Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #17

Good morning, ladies! Another lovely day in the high 80s for us today.

Thursday I had First Thursday Bee, Friday was day quilt guild, Saturday I had a funeral (that's two Saturdays with funerals), and yesterday I rearranged the living room, vacuumed, and did laundry and bedding. The cap came off my front tooth yesterday morning so I have to go to the dentist at 11:50 instead of applique bee and then I'll go do my weight training at the Y this afternoon. Tomorrow is work and night quilt guild.

Casper was into everything while I was moving furniture and cleaning the living room. He ran and jumped like a wild cat. When I got done and sat down he climbed up onto my lap and went to sleep for over an hour.

Maggie, I'm not into beading for jewelry but only for adding embellishment to quilts so the only beading books I have bought deal with beading on fabric. Thanks for the offer of your book, however. Will you and Will be retiring next year to Texas? I know the church in Hayes will miss you a lot and you sure are leaving the parsonage in better shape then when you arrived.

Jean, we have a lot of children in all our Masses but the babies and small tots are in the nursery for the most part. We have a lot of teens because we have many activities for them to participate in. It's so nice to see the ones that were little grow into adults and marry and bring their children.

Faye, you are going to be so stylish on that cruise! I hope things get back to normal quickly now that you have ended the meds from h..l.

I'm going to clean out the fridge before I go to the dentist. Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is said to get up to the high 80’s this day with thunder storms. I hope it doesn’t get windy this day for we plan to do burgers on the outside grill this evening. I am having some inner ear thingie going on for I woke up and experienced a tad bit of dizziness. My head feels full but I don’t feel bad so will bash on regardless and get some things done this day. I am totally enjoying my new coffee cup for it really keeps the coffee hot for long periods of time like they said it would. My friend wants one just like it so I will keep my other one for my night water for the ice stays ice all night in it. She and her husband both are going to order ones like this one.

DONNA FAYE Hopefully you can get in a nap this day for you will be dragging around if you can't. Your poor dog. I hope pay pal comes through and you get your order in good time. I sure like being notified by e-mail when I have ordered something for I know they got it right for they list what it is that I have ordered. If there is something wrong then there is time to get it all straightened out. But if you don't get a conformation your order has been received it leaves you to wonder.

SUSAN That’s OK that you don’t want this embroidery bead book for I will keep it with my doll making tools. It tells how to make all the different stitches on fabric using beads. It gives extensive instruction on how to create 215 embroidery stitches, each presented with a photograph and ‘how to’ illustration showing options with or without beads. It is a comprehensive basic section showcasing each stitch at a glance, plus tips on choosing the right beads, threads, fabrics and tools to ensure a success. No, it isn’t a jewelry making book for sure but I bet you have the same book or one very much like it. My sister made a quilt of ecru colored fabric and it was very Victorian looking with the knots and bead work she had all over it in intricate designs. Very pretty.

Hope all is well with you Magnolias ~ type at y’all later ~
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a sunny windy day in my neighborhood today. My neighbor (the nice one) has been put in hospice this afternoon -- a heavy smoker and now has heart problems along with lung cancer. I'm guessing he is in the upper 80s. It was interesting at church this morning. We had extra money to count with the friendship fund yesterday and automatic checking deposit today. We were a quarter off; I found it when I tried to do my posting as the treasurer had put in the wrong amount for the loose coffee change. When she came back from the bank we were $10.00 long on the budget deposit and $1.00 long in the savings deposit. I found the $1.00! On my way home I stopped and picked up the gift shop money so have that deposit ready to go.

"Gma" -- I'll bet Jackson enjoyed Cedar Point -- I have been there if it is in Ohio. Doesn't seem possible he is 5. Do you have both of Jack's socks finished? Our squirrels like frosted mini wheats too! I found a box in the back of a cupboard where I don't normally keep cereal. I'm betting one of the kids stuck it there thinking they wouldn't have to share. New jewelry is always fun! I hope it all comes through without any problem. I give you and Fortune permission for a nap this afternoon!

Susan -- I'm glad you can get in to get your tooth fixed today. Bummer that it happened! I'll bet Casper needed a nap after following you around when you were rearranging and cleaning your livingroom. I would love to meet him . . . you too!

Maggie -- I hope the dizzy feeling is gone now. We didn't have wind while we were in MN and it was delightful! I know we haven't always had the windy days we have now.

I need to put in another load of laundry and keep moving. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I am just taking a break right now and enjoying sipping a sf ff latte. I am going to season the burgers liberally with lemon pepper before Will grills them for they are so yummy that way and we don’t use any salt on them. We will grill enough of them to have some in the freezer for another go round when it is too windy to grill out.

JEAN Isn’t it a great feeling when you locate the missing money to balance out the deposit for the account. It never is much but every little bit has to fit in there somewhere. How nice it wasn't windy in MN while you were there. Made it much more pleasant for the guys to fish also. I'm not thinking fish bite very well when it is so windy either. My dizziness didn’t come back so I have attributed it to sitting up too fast from a laying down and snoozing position. I didn’t ease on out of bed but sat up fast and I don’t usually do that. Plus when the ceiling fan is set to a certain speed it messes with my inner ear and body rhythms. Because I have such acute hearing one doc said to not use certain speeds on the fans that effect folks like me. It is an old mind control tactic. So I turned the fan down a notch.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #5  

Maggie, I though your book was for jewelry making. If you still want to get rid of it, I'll be glad to buy it and pay postage. Just let me know how much and I'll send you a check.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! I'm waiting for an email and working on my "to do" list for the week. It's a cool windy morning; was 47 degrees when I started my day at 6:30. I need to run a couple errands and make the gift shop deposit this morning.

I need to get moving. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #7  

Good morning girls! It is raining today and very sticky. It has been so hot and humid here and poor Jack came home last evening looking like a limp dishrag. He said he had to work out in it all day yesterday. I made him strip and just sit and relax and he soon dozed off for a bit in his chair. I texted him a bit ago and ask if things were going ok today and he said he was fine, but he doesn't like to worry me so he could be out on that pit hog all day again. It is dirty disgusting hard work let alone the heat and humidity. They refuse to put money into replacing all the stuff so they repair stuff that is 30 years old over and over again.

I got an email they shipped all my jewelry. I bought some really cute stuff and some fancier stuff too. I got a little nervous because after I had "paid" paypal, I found out the website is in CHINA!!! I had signed up for an account, but when I went in they said it didn't exist, which made me even more nervous. I was hoping that because it was paypal and not a direct pay to this company I wouldn't have any trouble and obviously not as they have shipped and it should be here in a couple weeks.

I finally broke down and ordered a new blow dryer that is small and fits in your hand like the kind you have in hotels. Mine still works perfectly, but it is huge and heavy and hard to manage if you want to style your hair. I am going a completely different way with my haircut this time (see the sample pic) I am not cutting it until September, which will have given it 6 months to grow out. I styled it on Saturday when we went to the commissary similar to the pic to see if my hair would have enough volume to be cut and worn in the bob and I really think it will be. I have ultra fine hair and it can be a challenge with the curl that has developed in it, but it looked cute on Saturday even if it was kind of shaggy around the neck and such from growing out. I am not going to have the bangs that long and I am going to have my neckline clean and a sort of what they call weight line around the back as my hair curls up on the ends when it gets longer, but this is the look I am going to strive for except with red hair! I spent over an hour looking at haircuts for older women, women with fine hair, etc, etc, and I really like this one for a big change from the spiked look. I already have the round brush, which is what you need to style it and it is cut in a way where it is pretty easy to style from what the article said about the cut.

Jean: Wow, it was chilly at your house this morning for June. No, I have one of Alicia's socks done and one of Jack's. I wanted to test out the two yarns on Jack's socks since they were different companies and all and then have him try it on. I held my breath and the sock fit absolutely perfectly so I exhaled! Glad you got all those financial little ducks in a row. I used to hate when things wouldn't come out right. Yes, they went to the Cedar Point in Ohio. I talked to Jay last night and he was exhausted. He said it was really hot and sticky there and chasing a 5 year old is no easy feat. Well, I told him that his dad was 27 when his first child was 5 and 31 for the second one. Jay will be 39 in October and that makes a big difference even if you are very healthy and fit. He and Jackson are coming down here for a few days in August which will be fun. They will stay with us. Then they are coming the first weekend in December instead of over Thanksgiving because Tom talked Jay into running the St Jude's Marathon on Dec 1 with him. Jay has never been a runner so we shall see. His dad used to run in his younger days and was giving him tips about how to go about it and such. I am sure he will do fine.

Susan: Maybe ole Casper was upset by the rearranging of the furniture. I know it bugs Fortune when I move stuff around. It is so nice he has settled in so well at your house. I am sure you enjoy him a lot. You will have to put up a photo of a quilt when you bead it. I don't think I have ever seen a quilt that is beaded before.

Maggie: Glad you are feeling better. I have that every once in awhile and it is a strange feeling for sure. Sounds like your burgers are going to be good. I am making hamburger gravy for dinner. I wanted something fast and easy since I am trying to get cleaning done and this works great. I just used gr sirloin, ff beef broth, a tsp of the jar type of stock, and a little corn starch and water to thicken. We eat it over mashed potatos and I just buy the stuff in the carton and make them in the microwave.

Well, I see it is almost noon so I have to hop to it. Have a good day all! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sideswept-hairstyle-woman-over-60.jpg (22.5 KB, 10 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The talking heads say that it will get up to 86ºs this day with a cloudy sky but no rain in sight. Nothing out of the ordinary going on here in the ♥-Land to speak of. It is noon time of the clock and I have not yet eaten anything and am not hungry. I will have something in a bit when Will comes in for lunch. I am back and have had a half a sandwich which will do me till dinner time. We will have a re-run of those burgers we grilled last evening. I froze the rest of them but kept out some for today. I received my latest Artisan Table catalogue and of course they have a few things in it I want to order with my next allowance. They now have a set of salad servers with the blackened handles like my Twist and Shout set but these are like tree twigs and will go with my set nicely. They also have some Organic Crystallized Blossoms of pansies and snapdragons that I want to use to decorate cakes and cheese cakes for company desserts or for a pot-luck occasions. They are edible blossoms glazed with meringue and crystal sugar and beautifully dried. They also sell wild hibiscus flowers in a jar of all-natural sugar syrup that go great over a slice of cheese cake. They are raspberry and rhubarb flavored. OH ~ I am going to have fun with these flowers after I order them with my “allowance” next month. I ordered some new “under things” today and Will gave me his card to use. What a nice guy. I like having new unders.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you are getting all your ducks in a row for your upcoming cruise. Isn’t it fun to try a different hair style once in awhile. The way I have mine cut is so I can wear it in an upsweep in the back or down. With the amount of natural curl in mine I am so glad I don’t have to use a blow dryer or a curling iron. Mine dries so fast after my shower I need to decide how I am going to wear it quickly. When I bought that dresser scarf in ecru colored crochet I was surprised it was shipped from China but it got here quick. I try to buy American but it doesn't always work out that way does it. It was an American company I was ordering from but the product was shipped from China. I am glad it all worked out for you and you are getting your jewelry. Poor Jack to have to work out in the hot sun. I sure hope it doesn't make him sick.

JEAN You sure made a quick drive by the thread this day. Hope you get all that you have planned accomplished today.

SUSAN I got to looking at that book and there is a photo of a white ball cap that someone had beaded some flowers on that I want to copy and make one for myslelf. It has a beautiful beaded design on it of flowers and leaves and trailing thingies. It uses some of the flower and leaf shaped beads. I am going to tackle doing that after I have been to a crafts store that sells that sort of bead. I could probably find them on line . . . It has been a long time since I beaded anything but in my glass works. I embroiderd flowers up the legs of a pair of jeans once and embelished them with beads. I wore them a long time and got rave compliments. Oh - I was much younger then. My aunt said that if she had taken them to Rushia with her when she had visited there ~ she knew back then she could have sold them for @ $2000 or more easy. One leg was done all in climbing flowers and the other leg in oceans, seaweed and fish. Land and sea. What fun that pair of jeans were to wear. When the seat wore out we made pillows out of the legs. Yep I am going to bead a design on a white ball cap.

Hope all you Magnolias have a wonderful day ~ type at y’all later ~

Last edited by Maggie; 06-12-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #9  

Good morning gals! It is fairly pleasant at the moment, but it is going to be in the 90's today by this afternoon. Warms up the pools in the area nicely. Of course the dirt bags here have kept the condo one closed. They have even changed managment companies to some cheap group so now we won't get anything done. Ahh well.

Finish the downstairs today. It rained all day yesterday so didn't mop the floors. I couldn't see having to do it again today when muddy shoes got dragged in yesterday. So when I get done here, will have some breakfast and then get the mopping done along with finishing up the laundry and regular chores.

Ok, can you believe how much this kid has grown? This is his band picture for the Shelby County School system. He turns 12 in just a week from Monday. I love that he cut his hair all off again. I think he looks so cute this way.

Maggie: We are having seafood for dinner tonight. I have cold shrimp and Jack has crab cakes. We buy these cajun ones frozen that are Emeril Legasse and I just buy a big shrimp cocktail. We then usually have some starch and a veggie to go with it.

Well, I need to run. It is already getting later than I had hoped. Jack will be home around 1 as he has a dr appt today. Have a good day all. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomas band.jpg (20.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers. It's raining this morning and is a chilly breezy day so far. I've been to get my nails done and to the library. I've got lunch bunch at noon, a church memorial committee meeting this afternoon, and another meeting tonight. Needless to say, not much is getting done around the house today.

"Gma" -- I hope your jewelry will arrive safely and be just what you thought it would be. I think the hairdo is cute! My hair won't stay straight -- has a mind of it's own and sticks out every which way but where I want it to go. I remember comparing Jay and Jason's birthdays; Jason turns 39 in Sept. I hope Jack is back working inside where it is a bit cooler for him. Thomas is a handsome young man for sure! He has grown up so fast, as they all do.

Maggie -- I had to at you planning ahead for your purchases when you get your allowance, just like a kid! The beaded baseball cap sounds cute. I'm not a hat person but know you will enjoy making and wearing it.

I need to change clothes and get going. Enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #11  

Good morning to everyone. It is going to be a hot day here today around 93 degrees they are predicting. It did cool off overnight to low 60's so I was able to turn the ac off for awhile at least.

I have to get upstairs and do some cleaning up there this morning so I told Jack to leave the ac on in the bedroom and leave the bedroom door open. That way it cools down the hall and such.

Man, I was mad yesterday. I was knitting Alicia's sock and was on the leg when I cam to a spliced area! Not only had it been spliced together, it was spliced together two different colors. Now the sock is striped, which would have made it ok, but the color I was knitting was a very light sort of pinkish lavender and the splice was dark purple, which didn't match how the striping went on the sock. On top of that, the purple went for about 6 inches, stopped, the other color started again, but it had streaks of dark purple and orange in the lavender so when it was knit, it was a total mess and not striped at all. I had to cut at least 6 yards of yarn off and throw it away. I contacted the company, which is the one I use all the time and am hoping they will replace the skein. I went ahead and spliced it correctly and continued knitting, but it still makes me mad that you pay for yarn and you get a mess like that. This is not a machine mistake. A machine wouldn't tie two pieces of yarn together. The coloring, maybe, but not the splicing so whoever did it, knew they were splicing the color wrongly.

I should get my little blow dryer today. It should sure be easier to use that the huge heavy thing I have now.

Jean: Sounds like you had a busy day yesterday. It's hard to think of your kids turning 40 soon or at least I think so. Of course, Jay was born when I was 20 and Kelly when I was 24 so I had kids kind of young. Good and bad with it. You can enjoy your senior years more if you have them younger, but I don't think you are well prepared if you are young when you have them.

Well gals, I need to get some cereal in me and get going. Have a great Thursday. Faye
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Hot Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The local weather is said to be up to 93ºs this day with scattered strong storms. The “strong” makes me shudder. Hopefully it doesn’t do any damage to the produce. It has been very hard to grow a garden in these parts this year. I am definitely looking at container gardening on wheels where we can roll the plants under the awning during these storms. I have a flyer from the EarthBox® folks that has really caught my interest. They have a Junior™ Garden Kit that comes with all that is needed that I think I will get one of to try their method out with. This kit is designed for smaller spaces and about half the size of the original EarthBox with all the same features. This Junior model is 23” long x 7.25” H x 9.5” W. Maybe it isn’t too late to plant an outside herb garden. This method of growing plants has received the “Green Thumb 2012 Award." Anyway that is what I have been deciding on to do for next go round and it will work well also in Texas.

The cat is on the bed with the door closed and the two dogs are snoozing on the couch. Will is at the museum and all is rather quiet here in the ♥-Land this Thursday. For dinner Will has requested mac & cheese with burger in it so that is what I will make. Easy enough to do and count the points+ I may say. I have some glass work I need to finish up so that will keep me out of trouble. The dishes are all done and unloaded from the dish washer and counters all clean so my kitchen is in ship shape. That new white china coffee pot and water heater pitcher sure have earned their keep. This is the quickest water heating pitcher I have ever had. No longer do we have that big electric coffee maker taking up space on the counter. Just heat the water and pour it into the pitcher and it brews the coffee or tea. So trick. Makes excellent tea for iced tea also.

DONNA FAYE What a terrible thing that they did with your yarn. Things of that sort cuts way back on the companies "quality." Things of that sort should never ever happen. I am glad for you that you know how to properly splice. Hope you have many wet heads to enjoy that new blow dryer. They are making more and more small appliances to make traveling easier to take them along.

JEAN Sometimes when I plan ahead on how to spend my allowance if it is for "the house" I don't have to use my money. Especially for those sort of things that we both get the use out of. I call it "budgeting" and it is fun each month to decide on what and where to spend "my allowance." When I order the planting boxes they will come out of house money for sure. But the things that aren't really "necessary" I get them even if they are kitchen things like the salad fork and spoon that I want that matches our other items and the dried edible flowers. Will likes them but they aren't really necessary for life could go on without having them. Works for me. He gets to buy his things the same way. Before I order anything I ask if it can come out of house money just in case because it may come out of house money instead of mine ~ just depends. We load our debit cards with our "allowance money" at the beginning of each month. I may make a "poor boy" hat to embrodery instead of a ball cap. I have made a couple of them before and they turned out well and still have the pattern. When I get the beads rounded up I will know more of what I will do with it. I like caps especially in the Jeep where the sun can easily get in my eyes ~ otherwise I don't wear them.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-14-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #13  

Good afternoon, ladies! Only in the high 70s today and rain. We've had flood warnings most of the days this month.

This is a quiet week for me. Nothing happening on the weekend and I'm glad to be able to stay home and get on with my "spring" cleaning. I moved everything but my chair and the tv out of the family room yesterday and tomorrow I'll be cleaning the carpet in there and then rearranging that room. Then it's onto the sunroom. Cleaning the skylights is a major undertaking but needs to be done inside and out. Fortunately I can get the outside from my bathroom window.

Faye, I like that haircut. I hate trying to grow my hair out. The yarn factory might employ color blind workers! LOL

Maggie, I have a baseball cap that is all sequined. I love it. I know you'll have fun making yours with beads.

Jean, Always busy!

Have a wonderful day.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We just got in from yard sailing. We found 3 things we bought today and one is a really nice rattan lamp with matching shade for $3.00 which will go great with our furnishings and brass candle holder that holds a huge candle for $2.00 and a wooden box for tools for another 50ȼ so we did very well. Nothing that we can’t re-sell when we move but will have to enjoy for months to come for sure. Some of the places didn’t have anything out but we figure it was because last night we had such a gulley washer it discouraged them. Maybe they will put their stuff out tomorrow but we won’t be out and about shopping at garage sales tomorrow. However we have located where the farmer’s market will be and it will be their first time in town so far this year so we will be going there. I am looking forward to getting another jar of local honey and a couple bars of the wonderful soap that Simone makes. If she isn’t there with her soap I do have her phone number and can call and order some. I am looking for some fresh produce to dry also for future soups and stews.

Nothing much else happening today except I will do some glass work this afternoon.

SUSAN I have seen those sequined ball caps and they are pretty. What color is yours?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #15  

Morning girls! We have been out and about running errands this morning and just got back a little while ago. We went and got a bite of breakfast, then I went and picked up my jewelry at the post office. The IRS has been busy. At least 4 people got IRS letters to pick up while I was standing waiting for my box. We then looped around back to the Kroger's by our house and picked up some stuff then headed home. It is miserable outside, very hot and humid so we wanted to just get stuff done and head home.

Well I screwed up big time. Thomas called me on Thursday afternoon to tell me he had a band recital on Saturday morning (this morning.) That's what I thought anyway. The recital was yesterday morning so I missed it. His mom said not to fret about it as she couldn't go either. Why would they have a recital on a morning workday anyway? Seems stupid to me because I would imagine a lot of parents wouldn't be able to go.

Susan: Knitpicks was top notch. They mailed out a replacement and even asked if I still had the lot number so she could report to the manufacturer. I giggled at the color blind comment.

Maggie: Sounds like you got some good deals. Does this lady make beeswax soap? I heard it is terrific. I buy all those Burt's Bees products because of the honey in them and such. I especially like the lip balm and the cuticle stuff.

We are going out to eat with Kelly for lunch tomorrow, but that's as exciting as our weekend gets. I just hope the restaurant isn't swamped. We are going right after they open so hopefully it won't be too bad and it will be inbetween a lot of church services.

You gals have a nice weekend. I am going to go and sit and knit on her sock. I am on the foot now so it is coming along nicely. Faye