Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone else doing a slow and steady approach?

Hi all- I'm new to the forums and wondering if anyone else is doing this kind of without a plan. Well, I do have a plan, but it is all self-developed instead of following a diet plan. I want to make sure that the changes I make are lasting, so I don't want to be too limiting, especially at first. I set a goal weight of 130 because that was my weight at my fittest, but that was 15 years ago, so that may change.

As far as diet goes, I have been tracking my calories and nutrients at choosemyplate.gov, which I really love. I am focusing on learning the right portions and making healthier choices. My plan has me at 2200 calories, but I am staying below 2000. I don't even want to think about the number of calories I was taking in before I started keeping track- yikes!

I have made a workout schedule for myself that includes swimming, cardio, and I am doing a strength training routine at home-- I don't feel comfortable enough yet at the gym to lift there. I am taking it pretty slow with exercise-- I am pushing myself, but I need to realize that I am pretty out of shape and I have to build up. Very frustrating. However...in only a week I feel great and I have noticed small changes in my muscles. And I have recovered from my initial soreness!

Anyway, is anyone else having success with this kind of no-plan-plan? Would love to hear from you!
jojoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #2  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Yep. I've had great success with my plan. I count calories, and eat whole-r less processed foods. I watch my portions. I work out every day, too.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/140

Height: 5'8

Not on purpose, but that's the way it's working out haha. I count calories also and work out daily. I am keeping my calories below 1300 a day. I do want to lose weight quickly, but I hear if you go slow it will stay off. I don't follow any crazy exercise plans or anything. I am pretty outdoorsy so I just like to have fun with workouts and be outside

If I get impatient with the calorie counting I will go to cutting out carbs, which will result in fast weight loss, but also fast weight gain if I eat carbs again.
era28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

Losing more than 2 pounds a week is not recommended. I've always taken the slow and steady approach, and it's always worked well for me. I was happily maintaining (with minor bumps in the road) when I got pregnant, and now that I'm losing the baby weight I'm doing it the way that worked the first time... a pound or two a week.

It's not stopping, that's the trick!
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #5  

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I have never really tried to lose weight before. For a while, I would just drop 10# or so every few years not really trying, and then gain it back- and then some- over the course of the next year or two. But now that I'm in my 30's, I don't think that cycle is going to be reliable anymore. Plus, I gained about 20# in 4 months since I quit smoking:-0

Katelee, I'm doing the whole-er foods thing, too. I joined a CSA in my neighborhood, and I am loving it!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Jojo,
There's also a thread called "Slow Dance with a Stranger" on the Forum. It's been around awhile, so you may have to do a search for it - but it's pretty popular. There's lots of us trying to take it slow, either because that's how our bodies are or because we don't want boomerang weight.

Good luck and enjoy the site!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #7  

Thanks, Mountain- that's a great thread!

Thunda, you are so right about not stopping-- right now my body is behind my mind...I hope my mind is still in a good place once my body starts to catch up! I saw in someone's signature on here that it's all about commitment- not motivation. That's great- I'm going to keep that in mind.

It's hard to find a balance between learning how to live a new way and not overthinking the whole thing...I have to remember to be patient with myself.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i am definitely going slow...partly because i want changes that i can live with, and partly because my body just loses slow...it loses faster on super low-carb but i can't live like that forever...

its taken me a year and 3 months to lose 40 pounds but that's more than i've ever lost before and ive been keeping it off really well
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

There is a Calorie Counting forum which is pretty much for people like us who aren't on WW, Ideal Protein, Atkins, Dukan, South Beach, etc etc etc.

Confidentially (to you and the other thousand people on this board) I think Calorie Counting is the easiest. Very difficult to screw up unless you consistently eat more calories than you should.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/145/120

Height: 5ft4in

I am also losing weight very slowly..last year this time I was 40 pounds heavier! I am also nursing my youngest so did not want to have any bad effect on him or on my body. I also am a stress eater.. So over the last year have had a rollercoster ride as far as weight change is concerned!
But in all I follow one rule, I really start working hard anytime my weight is up 5 pounds from my lowest recorded weight.
I usually do calorie counting and around 45min to 1 he exercise every day. I have started running now. I try different things.. Bought a bunch of Jillian Michaels dvds.
Sometimes the scale does. Ot seem to move for a long time.. I just keep counting my calories and eventually it does!!
Good luck with ur weight loss!!
Loseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #11  

Seagirl, it must have been you with that fantastic quote- commitment not motivation. I love it.

Loseit, wtg on 40 pounds! That's awesome!

Just finished my first week of food tracking and workouts- and I lost my first pound!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #12  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Way to go on your first pound, jojoland!

I'm taking it slow too. I'm not counting calories, I'm just choosing healthy food and paying more attention to my hunger signals (only eating until I am satisfied, not stuffed). I have to make an exercise plan - that's going to be hard for me because I don't have much energy since I have gained a lot of weight.

I definitely think slow and steady is the best way to go. It's hard for me to be patient - I wish the weight would just fall off! But it's supposed to be healthier to lose the weight slowly.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #13  
Get Me Back Down to 130s

S/C/G: 191/188.6/125

Not purposely
losingweightforgood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/201/170

Height: 5'9"

I think it's such a better way to lose IMHO
Acknowledge that you're going to have screw ups, days where you eat more than you should, days where you don't feel like logging in or you feel like you want something sweet to get you through the day. The most important thing is stay with the program and keep them modifications that you've made in place.
I recently started coaching again for the spring and I quit smoking. I knew that it was going to be tough to keep losing at the same pace I was losing before so I just focused on maintaining and three months later I'm only up 2 pounds and now the coaching is over I'm looking forward to getting back into losing week after week. :-) And oh yeah and I still haven't smoked :-)
JM14534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #15  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

I am losing weight as fast or as slow as my body wants to lose weight. Once in a while I get weeks where I lose 5-8 pounds, others where I lose less than a pound. My main goal is that the weight comes off overall. It took me almost 15 years to gain over 120 pounds, I figure taking 2-3 years to get it off and then some won't be too bad.
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote