Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 146/CW 133/GW 126

Height: 5'5

Cool Back on the weightloss bandwagon!!!!

Hi everyone I have just started working out again. I have a few questions....so far I have worked out 4 out of 5 days & burning a minimum of 675 calories a workout which normally takes me about an hour and I am also workin in a lil of weightlifting into my routine. Prior to working out I was down 132lbs since I started working out i have gained a few lbs. =/ I am currently at 135lbs. Why am I gaining weight if I have been busting my butt? I am getting discouraged. I know its only been 4 days I am going to stick to working out, but I would like to know if anyone has expierenced this. Please help =) Please share your work out routines & meal plans thank you!
valeried316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4

When you begin a routine or just hit some hard workouts in general, it's totally normal to have some water retention. Have you read the stickies on it?
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #3  

No I haven't where are these stickies posted?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4

If you go into the "weight loss support" thread, they are right there at the top. One is titled "Water Weight and Scale Fluctuations" and discusses it a bit. A quick Google search will show you a lot of examples of it as well.

Anyway, that would be my guess... and it's totally normal. Assuming that your new exercise program isn't causing you to eat more calories and therefore negate your workout calorie burn, water weight is the most likely culprit, especially if you are lifting weights.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #5  

Thank you!!! I hope so I know I didnt gain these lbs over night so I keep reminding myself they are not going to disappear overnight =)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I agree...your body retains water as it builds muscle from what I've read. Out of curiosity, how do you determine exactly how many calories you burn in an hour? Is it an estimate? Keep in mind that machines at the gym tend to be off and it's really hard to know how much we are actually burning. Also keep in mind that if, for instance, you burn 100 calories walking a mile, you would have burned 20 of those sitting on the couch so there is a difference just with net calories burned as well. People tend to overestimate how many calories they burn and underestimate how many they consume. I know I do. The key is to look at the big picture and see if you notice a downward trend (it will most likely not be linear). Congrats on getting back on track and nipping things at the bud.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #7  

I did read online that machines do oftern over estimate the number of calories that are burned. So I do understand numbers may be inaccurate I was just low ball estimating. I have just started Body by Vi so my calorie intake isnt very high. I just need to be patient and stick to it. Thank you for the info =)