I have room for the calories, I love to add a pinch of shredded cheddar, too. Mixing it up a few hours in advance lets the beans soften up, and the chili thickens up some, too.

Hope that helps!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #3  

I bet the salsa would punch it up some. Maybe I didn't add enough water, because mine came out pastey and like I could mold it into shapes. Needed more moisture. Maybe half a can of diced tomatoes?
Bones1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I bet diced tomatoes would work well, too. I like the flavor salsa gives it, but tomatoes with some cayenne or hot sauce should be yummy, too. I don't really like how it looks if I use green salsa - red salsa makes it much prettier.

I like my chili thick, but I do mix it with a little more than 1/2 cup water - not quite 3/4 cup.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #5  

I hate the chili,it is my least favorite.
PianoPraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hahaha! I felt the same way the first time I tried it.

First, add the boiling water, put a lid on it and let it soak for at LEAST an hour. Overnight in the fridge is better! Then reheat with 1/2 c diced tomatoes and a bit of chili powder. Very good then!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/173/150

I just don't get why they have to put the slimy stuff in everything!! I think it is soy flour paste or something (some kind of starchy stuff). It would be fine with clear broth in most cases lol. the bars are smaller than the average diet-type bars. They have a funny after taste (sugar free I suppose). I am also not sure I am comfortable with all the saturated fat in all the products because I primarily started this to lose a few pounds due to high LDL-P cholesterol. This stuff is expensive and it tastes likes butt. I can't believe I spent 315 bucks on it! People really don't think we try LOL. I am trying!
eightiesbabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/131

Height: 5'2"

I haven't tried the chili... kinda on the fence now :P BUT - I am in love with the sloppy joes, and I saute some mushrooms and garlic to put in that one. It's delish.
amyaimeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 273/173/150

But are we supposed to be adding stuff? There are all these recipes and stuff, but won't it mess up the whole "glycemic index, ketosis" factor that is supposed to be the secret to the diets success?

I just cancelled further shipments, I hope my credit card doesn't get charged for another shipment.

I am losing weight without medifast. I just thought it would help kick start a few extra pounds weight loss for my daughters wedding next monthl; but after actually tasting it, I have decided that I can have tiny portions of normal food.

I would rather control my portions/calorie intake than have to doctor up stuff that tastes funky just to be able to choke it down!!

I still have a few weeks of food left and I plan on sticking with it that long. Maybe I will change my mind and acquire a taste for it by then. I don't know, I just can't believe I put myself in this situation.
eightiesbabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #10  

Hi eighties..
I actually came to MF after years on Atkins. Atkins works but I was just tired of it I guess. I think the pasty stuff in the MF is the soy protein and that is what keeps the protein up and the carbs down, but it is also low fat. So I think of it as medicine for my out of control lifestyle and eating habits. It is so satisfying that I don't get hungry and I do notice I can have more carbs on MF and lose just as fast as when I was on Atkins. The carbs are a luxury for me and I notice that we can have more carbs using MF. With Atkins I had to keep them under 20 grams per day!!!! So the goup is palatable and of course there are some items I like much better than others. I am sure you will find that out for yourself also. Hang in there.
Elstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/131

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesbabe84 View Post
But are we supposed to be adding stuff? There are all these recipes and stuff, but won't it mess up the whole "glycemic index, ketosis" factor that is supposed to be the secret to the diets success?
You can totally add things to the meals, you just have to count what you're adding against your lean and green. So if I add 1/2 cup of mushrooms and a tiny bit of onion, that takes up 1/3 of my green and a condiment for the day.

Good luck on the portion control, though - that really is the key.
amyaimeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #12  
smiling

S/C/G: 168/140

Height: 5'2''

Try adding the water to the chili then letting it sit for a couple of hours. It helps the beans soften. I also add a tablespoon of salsa to the chili and sloppy joe. Makes it better.
freckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

I did medifast in the past, and the chili at the beginning was my least favorite dish! But I Love spicy food, so what I did to make it edible for me, was add the water the night before and let it sit. I like watery-er soups (I feel like I get to eat more) so I added extra water. When I would heat it up, before I put it into the microwave I would add chopped up jalapeņos and this Szechuan spicy pepper spice and then I would microwave it! It was so spicy that you couldn't really even taste it really, and I actually ended up craving that stuff! Good luck!
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote