Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:00 PM   #1  

Red face I answered the call of Dairy Queen

I have avoided Dairy Queen all summer, but today I gave in..those ads for the Chocolate Utopia kept calling me. It probably had tons of fat and calories. But actually I was too full afterwards and kind of nauseous. So I doubt I'll get one again. I just had to confess here...sigh! I really admire those of you who have given up ice cream. I never keep it in the house, but still eat it out once in a while.

Sherry
Old 08-27-2003, 07:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, as long as you're confessing, I will 'fess up that I had one, too. a couple of weeks ago. And it was way too much sugar and stuff for my tummy!

See, our bodies know a lot more than our minds give us credit for!

All I can say is, just pick yourself up and start anew. You know, even "normal" people eat junk every once in a while.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:11 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Don't beat yourself up Sherry. Stoping for ice cream once in a while will not hurt you. Everyone needs a treat now and then.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:13 PM   #4  

Oh boy, what a day for confessions. I guess I better fess up too. I've had a terrible day for eating. Too much of all the wrong foods. I could feel the stress building up today and I could feel myself wanting to eat to deal with it. I knew that I would only feel worse if I gave in, but I just didn't control myself. Now I feel only worse!! Lazy and yucky!!!

This is definitely something that I have to learn to deal with. I have to find another way to deal with stress. Most of the time I can handle it and don't give in, but not today.

Confession is good for the soul and I feel better already!! Back on track tomorrow!!
Old 08-27-2003, 07:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

ice cream? where??

just kidding. i haven't had an ice cream urge lately, but my advice is this: if you're having a real, honest to goodness URGE or CRAVING, denying it completely is only going to do harm. get the smallest size possible, split it with someone, do something to have just a little bit so that you can curb the craving.

otherwise you're liable to go eat a bunch of something you didn't actaully want, like donuts or chocoalte or french fries.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:39 PM   #6  

Ah, another DQ addict! I've been there twice this summer. The first time I had a small dish of vanilla. The second (just recently) I had a medium dish of vanilla - that was on a really hot day and dh suggested it as our evening meal so I think I really came in with fewer calories than had I eaten what I usually do. It was SO HOT and I really was very satisfied.

Up until now, I have worked a small dish of fr yogurt or lite ice cream into my plan for everydayand managed to lose. But it may soon need to go away since I need to really buckle down and start losing again.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:24 PM   #7  
Catwoman

Well what's summer without icecream? Move on and make a fresh start
Old 08-28-2003, 02:31 AM   #8  
missaprylj

Ice cream is one of the most devilish foods on the planet. My dad refuses NOT to buy it, but he always buys this really cheapo bulk gallon bucket, so I stay away from it. I figure I'll just have a little of the "real" stuff every month or so and I'll live. Ice cream is evil. Evil. Evil. In fact, I'd say even *more* evil than chocolate!!! Now *THAT'S* saying something!

Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 AM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Ice cream is evil. Evil. Evil. In fact, I'd say even *more* evil than chocolate!!!
Then chocolate ice cream must be reserved for the lowest circles of ****. /grin

I'm of the "eat a little bit and satisfy the craving before you eat the whole container" school of thought. So far it's worked fairly well for me. THere are days when I eat the whole thing, but I'm not usually paying attention to my eating. I mean, after eating a whole big serving/container/whatever, I'm usually overfull and barely aware of the taste of what I just ate. When I eat a smaller portion, I end up thinking about every bite and thus enjoying it more than I would otherwise.

That's how I try to deal with fudge, and ice cream, and Cheezits, and brie, and all my other favorite high-fat treats.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sherry - I am so glad there is not a DQ on every block like there was back east. There's this graham cracker thing that is soooo good. I haven't had one in two years (but only because it's a hunt to find a DQ out here).

I actually consider ice cream one of the more acceptable treats. You can usually get it in an individual package, or order a single serving, it's a good source of calcium and it satisfies my craving. Now, of course, that doesn't mean Ben & Jerry's!

My downfall is cookies. Just call me the cookie monster. I have to sit on my hands when they're in the office (and they always are).
Old 08-28-2003, 12:00 PM   #11  
Crazy Canuck

Nothing wrong with a DQ now and then - after all we're not going to be "dieting" every day for the rest of our lives and there's no time like the present for experimenting a maintenance moment (no matter how prematurely). Hasn't it been proven that losing weight is relatively simple compared to keeping it off? I'm struggling with learning how to incorporate treats such as DQ and chocolate into my lifestyle without it spiralling into binge mentality. In the old days, answering the call of DQ, Toblerone, KFC, etc. meant (for me anyway) "well, I've blown it now, I may as well sample EVERYTHING I've been missing lately". Succumbing to the treat and then getting right back on track is a measure of true success! Of course all this has nothing to do with the fact my firm supplies complimentary doughnuts, muffins and bagels to employees every Thursday afternoon.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:21 PM   #12  

I know the feeling. I have been very good this year and have not given in to ice cream but it is very hard cause i live about 30 minuts from the ben and jerry's factory and they give away pints of ice cream that are factory seconds. Now THAT is hard to pass up!
Old 08-28-2003, 03:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally posted by Goddess Jessica
My downfall is cookies. Just call me the cookie monster.
anyone who reads my journal knows this is me too. aaaaaaaaaah cookies!
Old 08-28-2003, 08:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

This was my day to hear the ice cream calling too

I took the kids to an amusement park and we had a lot of fun and I was mostly OP but mid-afternoon (after yet another pass from one end of the place to the other) we came by this great ice cream place with softserve and chocolate dip and ....

Well, it's not exactly on the Atkins diet but it did taste good

Just reading this thread made me feel better - thanks! I'm going to drag out my Pilates tape and go do pennance. Tomorrow back to the right stuff.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:49 PM   #15  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Howie bought some low-fat/low-cal ice cream from Kroger last week -- It was to die for. It's Pierre's Slender Reduced Fat Ice Cream with no added sugar. They use Splenda in it. We're talking seriously good stuff here.

There's something to be said to going elsewhere for a single sundae when you have a craving, though -- it's better than having the stuff in the house where you're tempted to eat the whole thing!
Closed Thread