Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #1  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Yet another stretch mark question..

I have always had stretch marks on my hips, breasts, and lower back. I've grown to accept those and they seem not to show so much.

But my stomach was taken over by stretch marks when I reached my highest weight last year, and that's basically when I decided I needed to do something about my weight.

But the damage was done, the stretch marks were fresh, purple and ugly.

I have now lost a ton of weight, am insanely close to my goal, and these stretch marks have gone pure white.

I'm wondering how much tanning can help, or worsen the appearance of these things I call my battle scars.

I just recently bought a green bikini which looks amazing, but the stretch marks seem to show more, or they did in the store mirror.

I'm just wondering aside from putting on bio oil on a daily basis, is there anything I can do to decrease their appearance...

Should I just accept them, and live with it?
Should I cover up at the beach because they're "horrendous" to everyone else?
Will tanning help fade them?

Thanks so much in advance for all the advice! xo
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

From my experience the stretch marks will not tan, which will make them stand out more... They're kinda like scars now, so I guess it does depend on your skin, if you have any scars that actually "tan" than maybe you'll have better luck than I did. I've never tried the spray tan option though, you might have better luck with that. I hopes it works out for you

Last edited by EricAnn; 06-27-2012 at 12:16 AM.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #3  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

you are a tiger and those are the stripes you earned by being awesome. Own them, Rock them and wear them as badges of courage. Yes you were fat and now you are not, you won that battle and you have the scars to prove it.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #4  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Stretchmarks don't really "tan", but I have had great success with tanning lotions, like Jergen's Daily. It is basically coloring them and your skin, and I've found it really helpful!

That being said...rock your bikini! I have them from my calf muscles up to my hips, and a few on my breasts. If I always covered them up, I would have to wear pants to the beach!

I've slowly come to just accept them. I can change my weight, my muscle tone, my clothes, etc. But I can't change my stretchmarks, and frankly I am too darn young to go around covering them up like they are the Scarlet Letter or something!!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I agree, wear the bikini. Sunlight is a lot more flattering than any indoor light too, keep that in mind. And honestly, these things that we really notice about ourselves, we hardly ever notice on others, and they very likely don't notice them on us. And if they do, screw them who cares.
I will say though, time is the best healer for stretch marks. I have many and they are quite faded now. It's one thing I hardly ever think about.
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #6  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAnn View Post
From my experience the stretch marks will not tan, which will make them stand out more... They're kinda like scars now, so I guess it does depend on your skin, if you have any scars that actually "tan" than maybe you'll have better luck than I did. I've never tried the spray tan option though, you might have better luck with that. I hopes it works out for you
I'll try out the spray tan or lotion and see what happens, then I'll know when I do go on vacay or by the pool, I'll tan freely! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
you are a tiger and those are the stripes you earned by being awesome. Own them, Rock them and wear them as badges of courage. Yes you were fat and now you are not, you won that battle and you have the scars to prove it.
*bows down* thank you for that, you most definitely made me smile, and yes, I am a tiger, and I should wear my stripes proudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post
Stretchmarks don't really "tan", but I have had great success with tanning lotions, like Jergen's Daily. It is basically coloring them and your skin, and I've found it really helpful!

That being said...rock your bikini! I have them from my calf muscles up to my hips, and a few on my breasts. If I always covered them up, I would have to wear pants to the beach!

I've slowly come to just accept them. I can change my weight, my muscle tone, my clothes, etc. But I can't change my stretchmarks, and frankly I am too darn young to go around covering them up like they are the Scarlet Letter or something!!
I completely agree, we are way too young to even worry about covering up, It's like freckles , ya either got them or you don't lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8yk View Post
I agree, wear the bikini. Sunlight is a lot more flattering than any indoor light too, keep that in mind. And honestly, these things that we really notice about ourselves, we hardly ever notice on others, and they very likely don't notice them on us. And if they do, screw them who cares.
I will say though, time is the best healer for stretch marks. I have many and they are quite faded now. It's one thing I hardly ever think about.
You hit it right on! I always thought people were looking at me, then my brother told me "are u looking at them? because you're so focused on thinking they look at you, that they're probably just worried you're looking at them!"

And if by any chance someone has the balls to say anything about them, I'll tell him to gain weight, and then try and lose it, and come see me lol
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote