Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #1  
Lost

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'9

Default FAT CAT i'm worried

hi, my big sister has a cat and it is fat, it eats my grandmothers cat's food even after it's just had its dinner. and it's gained so much weight, i cant currently take this cat into my own hands because i'm living in the uk and my sister is living in canada, and my sister is always out and the cat is usually stuck inside .. she use to add extra food to the cat dish when she had to work over time, and i dont know it just doesn't know when to stop eating.

i recently saw a picture of it , and it's really fat... the cat currently lives with my mom now so does my big sister , and my grandmothers cat lives with my mom as well.. and personally those two cats dont get along that well also..

my mom doesnt have the time to keep an eye on the fat cat so it doesnt eat my grandmothers cats food.. .. my big sister use to take her cat out for walks but because shes working part time and going to college she doesnt have time to make it exercise.

do anyone of you have any advice i can give my sister? should she bring the cat to the vet about getting special diet food or something... although i hear cats are picky about what food they eat...is there a appetite suppressant for cats?

the cat is living in a big house now so it's not like its a small apartment but i still think she should try and find more time to walk her cat.

thx
VioletRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Well, your sister's cat could have a thyroid problem. My boyfriend's cat, Krissy, is also overweight, he feeds her Science Diet Adult Light food and Krissy is still the same weight even with cutting back on food. She gets hungry all the time. I do free-feeding sometimes with mine when I know no one will be home for a while but my cats seem to do okay as they are normal weights. I would suggest her to take it to the vet if she can to be sure the cat is okay. As for special diets and stuff like that, I don't know.

Usually cats with a big space can get good exercise, does your sister have (a) cat tree(s) of some sort? My boyfriend puts Krissy's food on top of the cat tree to "force" her to get some exercise.

Now this post makes me worry about what I'm gonna do once the boyfriend and the cat comes to live with me and mine with the food issues and etc since I feed mine with Purina Urinary Health (male cat had UTI a while back so he has to eat that forever.)

PS is your grandmother's cat also overweight?? I have no suggestions since both don't have time to watch them eat so..

Last edited by amandie; 05-30-2012 at 11:21 AM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #3  
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Well, your sister's cat could have a thyroid problem. My boyfriend's cat, Krissy, is also overweight, he feeds her Science Diet Adult Light food and Krissy is still the same weight even with cutting back on food. She gets hungry all the time. I do free-feeding sometimes with mine when I know no one will be home for a while but my cats seem to do okay as they are normal weights. I would suggest her to take it to the vet if she can to be sure the cat is okay. As for special diets and stuff like that, I don't know.

Usually cats with a big space can get good exercise, does your sister have (a) cat tree(s) of some sort? My boyfriend puts Krissy's food on top of the cat tree to "force" her to get some exercise.

Now this post makes me worry about what I'm gonna do once the boyfriend and the cat comes to live with me and mine with the food issues and etc since I feed mine with Purina Urinary Health (male cat had UTI a while back so he has to eat that forever.)

PS is your grandmother's cat also overweight?? I have no suggestions since both don't have time to watch them eat so..
thanks for replying, nope my grandmothers cat is normal weight, i didnt know cats could have thyroid problems.. i think she took him to the vet once about it and she switched to a different type of food, and also reduced the soft food and added more hard food instead.

hmm.. no she doesnt have a cat tree , but the cats like jumping up on the window sill, and the house has a lot of steps, the fat cat likes the attic so it has to climp the main steps then steps to the attic to get there.. but i get so scared when it goes down the steps.. omg
it goes down the steps side ways...
also there are steps to the basement and sometimes he goes down there..
he likes bothering my grandmothers cat.. so you would think he would get exercise that way ..
but we have not seen any change in his weight maybe it is a thyroid problem
Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #4  
Just watch me ...

Oh yes, cats can get the same problems that we humans can. I'd definitely have kitty checked out. You're a good person for worrying about her health
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #5  
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhale15 View Post
Oh yes, cats can get the same problems that we humans can. I'd definitely have kitty checked out. You're a good person for worrying about her health
aw thanks i will make sure to tell my sister to go back to the vet with him.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #6  
Woman on a mission!!!

S/C/G: 211.05/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Growing up I had a fat cat who was simply lazy!! I cant offer any advice rather than taking her to the vet and getting their professional opinion. My cat had visits to the vet and was in fine health besides the obvious. We lived in a pretty large home but she wouldn't do much but lay around. I personally loved having a fat cat but of course being certain they are healthy is most important. She passed away a few years back just due to old age.
shainasb818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #7  
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by shainasb818 View Post
Growing up I had a fat cat who was simply lazy!! I cant offer any advice rather than taking her to the vet and getting their professional opinion. My cat had visits to the vet and was in fine health besides the obvious. We lived in a pretty large home but she wouldn't do much but lay around. I personally loved having a fat cat but of course being certain they are healthy is most important. She passed away a few years back just due to old age.
well it's good to know your cat didnt dye of health complications, hmm for a fat cat my sisters cat is quite active though, when i'm there at least, i remember him running around after my grandmothers cat he use to run up and down the stairs.. which made me panic a lot lol.. my sister kind of likes him fat too.. because he looks funny when you put a colorful Hawaiian shirt on him..but yeah like you said health should be first. yup will try and talk my sister into taking him to the vet