South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #1  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Default ...and these are the facts that I have to face...

Inside of me lives this spoiled child that whines. A lot. I learned in my psychology class in college...many, many, many...decades ago...that my inner child is somewhere around two years old because its all about her. So now I'm 61 years old. Hey! I don't look bad for a 61-year-old chick! Especially if I squint at myself in the mirror!! (That deserved two exclamation marks.) Through the years (decades) I've managed to gain and lose weight so many times and so quickly...or slowly that at times I honestly have no conception of what I really look like even when I look at myself in that same mirror that tells me that I don't look so bad at 61 years old. Except when I look at a photograph. Except when my doctor told me a few months ago I'm looking at a hip replacement (or two) in my near future if I do not lose weight. He recommended I lose 30 pounds.

I've been on every weight loss diet there is I think: Weight Watchers (don't ask how many times I've rejoined), Nutrisystem, The Diet Center, LA Weight Loss, Jenny Craig, grapefruit diet, the banana diet, the soup diet, diet pills that would not allow me to sleep, not eating diet, the just drinking diet soda diet. Under some doctor's care where I was given a shot of goodness knows what. You name it; I've been on it.

My family doctor told me to buy the South Beach diet book. He told me carbs are not my friend. And did I mention I'm on medication for high blood pressure? And the latest med that my doctor put me on is a beta blocker because of my rapid and erratic heart beat. So I went on South Beach and yes, I lost 11 pounds in three weeks. That was two weeks Phase I and one week Phase II (like y'all don't know that...sorry). Then I got lazy. (The story of my life) And now I'm in a panic. (I also have panic attacks so I know what "panic" really is like.) I went on vacation. And I go back to see my doctor on July 9. I'm up 9 pounds. What the f---?! (Sorry, I usually don't cuss.)

I have learned on vacation: I have learned that when I eat pizza...or pancakes...or pasta...or something saucy, my face immediately flushes. Actually, my whole body turns pink. My heart is okay. Also, I've learned this morning that the reason my joints hurt again is because of that 9 pounds regained.

Right now there are some of y'all reading this thinking that this old woman lacks common sense. And there are some thinking that I'm stupid. I'm not down on myself. I. Am. Annoyed. With. That. Inner-child!

Okay. That's all the negative. Here is the positive: I could be a much larger woman that what I am. I used to weigh almost 250 lbs. but I have managed to get my weight down to 210 lbs. and maintain that for about 5 years. But it's not enough. I'm 5'5". No...that's a lie. I WANT to be 5'5" but reality says I'm a smidge over 5'4 1/2". Both my doctor and my dear wonderful, normal-weight, handsome husband say I really need to lose at least 30 pounds. For now.

I've got 3 weeks until I see the doctor. But I have a lot longer to live without pain if I get my weight down. Because, after all, if I squint while looking in the mirror I don't look bad for a 61-year-old chick.

So...here I am...living on the Beach again.

Last edited by GailR; 06-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome back. Love your sense of humor
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back, Gail, and it's nice to meet you! You sound like your feet are firmly planted on the ground and I appreciate your sense of humor, too. Good luck this time around, and I do hope you stay longer. We'll keep you motivated and thinking positive so you can be in better shape by the time your next doctor's appointment rolls around.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Gail, I have that brat of a kid living in me too and I'm 73. I also have Ruthxxx and Ruthless. Ruthless sets very strict rules so I do my best to live just with Ruthxxx and ignore her an wee Ruthie. Ruthie had bacon and home fries for breakfast at the diner after Church, Ruthless say "No food for the rest of the day" but Ruthxx just made a ww couscous,veggie and chicken salad for supper.

