UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #1  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Default Now our waists have to be tiny!

Hey guys. Did anybody see the item on the BBC about waist measurements now being an indicator of risk for heart disease etc?
The ideal is under 80 cms. They had a fitnes instructor on who didn't make the ideal despite teaching classes and going to the gym most days...and looking athletic and gorgeous.
Is this another example of arbitary figures being used...like BMI without any discussion of underlying fitness.BP/cholestrol etc?
DISCUSS!!
My best friend is a size 12-14, never exercises, eats rubbish and yet she would be considered much healthier than someone like me who despite being grossly overweight exercises regularly, eats well( most of the time) and have a BP and resting pulse rate well within healthy limits.
Would love to know your opinions!!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/177/140

Height: 5'6"

The waist measurement guideline in the US is a little more generous (35 inches, about 88 cm). Those with waists over x and carry their weight higher (apple shaped) have in increased risk of diabetes, etc. according to the guidelines. But it's just a guideline. It really has to be used as part of an overall picture. What are the person's bmi, lifestyle, age, exercise habits, weightloss history (extra skin may not allow for a waist of tiny dimensions), eating habits, weight, genetics, frame size, etc.? The waist measurement can't be taken in a vacuum, though doubtless some will. The important thing is having a strong and healthy body no matter what its measurements.
Alegria25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

I've been hearing about waist measurements as indicators of health for years, but 80cm? That's only 31.5 inches - I guess they've changed the guidelines recently. Last I heard they were saying 34 inches, which just makes me think I'm doomed. I've never had a 34 inch waist!

I don't think it's entirely arbitrary, it's just removed from context and simplified to make it a simple and memorable soundbite for all us plebs who can't be trusted to be healthy without government intervention. Unfortunately, it backfires all too easily - my waist has never been that small, and despite these past four months and four stone it is still not that small, and if I hadn't sorted my head out before starting this journey I'd be likely to just say "screw it, all this hard work and I'm still not healthy, why bother?"
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #4  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

There are many things that are considered risks that lead to possible heart disease. I can't sit back and worry about every little indicator. I can only change what I'm doing now, and hope that my health down the road will be fine.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

I take no notice of these sort of stories - it'll be some different soundbite by next week. Don't worry about.....although i did quickly measure my waist and mine is 78cms....phew!
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

I've only got a tiny tape measure from a cheap sewing set. No way that's gonna make it round my waist. So I'll just keep pottering along in the bliss of ignorance.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #7  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

sheesh I would need a very long tape measure like builders use!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote