Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A good enough eating plan day, CREDIT moi. It was excellent until an early evening event where I expected to enjoy modest veggie snacks before we went out to dinner. Had the cold, grilled veggies, as planned, but unfortunately, the abundant table included baked brie. Baked brie got to me. At least I had the good sense to declare eating done for the day and to skip dinner. This morning scale jiggle showed down a pound when I expected to be punished by a five pound gain. A good reminder to me that scale readings don't show my exaggerated mental state.

Exercise was walking to continue to break in my new sandals, CREDIT moi. Walking is usually done with tennis shoes, walking shoes, or boots. But I've gotta be sure that these new sandals don't cause blisters under stress if they're to be my vacation daily riders this summer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Bon Voyage!!! Eireann go Brach !!! ("Ireland forever", for those few non-Gaelic speakers among us.)

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Double Ouch. Sending healing thoughts to your DH's leg surgery today, and sanity thoughts to you as you juggle it all. Kudos for finding healthy food at a hospital.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for a shift into focused and willing. Kudos for being aware.

maryann - Welcome to summer vacation. Thanks for the reminder, "Life becomes more vivid as I rely on my other senses rather than taste to satisfy me."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Special Advice for Entertaining at Home
Here are some ideas for you to consider:
. . .
Request help. Ask a friend or family member who is coming to your house to arrive early to help you prepare and set out food. Ask someone else to stay late to help you put away extra food and clean up. Be extra careful to resist rebound desire after the party. It's not worth it to overeat once everyone has left.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 153.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I declare yesterday a WIN. I wrote down what I ate, varied from it by afternoon but emulated BBE's example and called it a day after the last unplanned snack. I saw a pound weight loss. Like BBE, I am reminded that the scale does not judge what I want to eat, but what I am willing to resist.

I am on retro Day 4. I downloaded the weightless journal available on the Beck Diet Solution Website. Something new to help keep my energy high. I plan to check in morning and night with daily to-dos. Yesterday was an informative exercise in sitting while I eat. I didn't realize how much I have strayed from that practice. I have an advantage card that sums up the situation "If I do not sit while I eat I will gain back all the weight I have lost." that is the bottom-line.

Lexxiss: I am so sorry to hear about your husband. You are doing so well amid the chaos.

I changed my ticker for the new month. Unfortunately it is a pound higher. I am treating it as information.

Last edited by maryann; 06-01-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up When the going gets tough the tough get going

Hi Coaches!

This morning I juiced and went to the pool. Now I'm waiting to take DH to surgery. He was sleeping so I took myself to lunch*credit* someplace healthy*credit*credit*. My companion was my BDS book and a blank sheet of paper which I filled with ideas for "Week 1"
Week 1-Take Time to Be Healthy
My mantra "This________is not about me" I anticipate pain, grumpy, agitation and a few other emotions. I will probably feel unappreciated.
Solution:
~eat healthy
~plan ahead
Ideas:
I'm going to gut the freezer and make some misc soups. Then I'm going to stock it with frozen veggies and healthy proteins. I'll get my big salad in the frig then be set for quick dinners.

Anyway, I hear a grumble from the bedroom and my free time comes to an end. I'm actually seeing this as an opportunity to get really focused on my food choices as I wait for DH to heal. No more big projects in the works....everything else on hold.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hello folks/coaches/diet buddies/friends....

Yesterday was a very focused day. I stayed with my plan until right before I went to bed. Some stress tripped me up. As Dr. Beck says.... we shouldn't just focus on what we didn't do.... but, what we did do. (Just learn from it all)

Credits:
Planned/measured/logged food
lots of water
stretches & strengthening
jouirnal Beckisms and thoughts
ate seated mostly
no seconds
left a bite
ate a little slower
down and up... weight up and down a pound or so - today it's lower than my ticker weight. Wednesday is my 'official' weigh day.

I must work on reading the Book and my cards.

Tonight neighbors are coming over for a campfire. Smores are on the menu. I have PLANNED one for myself. It's a slippery slope. But, I also plan to sent some the extra fixin's.

The garden paths are almost done. DH says I should wait until the grass grows around them more.... before going fulfledged into walking on them.

blillbe - good job on revamping dinner. You said: A good reminder to me that scale readings don't show my exaggerated mental state.That goes either way, for sure.

MaryAnn - I agree about switching it up a bit... to make the things seem fresh.

Lexxiss/debbie
- I am so so sorry to hear of your DH's knee injury. Sending healing thoughts to him. And a hug to you. Credit for making some good choices and that you are bringing your Beck things to work on!

Have a great evening.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #6  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation losing ground

Hey Coaches

I've started each day semi-dedicated (I'm being honest here) to my foodplan but I all-too-easily and willingly toss them aside to eat eat eat. For all my eating I pretty much assure myself a weight not below 255 and not above, except for a day or two, 260. I've been super-tense working on hise two grant proposals which I successfully dropped off with 3 minutes to spare. BUT I have eaten my way through the process of teasing them into existence all week long. Bad old work habits.

DH is off on a camping trip this weekend with co-workers. It's a miserable start to the weekend for sure. Very high winds. About 55F/15C and rain rain rain. Tomorrow the weather icon is every weather: cloudy sunny rainy lightning. I have to load and unload the market stuff myself tonight and tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon. I feel like calling in sick at the market but I probably won't.

He did put in for some summer holidays finally. The last two weeks of July so he got primetime holidays. We have no plans.

Anyway I'll just keep getting back on track when I go off. Eventually it will stick again. Like others here, I too need to freshen up my whole foodplan and outlook. And as always you guys inspire me. Thanks.

Beverlyjoy I like seeing your Beck habits list growing. I know you've had your on and off days lately too and it's great to see you get yourself back into the swing of things. *credit* for your willingness to keep moving forward.

Lexxiss Hello Friend. Sorry this extra crisis has landed in your lap but boy you sure seem all set to navigate whatever it is that life throws at you. It is extremely credit&kudos worthy. You make me realize how badly I either need to find my beck book or get a new one.

maryann Credit for all your positive actions and thanks for the heads up about the weightloss journal on the Beck site. I'm going to go check it out. Kudos also for getting through the emotions of the end of term and beginning of the summer feelings.

BillBlueEyesKudos for buying sandals you need to continue to walk in to break in. Smart. This is strategy that can be applied to all seasons: winter boots, rain galoshes, dressyish shoes etc. Perhaps this is your diet book BBE! Discomfortably Thinner or something like that. Kudos for knowing when to say when re: brie and the rest of the day's eating. Excellent.

Must go--have to get cat food or the cats will bother me all night.

TGIF.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/197.6/128

Height: 5'4"

Hello everyone. I'm a new chickie. Really enjoying all the support and encouragement on this web site. My daughter has used the Beck Solution to help her lose weight. I ordered and copy and have just received it. I'm on chapter 3. This approach really makes a lot of sense to me and I am excited to finish reading the book. One of the things that really stood out to me so far was "every calorie counts". That should be obvious, but it is amazing the games we can play with ourselves thinking something doesn't really count. Every calorie counts is my new mantra.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Melody (melodyjoy)

Melody (melodyjoy)

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-02-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good eating day, CREDIT moi. Yesterday was National Donut Day which meant a FREE donut at every Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' Donuts in my area. And I had . . . NONE. It was easy, provided that I didn't enter any of those dens of iniquity, but would have been a challenge if I wandered in and wafted the smells for a nano-second.

Exercise was gym, CREDIT moi, and several good walks in my new sandals. I don't walk as fast in sandals - just absorb the notion of leisure from the foot up.

onebyone – A scheduled vacation time is a good start - now you know you gotta plan something. Major Kudos for getting those two grant applications in on time.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Hope your DH's surgery went well yesterday, and he's home and recovering. Big Kudos for facing tough with tough instead of folding or whining.

Beverlyjoy – I'm grateful that smores have never been a major draw for me - perhaps you have to have a girl scout childhood for that. Neat that you plan ahead to have exactly one.

maryann - Yep, no scale owns us, "I am treating it as information." Kudos for a WIN day.

Melody (melodyjoy) – What a great mantra, "Every calorie counts" - we do seem to miss that as we imagine that our gut knows about the denial in our brains.

Neat that your DD is already a role model for you so that you know that the Beck approach works. Are you reading the green book or the pink book? Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Special Advice for Entertaining at Home
Here are some ideas for you to consider:
. . .
Take time to eat properly. Sometimes hosts get so busy that they pick at food all night instead of having a proper meal. Make sure to sit down, eat slowly, and enjoy every bite.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 153.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-02-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #10  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Morning

BillBlueEyes: Yes, hubby built it himself. If was on our front deck and he moved it to the back yard, it is so peaceful, not overlooking a lake (that would be AWESOME!), but nice and quiet, well except for the rooster when we are out there in the morning! But we really are enjoying it.

Eating is ok, could be better, but such is life, one day is up and another down, just like the scale. This week I am fasting from the scale everyday and not weighing in until next Saturday!

Ok, breakfast, church and then work! Have a blessed day all.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Smile Garden is in

Hi Coaches,

I'm back again ! I got super busy getting the garden in, and also we planted grass & laid some sod. Watering and planting have consumed so much time.

