Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'5

Default crystal light

Hey gals

So, I sometimes drink crystal light if I get a sweet craving every once in awhile if I crave soda.

So, anyways if you like crystal light you have to try the crystal light appletini..OMG it is so good. The are called mocktails. Super good!

I posted the link for you guys just incase you want to take a look at it.

http://www.kraftbrands.com/crystalli...ails/appletini
katy929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I seen those... I'm usually not a crystal light fan but I've been curious how those mocktails taste. have you tried any other flavors? I wish they had a pina colada one!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

I only bought the appletini but, next time i go shopping I am going to try another one. I was surprised how good it was lol
katy929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #4  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I've tried the mojito one. It's pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's spectacular -- definitely a different twist. I'll look for the appletini one.

I just made up a concoction last night that is really good. I made a pitcher of Crystal Light mango/peach green tea and added about a 1/2 tsp of almond extract and a sprinkle of cloves. MMMM! I love it! I got the idea from a friend who made a sugar free hot cider last Christmas by mixing a lot of SF drink mixes. Of course, I store mine in the fridge. It gets so hot in Texas, I think I'll be enjoying this beverage a lot this summer.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

wow I have to try some of the new flavors!

I love the peach tea, iced tea, pink lemonade and fruit punch.

With the summer I've been having more of the pink lemonade, but for some reason I always find it too strong to use the recommended water/crystal light ratio. Usually I'll use one of the packets in a big water bottle, or put half in one small bottle and half in another.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've tried all three. My absolute favorite is the margarita.

I like the appletini, but it's got a very strong "apple jolly rancher" type flavor. I think it's too strong, so I use more water when I make it. Or I'll make it full strength and then dilute it with unsweetened sparkling water.

I like the mojito, but while the mint makes it very refreshing, I think it also makes it "clash" with some foods - so I don't drink it with meals or snacks.

If you like Crystal Light, you'll LOVE Walmart's "Great Value" drink mixes, because they come in many of the same flavors. I strongly suspect - as in I would bet money that they're actually made in the same place and that usually the only difference between identical flavors is the label. The packaging used to be identical (except for the labels) and they both switched to packets at around the same time.

I actually prefer Walmart's "lime margarita" to Crystal Light's - but I want to compare them side-by-side to see if there's actually a flavor difference, because I think there is, but can't be sure since I've never had them side-by-side to compare.

The cherry pomegranate I'm even more sure is the exact same recipe (because I have made pitchers of each back-to-back, though I've never had a side-by-side comparison either.

The Walmart Great Value "apple" isn't like appletini at all (unless they've changed it, since I've bought it) it's more of an apple juice/cider flavor. I like it better than the green apple candy flavor of the appletini.

There are some Crystal Light flavors that don't have corresponding Great Value flavors, but there are also Great Value flavors that Crystal Light doesn't make (or at least don't appear on our local shelves).

I've never seen a Crystal Light cherry, cranberry or grape flavor, but Great Value has a cranberry, cherry, grape, and cherry limeade. I think Crystal Light has a cherry limeade, but I can never find it.

Walmart has also added what looks like it's similar to Mio - the flavor drops for water. I haven't tried those, and unless I see a flavor I have to try, I probably won't. The flavor drops are a rip-off in my opinion. First they have to add extra preservatives because it's in a liquid form, AND it the cost per serving is ridiculous. Although you could say the same thing about the single-use packets (and I do. I rarely buy the singles unless it's a flavor I've been craving and I can't find it in the 2quart packs. Or at the dollar store).

Oh that's another cool place to get drink mixes, but most come in singles. They have Wyler's lemonade, Hawaiaan Punch flavors, and they recently added CherryHead and LemonHead (patterend after the Ferrara Pan candies). I've tried the CherryHead and it really does taste like the candy. It's a different cherry flavor than in the Great Value brand.

I wish they would make resealable packets in the powders, but what I do is buy tiny tupperware-like containers from the dollar store (they come in round and rectangular and are about the size of a stack of two or three oreo cookies) and I'll empty a packet or two of the mixes into the container. I cut most of the handle off of a cheap 1/8 tsp and leave it in the little box. I then slip the box into my purse or pocket. "Dry MiO").

Target has a few unusual flavors in their housebrand too (in fact thee's two
housebrands, Market Pantry and Archer Farms. Market Pantry is their regular store brand, and Archer Farms is their "gourmet" label).

The have a pear/appple and a acai berry punch that are awesome (I've only seen them in the single serving packs, though).

I tend to like my flavors diluted, so I just use a gallon pitcher and use a 2 quart packet and fill the pitcher 3/4 full, or I'll use 2 quart packet and one single pack and fill the pitcher all the way. Or I'll use one 2 quart packet and some tea bags to make a refrigerator "sun tea" (I usually remove the tea packets within 24 hours, unless I know it's a flavor that won't make the tea bitter. I've accidentally left the tea bags in for several days and while I'm sure the caffeine level - if the tea is caffeinated - is higher, but otherwise it seems to do no harm).

Even though I only make about one pitcher a week, I have a whole collection of the flavored mixes in a box in my cupboard. I must have twenty or more flavors in there, and I love mixing flavors (cherry limemade mixed with margarita is very good as is almost any flavor mixed with lemonade).

If you mix cherry and orange, it tastes like cherry sweet tart candies (that was a fun experiment, but not good enough to repeat). One of my favorites though is to mix the pear/apple single with 2quart pink lemonade. It leaves just a hint of the pear flavor. That one's fun to serve to guests, because it always gets rave comments (people are often surprised it's diet, but more surprised that it's a flavor they've never heard of).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #7  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Even though I only make about one pitcher a week, I have a whole collection of the flavored mixes in a box in my cupboard. I must have twenty or more flavors in there, and I love mixing flavors
So, I'm not the only one who hoards drink mixes! ha! I have a pretty glass canister on my counter with a hundred different single serve packets. When I get home from the market, I can't wait to get things out of the boxes and with my "collection." I hadn't thought of mixing the powders. Thanks for that tip.

I love the flavors in Target's Market Pantry Mixes - even more than Crystal Light. My favorites are Strawberry Lemonade, Cherry Limeade and Lime Margarita. I always mix them with a bit more water than called for. I have a bottle that holds 28 oz, and I'll fill that and shake, and I use lots of ice so it waters it down in a glass.

I also like Wyler's Peach Tea, but it is becoming harder to find. I will definitely look for the Walmart Apple drink. oh.... I need to go fill my glass!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/239/175

I love love love the cherry pomegranate flavor!!!
Edwardsbloodtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
So, I'm not the only one who hoards drink mixes! ha! I have a pretty glass canister on my counter with a hundred different single serve packets. When I get home from the market, I can't wait to get things out of the boxes and with my "collection."
My husband teases me about my drink mix collection (because it's overflowing the box) and my tendency to reorganize it, and desire to constantly expand the collection, and the thought in which I put mixing the flavors. He says it's just an extention of my condiment addiction (He always jokes that he's going to buy a seperate fridge for my condiments).

I also add more water to most flavors. It's funny because a couple of my friends (and a few posts I've seen here) have said "I don't like Crystal Light because it's too sweet, I prefer Mio because I can add as little or as much as I want," and I say "Hello, you can do that with Crystal Light too - even if you don't want to mess with partial packages, you can always add more water."

I've even bought those little old-fashioned pastic barrettes that have a hinge on one side and a snap at the other (bought at the dollar store) and used them as clips for the drink mix packets. I fold the top of the bag over and then attach the barrette (the fold helps prevent any powder from seeping out if the barrette doesn't hold tight enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardsbloodtype View Post
I love love love the cherry pomegranate flavor!!!
I do too, but I wish it (and all the deeply colored flavors) didn't have so much food coloring in it. I have to be so careful to use a straw and not spill on myself or the carpet, because otherwise I end up looking like a ginormous 4-year old with the kool-aid 'stache.

I often will dillute it with three to five parts diet sprite or lemonade to reduce the staining potential. Another good mixer is Dollar Tree's Wild Cherry sparkling water (it comes in Tropical flavor also).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Wow--great thing to know about!!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I got the mojito one, drinking it just mixed with water and it tastes pretty good to me. I wonder if it would taste good mixed with club soda?

the store I went to only had this one and margarita but I'm going to check out walmart tomorrow for other flavors (thanks kaplods!)
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
I got the mojito one, drinking it just mixed with water and it tastes pretty good to me. I wonder if it would taste good mixed with club soda?

the store I went to only had this one and margarita but I'm going to check out walmart tomorrow for other flavors (thanks kaplods!)
I love mixing Mio and Crystal Light with seltzer. Makes it taste like soda.

So far I've mixed the Mio Blueberry Lemonade and Crystal Light Fruit Punch and the Pink Lemonade. All tasted great and felt like I was drinking soda.

Just be careful! It'll fizz up very fast!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote