Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Default Exercise and Alcohol

I need to recommit.

I have been eating well, maintaining between the same 5lb range for about 3 years. Previous to that, I was at goal for one year, so for the past five years, I've not changed my eating habits with the exception of going from 30% processed to approximately 10%. I make most of my food from scratch and I really enjoy cooking.

My issue is that after my pregnancy and divorce 3 years ago, I've been dating, rekindled friendships, and am just having a great time celebrating life. Often this includes alcohol (read: calories). My friends and I drink at our book club, camping, cookouts, the beach, firepit parties, Sunday funday, and any and all get-togethers.

I weighed myself this morning and a gleaming 136 came up. It's time to cut out the empty alcohol calories and get myself exercising for longer than a few weeks at a time. I miss going to the gym and lifting, and I miss having that alone time where I'm doing something positive for my body and not just partying it up because I have a sitter. I miss when my Fridays were reserved for grocery shopping and watching What Not To Wear with my infant (who is now almost five!).

Here is to a new commitment and a new, healthier lifestyle. I'm looking forward to feeling and looking good again.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #2  
present!

S/C/G: 200/174/145

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations on your recommitment!

You make most of your meals, why not your drinks as well? There are a ton of websites and cookbooks on mocktails that you can make at home.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Congratulations on your recommitment!

You make most of your meals, why not your drinks as well? There are a ton of websites and cookbooks on mocktails that you can make at home.
Thank you!!

I'm more than happy to drink water, black coffee, etc. I don't have a sweet tooth, so the mocktails are out...unless they have a calorie-free whiskey!

I don't have any issues with eating while drinking alcohol, and it never throws me off my menu the next day, but it's the calories in the alcohol itself that really add up. I may have to avoid those social situations for a while (which works well because I'll be busy fixing up my new house over this summer).

Last edited by Munchy; 06-28-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Good for you on recommitting! I totally understand about alcohol. I have cut back A LOT since I started and use diet soda/club soda, lime juice/lemon juice with vodka instead of fruit juices or regular soda so that helps the calories a bit, heh!

I also have started back to drinking a glass of water in between drinks- I have noticed it helps me cut back because it lets the alcohol kick in. But I know you being a "shorty"- calories are precious so do what you need to do!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #5  

Most of the time I'm drinking vodka/club soda or plain distilled alcohol, so it's definitely not mixers that are thwarting my weight loss plans. The funny thing is in college I drank more often, but with my heavy gym schedule, I was 25lbs lighter than I am now and I had NEVER EVER been so tiny in my entire life.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #6  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I need to join you in that recommitment. I've been falling off the wagon (especially with the alcohol) since my birthday - and my birthday was in APRIL. It's JULY.

SMH.

I haven't gained a lot, but I am certainly not losing!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #7  

How's it going? For me, not so good. My daughter was with her father for five days - the LONGEST she has ever spent away from me. My best friend's two kids are with their father for the summer. We went to a cookout, a firepit gathering, hosted two cookouts, went to the beach, and had a blast!

I probably ate a little less than normal, but I drank during each occasion, and haven't worked out much. This weekend I'm taking my little one to the movies, going to the fireworks, and just keeping it low key. Summer is so difficult for me because there are just too many fun gatherings with friends. I love it, but not for my waistline!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #8  
No longer super size!!!

I am doing okay I guess...I've been working out but I just recently tightened up the reins on the diet and drinking. Hopefully this will pay off and I'll see a drop in weight.

Summer is my downfall - moreso than the holidays! There's nothing like a patio, nice weather, good food/friends, and an adult beverage to make me happy

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 07-11-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Summer is my downfall - moreso than the holidays! There's nothing like a patio, nice weather, good food/friends, and an adult beverage to make me happy
Absolutely. I also learned how to make the best fresh margaritas. Believe me, muddling the limes and oranges is NOT helping my arm flab as much as you'd think
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #10  
No longer super size!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Absolutely. I also learned how to make the best fresh margaritas. Believe me, muddling the limes and oranges is NOT helping my arm flab as much as you'd think
That's the justification I was using for making lemon drops and cosmos. "Yeah, shaking the martini shaker is helping my biceps and triceps!" Uhhhhh, NO.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
That's the justification I was using for making lemon drops and cosmos. "Yeah, shaking the martini shaker is helping my biceps and triceps!" Uhhhhh, NO.
We should start a bartender workout plan!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #12  
No longer super size!!!

I like the Bartender Workout plan! I am sure my waistline won't though. Especially if it comes with "Bar Food" like buffalo wings and cheese fries.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

LOL, I need to join in on this bartender workout plan.

Between social drinking and my all out "eat mexican food every day for 9 days" plan, I'm recommitting too.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote