Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #1  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Default OMG! So cool. Zombies Run (game/app)

Hi Gals,

I am over the top excited. I just did a 5mile run with the zombies run app. It's a kickstarted project that launched for iphone a while ago and for android just this week.

It's an app for smartphone that like a fantasy-audo-book tells you a story, and you are one of the chracters. There's a tech-guy named Sam that's gonna talk you through your run. Not the entire time, just in verynow and then the story-line picks up. He will tel you there's zombies coming in right behind you and you have to speed up. The best explanation is here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-adventure-for

I just did it and it was so much fun. I am a big fantasy fan and love The Walking Dead. I also like running for fun, and don't care about the time or distance. So my 5mile took me an hour and 10 minutes. I ran along the river near sunset and went off road and onto the small paths. I got so into the story I even heard my heartrate monitor complain when I got spooked by the sound of zombies right behind me. All in all, it was the most hilarious and awesome thing.

I guess it's only awesome when you have a lively imagination like me - but I am sure some of you do. If so, you HAVE to give this a try. It's still in beta and they are working on it. But it's so worth it.

<3

Last edited by philana; 06-26-2012 at 04:53 PM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #2  

Sounds interesting!
HealthyHanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #3  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing philana, I can't wait to check it out!!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #4  
I can do hard things.

S/C/G: 310/ticker,baby/160

Height: 5'7"

I can't wait to try this!
swanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I would LOVE to try this app....but it looks like it's $8? Wow. Not sure I want to spend that much money on an app.
Going to look into it more. That seems pretty pricey.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #6  

Thanks for sharing! Going to download this app now! So excited!!
Gilliansoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #7  
present!

S/C/G: 200/174/145

Height: 5'3"

I love this app as well! I've had it for iphone for awhile now and it's made my runs a lot more fun.
I would like to say something about the price. I'm the first to admit I'm really cheap about a lot of things, but I paid $9.99 for my app and it was worth every penny.
We don't think anything about paying $3 for a juice drink or a coffee that is gone as soon as we consume it a few times a month, but many of us quibble over an app that costs more than $3. There's a lot of time, effort and money that goes into an app from a developer to create it as well as to keep updating it going forward. If it's developed for apple, they have to pay for access to the code (android is open source) and it takes hundreds of hours of work and testing to get it ready to release. This app, in addition to all the "normal" programming it takes just to get it to your phone, has scripting that is read by several actors, integration into your devices gps and accelerometer so it not only knows where you are but also how fast you are going (for zombie chases!). They will also have integration into Runkeeper soon for easy logging. The app also runs your own custom playlists from your device in between scripts, your music, not some yucky canned stuff with a weird bpm. There's also a subgame where you get supplies on your run and get to distribute them between buildings at the home base.
There are currently 23 story based missions and 7 supply missions. That's a lot of running and entertainment for less than $10.

tl;dr it's a cool app that had a ton of work put into it and you will get months of enjoyment out of it, especially if you like zombies and actually being a part of an audiobook instead of just listening.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #8  

Spinach That's true, thanks for pointing that out. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I was just really surprised by the price. Especially because the kickstarter website says that they've already received over $72,000 in donations.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #9  
present!

S/C/G: 200/174/145

Height: 5'3"

smiles... I didn't mean for it to be an argument or a finger point. I've just seen a lot of discussion (I'm on several forums) that the price is high and personally, I'd love for this company to succeed so they can put out more things like this one.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #10  

Spinach I didn't think you were either. I love love love how everyone can be respectful on this board, even when opinions differ.

You're totally right--if they put so much work into an app (and this is clearly an app that received a lot of love and effort) then they should make it more than 99 cents! I guess I was hoping that it would be more in the $5 range.

I kind of wish there was a trial period, or a more in-depth description/video. Maybe I'll treat myself to it when I reach my next mini-goal or something like that. I try to only buy apps when I know I'll definitely use them.

and I want to make sure I'll be able to use it, since I only have an iPod touch. So if I'm out running....how does it work without wifi?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomp View Post
Do you think this would work for bike/cycling?
I would love it but don't run.
It's not actually designed for cycling, but I guess it works. You would just have to get over the fact that the characters keep telling you to run. :-)
I'm sure it would track your route and your speed just the same.

Last edited by runthecontinent; 07-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Ballerina View Post
Spinach

I kind of wish there was a trial period, or a more in-depth description/video. Maybe I'll treat myself to it when I reach my next mini-goal or something like that. I try to only buy apps when I know I'll definitely use them.

and I want to make sure I'll be able to use it, since I only have an iPod touch. So if I'm out running....how does it work without wifi?
Hey, I'm pretty sure you need a smartphone with GPS and internet access (not just wifi connection). I don't think you can use it with an iPod. Might be wrong though

Just looked it up, and I AM wrong! It does work for iPod touch. Amazing what those iPods can do these days. :-) I have a six-year-old iPod mini, which, contrary to what the name suggests, is pretty huge and heavy. Cannot do much other than play music!
I don't think you need wifi while you are running really, but you do need gps if you want to track your runs properly. (Although you don't HAVE to do this but I think you miss out if you don't). I guess you can then just sync your runs when you get back home and connect to wifi.

Last edited by runthecontinent; 07-01-2012 at 12:16 PM.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #13  

Oh man, I so want to be a runner! This might be just the push I need to make it happen!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #14  

But how does the GPS work if I don't have wifi? So many questions! Haha

edit: I mean when I'm home I'll have wifi, but when I'm out running I won't.

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 07-02-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #15  

For those interested, it's on sale for the weekend. $3.