Hang in there - all three of you can do it.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Gail -Welcome back - and I LOVED your post. My weight loss has stalled, and I know why - my daily wine habit. I'm not cheating with anything else, but it seems that when I have one glass, I'll just "top it off" about 3 more times! I was thinking to myself "I understand that brownies aren't good for me, and I don't eat them except on occasion. Why can't I do that with wine?" Your post about the bratty inner child rings so true. I'll just have to tell her she's not old enough to drink!
We're all here for support. Good to see you at the beach!
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224.6/196/134

Height: 5'2"

Welcome back Gail! We all have that inner bratty child... just keep spanking that little brat! This morning she wanted some home fries off my hubby's plate... what was the harm in a forkful? she kept asking. I bent her over my knee and spanked her hard!! She cried, of course, but I just finished my veggie omelet and walked away!
FabBy40Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailR View Post
I have learned that when I eat pizza...or pancakes...or pasta...or something saucy, my face immediately flushes. Actually, my whole body turns pink.
This happens to me too, but I finally learned that (for me) it was wheat triggering the reaction (sometimes a huge amount of carbs, especially sugar will do it as well - but it's usually not as severe a reaction or takes a lot more of other carbs to trigger it).

Consider trying a gluten-free diet and seeing if it helps (if it doesn't, consider trying a grain-free diet and see if it helps). From what I've read, grains, especially gluten grains, and sugars are common causes. Some people even have to limit fruits (I do have to limit natural sugars, even fruits, but I can eat quite a bit of fruit, I just can't go fruit-crazy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailR View Post
Also, I've learned this morning that the reason my joints hurt again is because of that 9 pounds regained.
This can also be due to grains (or specific grains). I've learned the hard way that grains and sugars (carbs in general - but gluten grains ESPECIALLY) aggravate my arthritis, fibromyalgia, and an autoimmune disease (that hasn't done quite enough organ damage to get a name. I learned that autoimmune diseases are generally diagnosed by the pattern of organ damage they do - mine is attacking my respiratory system, lungs, sinuses, skin, and joints - mostly the connective tissue, but that leaves a lot of possibilities).

Since going nearly grain-free, my autoimmune disease appears to have gone into almost total remission (or at least it's been slowed so dramatically that tests have been unable to detect any further organ damage).

Symptoms will flare if I eat too many servings of the grains I do eat (quinoa, amaranth, millet, wild rice, sweet corn, a little brown rice).

I have considered going completely grain-free, but so far I've done fine with limiting servings to a few of the ones that don't seem to give me problems (although they all give me problems if I eat too much of them).

I don't know that everyone is grain sensitive, but it's worth experimenting with. I can't believe how much my arthritis improves on a wheat-free, gluten-free, low-grain diet. It's amazing. I never would have believed it.

Also, my body retains fluid like crazy from grains. If I switch from a high-grain diet to a low-grain, relatively low-cb diet, I'll use 10 lbs virtually overnight (a pretty good indication that it's all water weight).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/173/147

hi kaplods
i find that wheat aggravates my arthritis too and have eaten a wheat free diet for a few yrs now, can you tell me what you use instead of wholemeal flour. I have used ground almonds, coconut flour . which i think are ok, and cornflour in small amounts which i know is ok.
eileen
slimbysummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like we should start a Wheat-Free subforum I've been pretty much wheat free since starting SB, and am finding that I feel so much better. I haven't been doing much with flours (except when it's a birthday - then I'm using almond and coconut flour) - I've been staying away from foods that use flour. I know that's not sustainable, but right now, I'm trying to get the scale to budge!
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

It is surprisingly sustainable once you get used to it. I gave up wheat a few years ago because it definitely kicks up my inflammation. I indulge on rare occasions and in small amounts but haven't really missed it after the initial adjustment phase
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbysummer View Post
hi kaplods
i find that wheat aggravates my arthritis too and have eaten a wheat free diet for a few yrs now, can you tell me what you use instead of wholemeal flour. I have used ground almonds, coconut flour . which i think are ok, and cornflour in small amounts which i know is ok.
eileen
I've tried a lot of the non-wheat flours, and keep several in the house. Right now I have coconut flour, corn flour, and a blend I bought on sale and haven't tried yet (which includes potato flour, tapioca, garbanzo bean, and fava bean flour).

I use the almond meal and coconut meal more often than the others, because I find that the higher carb flours and grains cause me promblems similar to, though less severe than the wheat, only it takes more (for some, a lot more) to trigger symptoms.

A lower-carb paleo diet seems to work best (if carbs exceed about 100g, I start to notice mild symptoms).

For weight loss, I'm starting to think that I need to cut the carbs further (I've tried cutting calories and keeping carbs about the same, and that isn't working so well).

I do think overall carbs are the culprit, but some carbs are much worse than others. I'm torn between giving them (carbs from starches and sugars, not fiber carbs) up all together, but I haven't at this point.

I've mostly given up bread except for the occasional corn tortilla, because the gluten-free breads are so incredibly expensive, and just perpetuate cravings for "real" wheat bread.

The gluten-free pastas are quite good (especially brown rice or quinoa/brown rice), but I also have portion-control issues with them, so I try to cook only what I plan on eating over the course of a day or two.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #12  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Wow! Thanks everyone! Really. Thanks for the advice.

kaplods, even though I went a little (okay, a LOT of) crazy while on vacation, I did especially notice the redness/pink flushing after eating pancakes and the pasta which both also had a lot of sugar accompanying it. I've learned so much about food and how it interacts with my body since I started SB. I, too, can eat corn and other starchy vegetables although those will slow down my weightloss. I can eat fruit. Sooooo...basically, my body is fine if I stay away from processed starches (bread, pasta). I know I can buy whole wheat bread and pasta but I suspect I'll get the same reaction. I'll have to experiment with that in a few weeks. This morning I ate scrambled eggs and a Morning Star soy sausage patty. I seem to be okay with Morning Star products.

CatMat, on amazon.com you can buy wine glasses that are called Wine Trax. They come in pairs. Each wine glass has markings for 2, 4, and 6 oz. I'm not a drinker; however, I do love a glass or two occasionally. My youngest daughter who works part time in a liquour store, loves wine and she's always bringing a bottle of wine she's discovered. Perhaps those wine glasses I mentioned will help you? I sound like I do drink now that I go back and read this post! Hah!

Ruthxxx, ohmigosh! YOU have THREE people living inside you! Bless your heart! That whiney child inside of me causes such a racket sometimes I want to phone her Mom and tell her to come get her!

FabBy40Angel, good for you! I can't have just a "forkful" of anything and think I can just stop there. And that is probably part of my problem--it's either all or nothing. And when I do step off that proverbial wagon I will always over indulge.

slimbysummer, I never thought that wheat would aggravate arthritis. I broke my little toe and I feel I have arthritis is on the left side of my left foot. Wouldn't you know THAT involved food also! I was going down a few steps into the garage to the extra refrigerator we have there--the Easter ham was there. Obviously, food and I do not get along on so many levels.

Thank you all so much for the advice and warm welcome! waistingtime, your name is what I have been doing. And cottagebythesea, I see you are not far from me.

Last edited by GailR; 06-18-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #13  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

kaplods, I'm nodding my head up and down in agreement as I read your last post. In my first week of Phase II, I noticed my weight loss slowing down, but I did notice I could eat ONE serving of carb a day and I was fine with that. However, whenever I would eat that ONE serving it triggered cravings for more. Another thing I found out is that my body does not react well with anything that has Splenda in it. I've never eaten gluten-free pastas. Perhaps when I get back on Phase II, I'll try that. I've gone back to Phase I to get myself under control and to lose the weight I regained back off.

CyndiM, I suspect that I may have to give up certain carbs forever in order to feel good. And I did feel so much better at the end of the first week of Phase I.

I need to not only to listen to my body but take its advice.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 263/214/157

Height: 5'2"

I am also gluten free since January. Not only did my digestive issues improve my arthritis symptoms are dramatically reduced and I have noticed my allergy symptoms aren't as bad. We have a history of celiac disease in our family.
Ohio Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/264/160

Height: 5'5"

Loved reading your post, I relate to it! I am back on the beach, again, too!!
Jenmichele is offline   Reply With Quote