Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/195/130

Height: 5'2

Default Suggestions for what to add to my exercise routine.

Hi all! I am at something of a plateau right now. I re-committed to getting my butt to the gym at the beginning of June and have gone nearly every day since. At the gym I do 35 minutes on the elliptical. I have been adjusting to that pretty well. I started off going about 2.3 -2.4 miles in the 35 mins at the beginning of the month, and now go 2.8-2.9 miles in the same time. I used to feel like it was torture and now I *gasp* almost "enjoy" it. Anyway, I also do two machines while I am there. I do Lat Pulls (started out doing 3 sets at 40 pounds) and now do 3 sets at 45 pounds. And I do the hip abduction machine. I do 3 sets at 90 pounds of inner and outer thighs.
OK...here comes the question. I can see truly noticeable changes already! My legs are toning and getting defined. My arms, shoulders, upper back and collarbone area are thinning rapidly. But I have only lost 4 pounds in the month. From all of the reading I do here I know that tends to happen when you restart a gym routine. But it does frustrate me to not see the scale move. The biggest question I have is what would you add next? Is there a machine or two that would be a logical addition to what I am doing? I will add to that my endless frustration is with my midsection. I have a massive "spare tire" that doesn't shrink. All of my weight lies there, plus I am suspecting that excess skin is part of the problem. So if you saw a pic of me from the chest up you would think I was much smaller than I am. The belly bulge goes all the way around to my back and leaves me looking deformed. I can't wear dresses or anything straight (like a tshirt) because of the huge blob that just sits there. I understand that ab machines will only build muscle under the fat...that they won't get rid of it. So what do I do???

Sorry that this is so long and rambling, but I would appreciate ANY and all advice!!

Liz
startswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

fat loss will come mostly from your restriction in calories, but exercise is good for a million other things. Your spare tire (I have one too) will go away with diet. Can you bike, run or use the stair climber? Doing different cardio (and doing it outside as opposed to on machines) helps keep your muscles balanced and happy. I'd also add in some planks and push ups.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Drop the abductor machine and start doing squats and lunges. And planks, to strengthen your core. The latt pulldown machine is a good one. If there's a seated row machine next to it/attached to it, use that too. Otherwise, push ups (at an incline if you can't manage them from the floor) or chest presses with dumbbells. Most of the machines are junk--basic exercises with dumbbells are MUCH better for you.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 293/195/130

Height: 5'2

Hi guys! Thank you for the suggestions! I can definitely switch the cardio up! I am going to have to look up planks. I have heard of them but have never done one. Pushups I can definitely add too. Thanks for giving me hope that the belly blob will go away, because I just feel like it is never going to go.
startswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #5  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
Drop the abductor machine and start doing squats...
^ That

Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press. Rinse, repeat. Lift as heavy as you can for a max of 8-12 reps (3 sets), and add weight for the next workout every time you complete 3 sets of 12.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote