PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/208/130

Height: 5'4

Default New Here but not to PCOS

Good Morning!
I have been looking through threads and finally decided to post one myself! I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2008, and it is the weirdest reaction that a dr can have, like they don't really believe it themselves but can't really classify it as something else. Then came the awkward umm well you know if you lose weight it'll help the symptoms conversation lol. But that was about it no other real help or advice for it. But I have seen improvements when I do lose weight so I know that is the route to go.. so I'm here I have been doing Billy Blanks PT 24/7 and starting to eat right slowly. My biggest issue is when I don't see results in 2 weeks I get so discouraged I quit so getting through that and just taking it day by day is my first goal! Any helpful advice or tips would be great!!
anb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #2  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!!

It's no easy task for anyone with PCOS to lose weight. We have to work extra hard and count each calorie. At least, I do.

All I can suggest is try to take things one day at a time. You may also want to get a referral for a endocrinologist or someone who knows more about PCOS. Good luck.
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Welcome here!

If you can change your mindset about this -- it's not just about weight loss, but health -- you might find you stick to it a lot longer.

That's what I try to do.... I eat healthy and exercise not only to lose weight, but because it keeps the diabetes at bay and keeps my cycles regular (and none of the 2ndary symptoms of PCOS around!)...

Good luck!!!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I agree -- work on your mindset. PCOS has no cure. You are a chronic patient. There will NEVER be an end. There is only management. If you clock in at the end of the day having done your best with your diet, workouts,emotional needs, etc -- you are WINNING.

Don't measure just your body bucket progress in "weight lost."

Think about ALL of you.

Progress with stress, sleep, everything. You are mind, body, heart, and soul.

Tend to all the buckets. Don't reduce your whole self or your whole life to a number a scale when the scale can't tell if you are up a pound because you just drank a bottle of ZERO CALORIE water and haven't yet taken a pee! That's not real weight gain!

Some studies suggests the root of the prob is in chromosome 19. There's some initial articles online but it's the tip of the iceberg still. That's just one article.

Have you cruised through the links?

PCOS patients present in at least 5 ways -- check it out.

Here's the inciid PCOS FAQ. It tells you more about labs and things.

Mary's PCOS faq suggests lower carb for diet.

Nutrition Summary from Dietitian's Guide

Hormone Balance suggestions

Natural Solutions book can largely be read at google books.

It's going to largely be up to you, but low GI, whole foods, and lower carb doesn't hurt. 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat is a common enough split.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-03-2012 at 11:55 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/208/130

Height: 5'4

Thank you all for the advice and tips!! Good luck to each of you in losing weight and being healthier and happier!
anb83 is offline   Reply With Quote