My weight hasn't been going down even though I'm getting back into all my Beck skills. I decided to dig deeper into the skills, as well as increasing the level of nutrition tracking. I do best when I do a full nutritional breakdown of foods and recipes, including the grams of fat. My diet had slipped to a higher fat version since I slacked up and only counted straight calories. I hope to see movement downward again soon.

I started listening to the Beck pink book on CD and taking lots of notes. It has helped me think Beck thoughts throughout the day more. I'm listening more closely for sabotaging thoughts now.

It is nice to check in with all of you. The day-to-day words you share mean a lot to lurkers, so thanks.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #12  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post plus ηa change, plus c'est la mκme chose

Bonjour Coaches

I want to thank maryann for the mention of the worksheets at the Beck site. http://www.beckdietsolution.com/cbt-worksheets/ Not only did I print off the whole (45 day) daily worksheets to begin again (yes I am beginning again), but I also printed 4 copies of the advantages to weightloss sheet so I can always have one at hand/in purse/on wall/beside bed as well as 2 copies of the distractions activities chart. I need to really arm myself to get past this mental plateau and resistance that I find myself dealing with. I've got to move forward now or I will move the scale up just to stop cycling through the same 5-8lbs.

I have to say ... I skype with my sister almost daily and these days when I see myself in the tiny screen on the monitor, I have these shadows and "jowliness" around my mouth and lower jaw that wasn't there before. I think the physical transition stages are scary to me. It's extremely irrational to me. Like I know my looks will cahnge from 290+ to 250+ and on down the scale, but actually dealing with the changes is scary as I have no idea and no control really over how I will look--how my shape changes--if or when this jowliness will leave/get better/get worse. These are all matters of acceptance and self-acceptance and process. I do think the feeling this is stirring up is part of the reason I am stalling out at this weight. I *know* I am entering territory I just haven't been in in 9 years, and only briefly then. Previous to that it was about 10-15 years that I was at that weight. Not much experience with it and then toss in the aging factor and I know for sure I won't see an age 30 face staring back at me when I am almost 50.

wow. does that make me feel sad right now. holy cow. I REALLY have to get a handle on getting this weight off. Time is going by so fast.

OK enough of this public moaning and groaning.

THE BENEFITS OUTWEIGH EVERYTHING I HAVE TO DO TO GET THERE.

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches... quick check in. GREAT day yesterday.... until right before bed.
DH was eating the smore ingredients. (Bad weather has postoned the campfire until tonight.) I started fixating on chocolate & graham crackers and gave into it right before bed. I must learn that just because DH eat something.... doesn't mean I get to have it too. As soon as the campfire is over.... the leftover graham crackers, marshmellos, and chocolate will GO away.

He just came home with candy from the Speedway. Here we go... I must learn to live with it around and NOT eat it. I've gone down this road for years. Keeping the environment 'easy' is what I need to strive for. Always a process.

Yesterday I took over twenty minutes eating my dinner - tasted each bite, put my fork down, and took a few deep breathes before I began. Credit! I got on the scale this morning and it was down a pinch. YAY

Have a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-02-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #14  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
Hi coaches... . I must learn that just because DH eat something.... doesn't mean I get to have it too.
I understand!! I have the same problem!!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Thanks for all the kind wishes. DH's surgery went well and we got him over the divide and to our home near Denver. The surgery was postponed 3 hours and my choice became fast food or revisiting the hunger experiment. I know I can live without food when I'm hungry (thx BDS)but last night did not seem an appropriate time to just not eat. I made a "better choice" at taco bell. Good thing, as we didn't arrive home until after midnight and I had to be to work at 530 am.

Today was a healthy day yet I did not resist and finished DH's pancake/egg lunch. He's still eating light and I need to remember it's not "my job" to finish his food. credit for resisting all tastes at work today.

BBE, glad I missed natl donut day. lol Kudos for the standdown! I'm visualizing your new sandals as I am wearing my new Dansko clogs, which made my feet feel better after work. It's my hope they will become my summer work shoe.

MelodyJoy, welcome! Glad you are joining us and that you've already found a mantra.

onebyone, great job downloading all the worksheets! They really help.

Beverlyjoy, a powerful statement regarding your DH's food. It is hard. credit for willingness!

CatholicCajun, kudos for checking in amidst a busy life.

MaryAnn, I like your new advantage card...still remembering (from you) that it is much easier to take action now than in 10 or 20 pounds.

Woodland, nice to hear from you and great that you are "digging deeper".

Ok, better check up on my patient.
Closed Thread