Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #1  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Always Hungry!

So, back in September I found out that I am allergic to yeast. I was forced to cut out all breads, most pastas, and a bunch of other bizarre things that you don't realize contain yeast!

Anyway. I am now working an office job. My diet consists of a LOT of meat. I recently have been trying to add more fruits and veggies to my diet to help lower my calorie intake. But I am finding myself ALWAYS hungry. Nothing is filling me up. I even broke down and got some trailmix hoping the nuts would help keep me full (Im not a big nut fan). But nothing.

For breakfast: Greek yogurt, fruit, or yeast-free granola
snack: carrot sticks or grapes
lunch: edemame and a salmon basil lean cuisine
snack: nuts, or 1 square of bittersweet dark chocolate

I have been drinking like a fish (yesterday I had 136oz of water JUST at work, today I'm already down 88oz and started on my next 44oz) hoping to help curb the hunger.

What do you do to help keep fiber high but carbs low? Any recipes or suggestions?
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

What is the calorie count on those meals?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #3  
doing it right this time

The meals are usually between 300-400. I'm not a strict calorie counter. I have a mental block about micromanaging my diet :/
Old 06-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #4  

Its very possible you simply aren't getting enough calories. Which you'll only know by counting them.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #5  

Increase your fats, coconut oil, avocados, coconut milk, olive oil, eggs cooked in real butter

Last edited by fire27503; 06-13-2012 at 10:09 AM.
fire27503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hello Blondebombshell

Since you posted this under the Carb Counters thread, I am going to assume you are counting carbs. If that is indeed the case, depending on what plan (if any) you are following or how low you are keeping your carbs, it does not look like you are eating very much.
I'm on Atkins (8+ years) and while I keep my carbs fairly low (30-40), the majority of my carbs come from veggies & salads. I don't eat fruit with the occasional exception of blueberries in the Summer. When doing low carb, the 3 main focuses should be on protein, fat & veggies. For example, my breakfast typically consists of eggs, bacon and low carb/low sugar or full fat greek yogurt. Lunch is usually a salad with broccoli or green beans thrown in with full fat ranch dressing & grilled chicken. Dinner is some type of meat, more veggies and a small salad. For snacks, I'll have string cheese, hard boiled eggs, pepperoni, tuna or egg salad. I use butter on my veggies, full fat mayo, heavy cream,full fat cheeses.....to make sure I am getting plenty of fat.
I think you will find when you add fat & protein, it is filling and keeps you feeling full longer.
There are some great low carb recipes available on:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
I hope this helps
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #7  
doing it right this time

I am not a strict carb counter, I'm just allergic to 90% of complex carbs! So, I try to maintain a low-sugar, low-vinegar, and no breads/pastas/etc. I live off of meat and veggies (and the doctor has permitted me potatoes 3-4times a week). But- I figure that if anyone would have the most knowledge about how to alter a daily menu to be more filling- it would be carb counters!

Is the key really just pre-prepping everything in advance? I think a large problem is the lack of protein during the day (which lowers the amount of calories that I used to eat pre-office job significantly). Maybe making up things like grilled chicken, etc for lunch the day before so I dont feel so time crunched in the morning?

And thank you for the recipe website! I will DEFINITELY have to use some of those!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #8  

Yes, prepping is key!

I have a 3 pounds of chicken thighs simmering in bbq sauce on my stove, along with a giant pot of pinto beans. This will turn into lunches for the week, and I'll freeze some for the future.

Every weekend I make some big portion of meat - pulled pork, bbq beef or chicken, ground beef with taco seasoning, a meatloaf - and then all week all I have to do is weigh it into my tupperware, add some vegetables, beans, etc. and I have meals. It is so easy and I stay filled up! I usually have a little cheese for snacks or an avocado, dinners are usually a different meat with some crackers or something.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebombshell View Post
Is the key really just pre-prepping everything in advance?
There is a saying...."Failing to plan is planning to fail"....I believe its very true especially when it comes to totally changing your eating habits and making a total lifestyle change.
There are lots of foods that can be prepared ahead and kept in the fridge. And being prepared....can prepare you for the unexpected
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #10  

Looks like you could use more calories! I would be starving on that amount of food.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 23stone/17st11/11stone3

Height: 5'6''

I really don't see the meat or the fat on your list that will not only help with the hunger, but give you the necessary good calories.

As a comparison, I eat a dense breakfast of sausages and eggs, cheese with a midmorning tea, pate and salad greens for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner. full fat yogurt with fruit is a dessert maybe once a week. I drink coffee with single or double cream. After eating like this for awhile, the appetite naturally decreases and you find a balance with the food and your needs. Hope you find what works for you!
mysleepingdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #12  

I'm the same way - I tried going low carb and not only was I always hungry, but I was also always tired and had very little energy. I work out 6 days a week, and by the time I got to the gym after work, I had no energy to work out. I tried introducing more snacks through out the day - but gave up on the low-carb deal. It just wasn't for me!
neversettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #13  

I always find low carb keeps me satisfied and doesn't set me up for sugar cravings.
HealthyHanna is offline   Reply With Quote