Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:26 PM   #1  

Default induction and yogurt

hello everyone. i have a question regarding yogurt and induction. i am new to atkins, i started induction last monday, i think i am in ketosis because i finally lost 3 pds. i love the blue bunny sf strawberry yogurt. can i have this and not go out of ketosis? i would appreciate any input!!! thanks mel
Old 08-25-2003, 12:43 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Sorry...yogurt is not allowed in induction....not on the "acceptable foods" list.....I think it is allowed later in OWL, on one of the "rungs" once you start increasing your carbs!

Good luck!

Froufy
Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 PM   #3  

yougrt is really not a good low carb food period. The full fat ones contain too many carbs and sugars. The low fat ones contain aids like aspartamine. The low sugars ones contain suagars that are not safe for maintaing ketosis.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:49 PM   #4  
Head Princess

DWAMEL99

Please please do your research when starting your diet! The atkins website has all the information to make safe, educated decisions about what you're putting into your body. Better yet, invest the $6.00 it costs to get the book. There are so many people who think they're doing this correctly who are actually doing damage to themselves for lack of the little bit of extra effort.

Safe and happy dieting!!!
Old 10-18-2003, 02:11 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Here is an article from Atkins about not eating yogurt until you get to lifetime maintenance:

http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/2/20-495871.html

However, here is an article that stands up for yogurt, but they are specific about types, so if you decide to go this route, please be careful to choose the right kind:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html
Old 10-18-2003, 08:54 PM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

The definitive answer to the "YOGURT DILEMMA"!

I sent the following to the Atkins Center:
"I have heard different opinions on whether or not yogurt is allowed on the Atkins diet, what kind is allowed and how to count the carbs (see http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html).

Some Atkins followers on several forums indicate that eating whole milk yogurt has definitely helped in their weight loss.

Just wondering what your opinion is on this...can we eat yogurt? Is it true about the "eating" of lactose so in fact carb counts are lower than indicated? Any suggestions on the best kind of yogurt to eat?"

And they replied:

Unfortunately, that is not true. The cultures break down lactose to glucose and galactose which allow those who are lactose intolerant to eat yogurt without discomfort. However, the full amount of sugar is still available. Yogurt along with most dairy products contain a relatively large amount of carbs. Cheese is used because the portion consumed is usually controlled. However, if one eats too much cheese they will exceed their carb levels.
Having said that about the carb count, we do not want to ignore the beneficial effect that the probiotics (beneficial bacteria) have on health. This can be obtained with a probiotic supplement . Our colon restoration formula is a good way to get these friendly bacteria without the carbs. If you really want to eat yogurt, you should select regular unflavored plain yogurt and control your portion size. You should include the carb count in your total daily intake and budget for it.

--------------------------
So there you have it....eat your yogurt (not on induction tho) and make sure to count ALL the carbs!

Froufy
Closed Thread