Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #16  

Good Evening, Flowers! It is clouding over and looks like it might rain, otherwise it has been another beautiful day in MN. My aunt came this morning and we had a nice visit. Lately we have just seen each other at funerals and that is not good. We went shopping in a nearby small town known for its quilt shop and a gift type store carries everything and anything you might want to take home. They have a bridal registry so lots of interesting items. My mom bought my birthday gift -- a cute little bracelet watch in both gold and silver finish.

"Gma" -- I am so glad you are almost finished with the pills. Hope you were able to finish the sock today. I will have to check out Dick Francis.

Maggie -- It sounds like you are all ready for a trip to "somewhere". Itdoesn't seem possible you have been in KS 4years. Time flies by quickly! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I will print it when I get home.

We are going to play somecards so I'm off! Enjoy your evening.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #17  

Good morning, Flowers! It is promising to be another nice day. The guys and dog have gone fishing while the others are still sleeping. I think we are going shopping in St. cloud this morning. Guess I will make coffee and read.

Hope you all have a terrific Thursday!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #18  

Good morning to you all. Little bit of a crazy morning for me. I am fairly anal and when I feel not in control then it upsets my morning sort of. I have a set routine and like to stick to it most of the time. I didn't sleep well last night, had two nightmares, one of which I woke up and my heart was pounding like crazy. My "bad" dreams usually revolve around the husband, kids, or grandkids getting hurt or something last night it was straight out of the "Twilight Zone!" I remember trying to get my best friend to run somewhere with me for protection. There were some kind of planes in the sky that were dropping something that was killing people. Really weird since I never watch sci-fi spooky stuff as it creeps me out. Must be all the weirdo commercials about the new movies coming out.

I am now on the foot of Jack's sock and progressing. I knit about 20-30 rows then put it aside for a bit then pick it back up. The really small needles can make my hands cramp if I am not careful and spread out the knitting on them. The green I bought for the heel and toe looks really good with the color and Jack really likes it. I am still worried if I will have enough yarn for both socks. Wouldn't that be awful to have them almost complete and run out of yarn? I am not spending $25 to buy another hank of the stuff that's for sure.

My little guy's birthday is Sunday so on Saturday they are giving Jackson a surprise pool party at one of the pools there in town. I wish we could go up and be there, but we just can't. It would be a hard trip to leave on Friday after Jack gets off work, drive all night to be at the pool party at 11 AM then turn around and come home on Sunday since Jack can't take any extra time off. I refuse to fly, period, so he will just have to enjoy his presents without Nonny and Granddad this year again.{{{SIGH}}}

Jean: Dick Francis is a British author who passed away a couple years ago (he was in his 90's!) He was a steeplechase jockey in his adult life then took to writing novels about it all when he retired from racing. About 5 years ago, his son Felix started collaberating with him on his books and now Felix writes the books and they are still well written. They are all tied to racing in some way, but not all are about jockeys and the actual racing. The one I am re-reading now is about a builder whose family has pretty much disowned him but he owns stock in the racecourse his family has owned for generations. It is pretty well written. I like the one where the guy is a glass blower and just finished one I re-read where the guy was a jockey who was injured and couldn't race and turned to financial advising. They are all interesting and all murder mysteries of some type.

Maggie: I think you have bought and sold several households in the last 10 years or so with going on the road then staying put then going on the road, etc. Will you stay put in Texas when you retire then? I mean, make a permanent home there not that you would never travel.

Well girls, I have work to do, shower to get, clothes to put away, etc. Hope you have a good Thursday. We have 8 more days and we will be under 100 days until we leave for the cruise! Our little paper chain is finally becoming pretty small too. It only has 15 left on it and we started around this time last year and it was clear to the floor. Faye
[/B]
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #19  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is another beautiful morning in MN. Guys are still catching fish but will be done after lunch. They have to turn the boat in by 4:00 and have a ways to travel. I will pack as much as I can this afternoon. We always eat out the last night here so it will be "clean out the fridge" for lunch. We have breakfast on the road so hope to leave fairly early after showers, etc., in the morning.

"Gma" -- I have a routine also, so know what you mean. Maybe you could plan a long weekend, next year, so you could celebrate Jackson's birthday with him. They grow up so very fast . . . too fast. I hope you have enough yarn to finish the socks.

I am going to check email and then play "roundup" to pack what I can. Have a great day and enjoy!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #20  

Good morning to you all. It is heating up today and beautifully sunny. This is commissary weekend so that should be fun. You know I how love to commissary shop!

I am having one of those days where I feel so tired. I even fell asleep in the recliner this morning for about an hour but didn't seem to help. Guess it will just be one of those days where I need to rest more.

Just took my last hormone pill and threw out the container! Boy am I glad they are finally finished. Now to get my health back on track I hope with no more diahrrea, cramping, etc. It will take a couple weeks maybe even a month then it should definitely all be behind me.

I am making potato soup and yeast rolls for dinner. I know it is a crazy thing to make in this heat, but Jack wanted some potato soup. I used ff evap milk and ff chicken stock and canned cubed new potatoes, a chopped onion, a bit of margarine and flour for the roue to thicken it up. I hate black pepper so Jack has to add it to his bowl and I add no salt since he doesn't eat it and if need be add a bit to my bowl. It is our trade off.

I went to put the dishes away and realized I never started the darn thing so added the few breakfast dishes and started it. I will have to unload it all before I start dinner I suppose.

Jean: Please have a safe trip back home and hopefully you will have excellent weather to drive in. Jack and I have been discussing packing and such for the cruise. Because we are driving instead of flying and breaking the driving up into two days, with two hotel overnight stays, we have to plan on several things, a bag that has clothes to change into on Saturday morning and then Sunday morning, a hygiene bag with stuff in it to use in the hotel, a bag that has a change of clothing for evening dinner on the cruise, meds, etc anything we think we might need in case our bags don't get to our cabin right away, which we are told they don't. What I plan to do is to use one of our old bags to pack for Friday and Saturday and our old hygiene bag to carry stuff into the hotel, then on Sunday morning, transfer my dirty clothing into one of the bags to go on the ship (I am going to have to have the ship launder a couple outfits because I won't have enough to travel back home on) rearrange all the hygiene stuff into my smaller carry on type bag, which will go with our other luggage, and then make sure the bag we carry onto the ship has everything we need just in case we don't get our bags early. It will be interesting to do all this and not screw it up. We will also take some snacks like crackers etc for our cabin. We bought soft drink cards so we can have as much of that on board as we wish without paying. Some people get away with taking cans of soda on board, some of them get it confiscated so I told Jack it wasn't worth hauling because we do have the drink cards. The water has to be safe for drinking as it is used in the dining areas and you can brush your teeth with it and they provide you with ice in your cabin twice a day or as much as you need from the room steward so if we want water we can just drink it with ice from the tap.

Well girls, I need to check on the laundry and see how it is coming along. Have a wonderful weekend. Faye
Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another day which it is a bit overcast with a temp in the high 80ºs with just a 10% chance of rain. However I hear the pitter patter of the water drops on the window facing the lawn out front that is being watered as I type. We can only water lawns here before noon and after 7pm. Time is sure passing swiftly these days for now it is already Friday. I don’t have anything planed this day as of yet. I do know I need to fold some laundry that has been brought up in the basket but that won’t take long. The cat scooted into the bedroom when I got up earlier this day and so I shut the door so he can snooze in peace. He will let me know when he wants out. He has gotten so very big and he hasn’t quit growing for he isn’t even a year old as of yet. I wonder just how big he will get. He stands as tall as Beanie now.

We got some new neighbors that just bought the house across the alley that are a young couple with a small baby and two dogs of the same breed as ours. I haven’t met the mom yet but did meet the dad and baby when I was out back and he came driving down the alley. Seems like a real nice young man that will be a good neighbor to have. Got to be nice folks if they have Shih Tzu dogs like ours. At least they have good taste in animals. I wonder if the guy works in law enforcement for I sure got that impression of him.

Be back later for Will is home now and wants to go out for a bite to eat.

OH joy! Ups was here while we were gone My new stainless coffee mug has arrived. It is cobalt blue and is 2 ½ inches wide and 9 inches at its tallest point. The lid has a lock mechanism so it won’t come open unless you want it to. Plus when the lid is opened it stays back out of the way of your nose ~ doesn’t flop back and whack you. I have my first sf ff latte in it and it sips very well. I know I am going to like just fine ~ until the next better model comes out ~ of course. It is an insulated thermos that works for both hot and cold beverages, made by Zojirushi in Japan, who by the way makes excellent products. I am cleaning my other cup up as I type for I am giving it to a gal that really wants it. I have it soaking in coffee urn cleaner that the gal at the coffee place gave me. I will gift it to my friend since I will no longer be using it and it does have lots of life left in it. I like the feel of this new container for it is straight up and down like one I had time before last that I really liked the feel of. I really like the features of the cups I have had that don’t spill when you turn them upside down. They really seal good and I can carry them in my purse or tote without worry of getting my stuff all wet with spilled coffee.

I don’t have to think of what to make for dinner for Will just called and said he is going to purchase the makings for a meatloaf while he is out and about and to ask if I needed anything at the store. He is out getting the oil changed and the tires rotated on the Jeep for it is time for that to happen. We have found that even with all our running around here out in the country that we actually have what they call “low mileage” for the average driving folks. That is good news for someone wanting to trade a vehicle in but we are not in the market to do that for we still want to keep the Jeep.

DONNA FAYE That is so neat that your meds will be over with and your body can get back to exact. What a joyous occasion for sure. Celebrate by buying yourself something special of a non food product. We both like black pepper ground freshly in its container but since you don't care for it it is best to leave it out and let Jack add what he wants. And you can add what ever salt to your taste. Life is all about give and take when getting along. There are things that Will is alergic to that I leave out and put in my portion. For awhile he couldn't eat lemon pepper for it made his mouth itch but whatever was going on with him has passed for we use it a lot in our cooking. I use a lot of red pepper flakes that he can't handle since he had his gall bladder removed. That didn't effect me that way when I had mine out and I love my red pepper flakes.

JEAN Boy your time at the lake sure went by fast for me. Did it pass quickly for you? Have a nice easy trip back home. Were you anywhere around Nisswa while there? St Cloud isn’t too far from there. There are so many lakes around there to go to and we lived on Gull Lake. Our favorite restaurant for a high-fall-lutin dinner was on a road named Gull Dam Road. Follow that road to the dam.

SUSAN Hope all is well with you and your kitty.

Type at y’all later ~

Last edited by Maggie; 06-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #22  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We are home once again. Unpacking seems to take longer than packing for some reason. I have a load in the washer and more ready to go. Left over groceries are put away and the fish are in the freezer. Ernie was glad to see us but thinks we smell a little strange . . . like dog.

Maggie, it is nice to have "nice" neighbors. I hope you get to know and enjoy them. I looked Nisswa up on my iPad but the screen is too small. We were close to St. Cloud; we follow #71 north to Willmar then east on #23 to Richmond which is a wide spot in the road west of SC. I have heard of Gull Lake. My dad's parents and grandparents were avid MN fishermen/women. It was a fast week and think we plan to return to the same place next year, with my stepfamily.

I need to keep moving. It was an early morning today. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We just got in from running errands and yard sailing. Will found one of those bucket inserts that has lots of pockets to hold tools for a quarter and I got a very soft wool large scarf in fall colors that will look great with one of my outfits for a quarter that I have seen in catalogues for $60 and more. Probably someone got it for a present and never wore it for it is in brand new condition. We also got one of those new diamond flecked fry pans that is totally non stick which says you don’t have to use any type of oil with it that they are still advertizing on TV. It will be great to put in with our camping gear for it will certainly be easy cleanup. It is a small enough pan that will fit nicely on our camp stove.

JEAN Welcome home without any problems. Someday I hope to revisit MN once again for there is some beautiful places there and I do want to go to the upper state waters and get me a moose. But I may just have to settle for deer in Texas if this economy doesn’t improve. Isn’t that the way of it that it is always harder to unpack then to pack for a vacation. I have always found that to be the case. That is one reason I am gathering up kitchen stuff to just stay in the tent trailer that we plan to get. That makes it so much easier to just have to load your personal things and fresh food and water. When we had one before I put my utensils and dishes in plastic bags to keep them clean so they were ready to use.

Hope all is well with the rest of you Magnolias ~ type at y’all later ~
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #24  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is sunny and warming up for a hot afternoon. We have 1 church service at 9:30 so could sleep a little later. There's nothing as good as my own bed! The church was fairly full except only 1 child and 1 baby. I have a pile of newspapers to sort through; I stopped one but the guy delivered it anyway. Makes me nuts! I hate to call because a computer answers the phone and it takes forever to get to a real person.

Hope everyone has a nice day doing something you enjoy. Bob is grilling steaks and I need to make a salad.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #25  

Good evening girls. It has been a crazy day here today and I forgot to even come in here and post this morning. I was bent on finishing jack's sock, which I did, but paid no attention to anything else. Jack even fixed supper so I could sew up the toe and finish it.

Well, won't be going to the dr this week. The idiots at my family practice never sent the referral into tricare so they haven't processed one for Dr Wheat so, no referral no surgical appt. Since they were going to release me anyway and it was my request for one more appt, I am not going to mess with rescheduling. I am just going to have my regular dr keep checking my abdomen when I go in to see her to make sure I am not getting another hernia from the hernia surgery! Jack has to go to the doctor on Wednesday though he is only going to leave work about an hour early so he doesn't mess up his bonus day. We need everything we can get so we have enough time for our vacation. He will have a couple extra days, but we don't want to mess that up just in case.

Today was Jackson's 5th birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!! They went to the amusement park, Cedar Point in Ohio today.

Jean: Glad you got home safe and sound. The worst thing about coming home from a trip is the darn laundry and not coming home to a clean house. Stresses me out if I feel I have to hurry around and clean house right away while trying to get laundry all done up and put away. Just take it easy and get it done as you can. It is sad more young people don't want to go to church, but in a way I can understand it. The powers that be have shown to be so hypocritical that they figure why go. I am not saying all ministers and church boards are like that, I am just saying so many hit the news stealing or being adulterous, one pastor here in the area tried to run his wife down with his Bentley because he had been away at a conference and came home and thought she had driven it. Frankly, why does a preacher own a Bentley is my question? This is of course a black preacher in an area where his parishoners can't afford their rent yet he drives around in a darn Bentley and then tries to kill his estranged wife with it. Sad!!

Maggie: We bought these can holders last year to take to Branson and I just love the darn things. They keep you can cold until you finished with the contents instead of it getting hot right away. I am sure that is what your cup does too.

Well, now that I am done with these pills I am hoping the feeding frenzy I felt most of the time will come to an end. I am just thankful I could hold it together as well as I did. I want to get at least 30 lbs off before we leave so hopefully I will have no more ravenous feelings.

Have a good evening and talk to you tomorrow!!! Faye
(won't let me do color or font size tonight!)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #26  

Good morning. Just a quick peek in to let you know all is well at our house. I am going to work on Alicia's other sock today and clean the downstairs. I am bone tired as Fortune kept me up all night for some reason. He just wouldn't lay down and sleep. He would hop around and lay for 5 minutes then move, then stay still then move and on and on until 3 AM when I finally got him into the recliner with me and had him in the crook of my right arm and he went to sleep. Of course, two hours later Jack is up and downstairs turning on all the lights so I gave it up.

Tonight is Faye's stuff with rice. Jack chopped me up an onion yesterday so that is one job I don't have to do to make it. I am going to have cereal for breakfast this morning I think. We bought 4 boxes at the commissary. Jack said people would think we have a bunch of kids and I said, nah, we don't have sugary stuff. We do have one. He loves the frost mini wheats.

I ordered a ton of earrings and a couple bracelets for the trip online last night. The order went through paypal and I got no confirm so I hope it isn't a problem. I emailed the company and told them if I don't have a confirm in 48 hours I will register a dispute with paypal and cancel. It was kind of weird actually, but the site was safe to use and since they didn't take payment directly, my credit card is ok. It went through my paypal account. So we shall see. I bought these adorable giraffe head stud earrings. Have no idea what I will wear them with, but they were so cute and on clearance I couldn't pass them up.

Well gals, you have a wonderful start to your week. I am off to hunt up some breakfast and get things rolling this morning. Have a good one! faye
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #27  

Time for a new thread! Please go to Steel Magnolias #17.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote