South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 02:03 PM   #1  

Default Startin Sb tomm any tips?

Well i got the book , and gonna go to the store today. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for a beginner?? Thanks
Old 08-22-2003, 02:15 PM   #2  
Imagine...

I would say my biggest problem was planning. Make sure to plan your meals. When you have nothing planned it is so easy to grab something that you shouldn't be eating.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:58 PM   #3  

I'm only in my first week of phase 1- but I've already lost 4 pounds!!! WHOA! My biggest issue this week was food prep, there is ALOT of chopping, dicing, slicing to be prepared for the week!!! I would recommend doing it all on the weekend, then you will have your ingredients for salads, omelets etc. handy and easy to access!!! GOOD LUCK-
Old 08-23-2003, 06:37 AM   #4  
Mous

Tips

Weigh at the same time, same clothes ONCE a week.
Plan and keep a food/feeling diary.
Walk, use the stairs, park further away from store doors.
Drink water.
Get rest.
Be active.
Eat till full and make sure you eat snacks.
Throw out the word diet and use healthy life plan.
Use the 3 bite rule.
Leave one bite on your plate.
Use smaller plates.
Post and be honest.
Find a "diet" buddy.
Bake, broil or boil.
BE HAPPY

Make sure you come and post or read our daily thread.

Good Luck

Lady Windsong
Old 08-23-2003, 09:40 AM   #5  

Default SBD Newtimer???

Hi Everyone...

Last week was the first I heard of this program. I am a WW lifetimer (but have not been going back like I should), but have always been hungry on their program. But I must admit I always ate and lost 30 pounds-- 10 of which I put one again. I love my fruits and pasta and I really think I am going to miss this at the beginning on the SBD.

I am going to go out today to find the book and then make my shopping list. I am hoping the book will give you ideas for snacking at my desk at work. We have a weight loss program going on at work....You can do what ever you want and they weigh you in each week and publish the results weekly. We share recipes and thoughts, just don't pay like WW. ;-) So the support is certainly there. We get recipes and information on weight loss and maintaining it.

So If anyone has any advise, please feel free to contact me.

Hey, my 40 High School reunion is in November so I want to lose about 15 pounds..... AND LOOK GOOD. if you know what I mean. ;-)

I know we can do it!!!!

Old 08-23-2003, 11:39 AM   #6  

The most important thing is planning, planning, planning.

Try to make most of your lunches on the weekends and freeze them.

Learn to love celery.

Make sure you a) drink enough water (and then drink more) and b) eat enough so that you're not hungry.

And like Lady says, try to think of this as a way of life (WOL) rather than a diet. It really does become a way of life ... I haven't eaten a slice of bread or had a cup of caffeinated coffee in two months.

Check in on the daily, Lady always starts the thread with a sweet, inspirational message.

Best of luck!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 12:03 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Best of luck but rely on the good advice from the other Beach Beauties.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:24 PM   #8  

Yes, I just bought the book and am making my shopping list out. Celery and peanut butter would make a good snack.

What kind of lunches do you enjoy? Snacks?

Thanks for all of your support. Arlene (hoping to be a thinner Arlene)
Old 08-23-2003, 01:27 PM   #9  
Imagine...

I usually always have a salad of some kind for lunch. For snacks I have veggies, nsa fudgesicles, sf jello, nuts, string cheese.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:17 PM   #10  

This is going to feel quite different with cheese, nuts coming into the picture. I have always had an apple, peach, etc...for a snack at work.

The riccota desserts in the book sound good, especially since I love cheesecake.

I am going to give it a good try. I am hoping my cholesterol comes down.

Thanks. Arlene
Old 08-23-2003, 07:38 PM   #11  

Lovethat:

Usually on Sundays I'll cook a few days worth of lunches and freeze them .... chicken stir fry, shrimp w garlic spinach saute ... if I can't find the time on the weekend I make extra of whatever I'm having for dinner for the next days lunch. I have a salad probably once a week at lunch ...

As for snacks at work when I was on Phase I, I'd usually have a low fat cottage cheese (maybe with some cinnamon and 1/2 packet of equal) for a snack around 10:00, then a sugar free jello for a mid afternoon around 3 or 3:30. Or the Laughing Cow with celery in the afternoon. (Now that I've moved into Phase II I can have an apple or yogurt .... hurray!!! ... for my mid morning snack.)

I can't quite stomach the ricotta ... tried it once and no matter how much I may enjoy cheesecake it's just a totally different taste/texture (and REAL cheesecake is made with cream cheese) ... so if I'm going to have dessert it's usually a fat free no sugar added fudgesicle ...
Old 08-24-2003, 09:15 AM   #12  

HI Nik

I did go shopping yesterday to get foods in. I bought some small cans of tuna and thought I'd put them on a salad. I am making a fresh turkey breast today on the grill...so that should keep me for awhile. I am going to make that riccota cheesecake dessert, just to see what it is like. I do like my coffee and I bought some decaf.... I put FF Evap milk in it today..Not great.. Can I use the Carnation Coffee Mate???? I have been used to light cream for my coffee. And believe me light cream is not how I put my weight on. ;-(

I bought a lot of fresh veggies too and plan to put them on the grill today with some olive oil and spices... That should keep me too.

This morning I had 2 eggs with 2 pieces of Canadian bacon and V8 juice. That was fine and I could do that every day... Perhaps add some veggies to the eggs.... Breakfast is never my problem.

When you had the cottage cheese for a snack, did you limit yourself to 1/2 cup?

When you were on Phase 1 did you ever eat anything after dinner? Can you squeeze in a SF fudgicle????? OH, I NEED MY CHOCOLATE. LOL.

Keep in touch... Arlene
Old 08-24-2003, 12:01 PM   #13  

Hey Lovethat:

Don't have much time ... of to a Christening in an hour and haven't even showered yet ...

I use the Carnation fat fee hazelnut in my coffee ... gives it some thickness like I'm using cream and it's sweet so I don't need sugar ... they have Vanilla fat free too ... try using one of the flavored fat free creamers ... just use the liquid not the powder (powder has trans fats)

I usually buy the Breakstone little 4 pack of cottage cheese ... not sure if it's half a cup ... think it may be less ... but I wouldn't worry about portion size with cottage cheese (just buy the low fat one) ...

Phase I if I needed something it would be a fudgesicle or sugar free fat free jello after dinner ... but I eat dinner late ... usually around 8:00 pm so I didn't often need anything.

Will post later ...
Old 08-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Lovethat: I really like the ricotta chocolate-mocca dessert. I didn't care for the others as much. but what helped me was to add another 1/2 tsp of cocoa, another pkt. of splenda, and I whizzed it smooth in my little food processor. When I first made it didn't like the texture. Processing it makes it like a smooth pudding. I also add about 1'2 tsp of brandy extract. That gives it a little extra flavor. That is because I didn't have the espresso powder. good luck. You can do it. Ann
Old 08-24-2003, 03:15 PM   #15  

Thanks Girls. I did taste the lemon ricotta dessert after I made it and it had a grainy consistancy to it, but I am going to have it tonight for dessert. But that is a great idea to put it in the processor.

As for the cream in my coffee. I do have the liquid FF creamer in Vanilla and hazelnut. Both have some sugar in them....But I shouldn't be concerned about that????? Boy, you can tell I am new to this, huh?

Thanks Nikki and Ann. I don't know if it is just a lazy Sunday but I am sooo tired too. But I am going to find a snack now.

Hope you both had a nice Sunday. Arlene Talk toyou later.
Closed Thread