Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #1  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Miracle Noodles?

I'm sure there is already a thread on this (I couldn't find it), but has anyone tried the miracle noodles? Do they taste good? I'm a huge noodle/pasta lover so I was just trying to find substitutes while I'm cutting back on heavy carbs.

Last edited by themusicalfruit; 06-12-2012 at 07:01 PM.
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I really did not like them. My advice is to buy one package and try them. I was so excited when I saw them that I bought a ton of them.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #3  
Just One Day!

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

They don't taste like anything...but the texture is AWFUL in my opinion. Bleck...I couldn't stomach them Some people love them though..I say get a pack and test them out for yourself!
tavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #4  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I really like them. They don't taste like anything and they aren't very good at absorbing water/sauce. They are harder than regular noodles. I really liked the gerlic version (they are thick and brown) and the angel hair. I bought the "rice" too but haven't tried that yet. They are worth it. When I feel like real pasta I don't ise them but for the most part they are just fine.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #5  

I would suggest using a peeler/spiral-er on zucchini instead of buying these. While I have used them in the past, the texture is quite different from actual pasta, can leave you bloated from all the bulk, and don't absorb sauce very well. Not to mention, they're expensive for what you get. They aren't all bad, but not really better than the alternative.

I usually either baked spaghetti squash, or slice zucchini thin and cook it lightly to use as a pasta substitute. Both are great with sauce and a little cheese on them, and you definitely get more for your money.
stunzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #6  

I buy them at Asian markets - usually 99 cents per bag. I enjoy them most in soups. It is definitely a different texture than pasta. You don't chew them so much as slurp them! My stepmom got one of those vegetable peelers that makes noodle like strips and makes great dishes that are mostly veg, taste good and satisfy the love for the noodle shape.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I've never had the Miracle noodle brand, but I do buy tofu shirataki noodles from my local Asian supermarket.

I wrote this before, but the trick is to have them in an Asian style noodle bowl - make a stir fry with a lot of veggies, maybe some protein, and add the rinsed and dried noodles with some broth and strong stir fry sauces (hoisin, sriracha, oyster, etc). I like to top mine with a poached egg - they're similar to ramen. I wouldn't, for example, top them with marinara or cheese. That flavor doesn't fit with these noodle for me.

If you don't like the texture, you can take the rinsed and dried noodles and spray a nonstick skillet with some oil spray, then crisp them slightly so you end up with something like Hong Kong crispy noodles.

The last thing to remember is not to eat an entire bag unless you have a stomach of steel. Glucomannan is a thickener and expands in the stomach and will make you feel uncomfortably full on just a small amount, so start with 1/4 bag in your dish first!

Last edited by Munchy; 06-13-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #8  

I think when you buy them they have already expanded as much as they can. I don't find that they make me feel really full - I do not like that feeling. For me they add texture and are a super low calorie way to bulk up a meal.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #9  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I've never tried the Miracle Noodles, but you might want to give this a try for pasta: http://www.fibergourmet.com/Default.aspx. High in fiber, a lot lower in calories, and it tastes exactly the same as regular pasta. Even my husband, who seems to loathe any healthy substitution I make, can't tell the difference.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Horrible!
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Absolutely nasty! I tried them in the middle of my last weight-loss go-round, on a particularly hungry day, with a delicious, cheesy sauce, and still couldn't choke them down.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #12  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I agree that soup is the best use I've found for them. I like to make chicken noodle soup with a flavorful broth and white meat chicken. The flavor seems to intensify when the soup is refrigerated. I haven't tried them with tomato or cheese sauce... Like the others said, I'm not sure they'd lend themselves to that.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #13  

Height: 5'4

I absolutely love the kinds by House Foods (they even make a macaroni shape now that I've been eating). I think the trick is in the preparation; I rinse and drain mine thoroughly, and then make sure they are really dry before I use them. I'll either wrap them in paper towels and nuke em in the microwave for a minute or two, or I toss them in a hot pan BEFORE any other ingredients and then let them dry out a bit.

I love to mix them with crushed tomato, mushrooms, turkey pepperoni, chicken or beef, tons of spinach, and italian seasonings for a huge plate of low cal pasta.

I've also used them alot with stir fry veggies, chicken, soy sauce and spinach for a more Asian flair.

Another favorite is ground turkey, tomato sauce, and a sprinkle of parmesan for that perfect pasta bolognese feel when I'm craving a huge plate of italian goodness.

I've added them to soups to bulk them up, and I've even made dishes with them that are sweet! (I've put them into a casserole dish with an egg mixture, peaches, cinnamon and Truvia and baked it. It came out as this amazing peach custard noodle dish that's hard to describe, but it was sooo good!)

Another fabulous application for them is to mix them up with a tiny splash of milk and a wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese. (Use the fettucini shaped ones) Give it a good stir, and you'll have some really amazing fettucini alfredo!

People either love them or hate them, but they're a staple in my diet and I have them several times a week.

Last edited by JossFit; 06-22-2012 at 04:14 PM.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #14  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

For the people who said they were nasty, was it the taste or texture that turned you off?
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote