Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/198/Not sure anymore

Height: 5'4"

Default Emotional Fat

This weekend my daughter and I spent the day downtown walking around. We were suppose to meet friends for dinner and had planned to have time to go home and change since we thought we were meeting in our neck of the woods. Well as we were walking around site seeing the phone call came, they wanted to meet us downtown for dinner. Now here is where the stress came in.

The day was close to 100* and the thought of meeting people for dinner in the clothes that I was walking in around all day was horrifying to me. My daughter calmly explained we could make this an adventure, set a budget and try to see if we could get two new outfits under that budget and do the best we could cleaning up in a bathroom. Ok.. now this sounded like fun till it hit me.

I have lost over 80lbs in the past year. I am now less than 200lbs but still haven't shopped in a "real store" yet. I love that consignment stores have all sizes together so I can blame poor washing or the make of the clothes on the size not on me. I hadn't actually gone shopping and the next thing I knew I was standing in the Gap. Terror actually ran down my back.. how was I suppose to fit in clothes here? I am still considered "obese". I did end up with a size 12 shorts and a top..

Now when will this change? How do you move on from the self image of being morbidly obese? I still think that people see me as the fat girl and I try to hide all the time. I have cried over the weight loss, about how I feel about it. I know that I should rejoice but am I the only one that is having these issues?
Joryan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #2  

I'm sorry it was an uncomfortable trip for you, shopping can be a real nightmare sometimes! You should be extremely proud of yourself though, not only have you managed to lose 80 pounds but you went in that store and you found something you could wear! You will get there, one step at a time!!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW/CW/GW: 250/208/165

Height: 5'4.5"

Have you taken pictures from all stages of your progress? Take a picture of you now, and compare from one of your "befores." It takes awhile for our brains to catchup to our bodies, and pics can help.
jaded408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/155/150

Height: 5'5''

I know how you feel! It will come slowly but surely. Look at what you accomplished...you DID walk into a "regular" clothing store and you DID find something to wear! That is such an awesome feeling, isn't it?
Sometimes I will hold up a pair of jeans or a skirt from the laundry and think "yeah, only my thigh will fit in this" even though I have worn them before and of course that is my size! Now that it is summer...I'm throwing you a challenge--say good bye to long pants!!! Only skirts, dresses and shorts. I did this last summer and it was uncomfortable at first, but then I got used to it. Now, I LOVE how I feel wearing those things!
k8325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #5  
I wanna be so hot that...

S/C/G: 242/188/145ish

Height: 5'4.5

I am kind of worried like you are. Except I am worried that I will never be satisfied with my weight and I will continue to keep losing far after i have met my goal. I don't want to have an unhealthy body image, but even though I have lost nearly 50 lbs I still feel grotesquely obese. Anyone else feel like this?
celticrae19 is offline   Reply With Quote