Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default 40-Somethings 4th of July Challenge!

Hello,everyone! The Memorial Day challenge really helped me further my goals. I wound up losing 5lbs, when my original goal was only 4! Of course, I am going with my low weight from last week before the Memorial Day binge fest I just had. I wouldn't be surprised if the scale is up by a few this morning, but I am not going to find out! It's back on track for me today. Hopefully this 4th of July challenge will get us is in even better shape for those Independence Day BBQs, shorts, tank tops, bathing suits, hot weather fun!

My goal is to -

Drink at least 8 cups of water per day

Lose 4 pounds, which would put me at 149 lbs (and a normal BMI weight!!!!)

Stick to an average of 9,000-9,300 calories per week

Take my vitamins every day

Exercise more

What are your goals for the 4th of July Challenge?

Last edited by guacamole; 05-30-2012 at 11:52 AM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #2  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Guacamole!

My goals;
~ weight goal ~ 5 pound loss.
~SW 145 GW 140 Which would mean; healthy BMI
~ upper body toning 3xweek
~ core training 3xweek
~ take 100000 steps per week.

Last edited by Sum38; 05-29-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #3  

Sum38 - We are both working toward healthy BMI weights! It has taken me so long to get this close...I almost can't believe it's going to happen soon. I became obese about 7 years ago, but I was in the overweight BMI category for much longer (although I didn't know anything about BMI measures until a few years ago). It's probably been about 13 years since I've had a healthy BMI weight (yikes!).

Last edited by guacamole; 05-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Guac, thanks for starting the thread! I've been a quasi-maintainer for several years, but after this weekend's holiday blowout, I was thinking yesterday that I really need a short-term focus to help me get closer to where I'd like to be. Six weeks will be just right.

I'm starting from 155.5 this morning, which is artificially high and will drop 2-3 this week ... so I'll start with:
* Drop 10 from today (145.5)
* Swim 15 times (laps or deep-water aerobics)
* Record EVERY bite!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

May I join in?

If so, this will be the first challenge in which I've ever been a part.

I would like to lose 5 lbs by July 4th. That would put me at 194.5.

I have a pretty big challenge though. I will be taking students to Germany and Prague for a 10 day trip in the middle of June. I will get a lot of exercise, but have NO control over my food choices. Sometimes I lose on these trips. And, sometimes I gain. There isn't much wiggle room for me with this goal.

But, I'll give it a shot.

Best wishes to us all!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #6  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Wow do I need this!!

OK, goals:

1) Start Belly Fat Cure after grocery shopping this week
2) Write down everything I eat
3) Exercise 6 days/week
4) Vitamins
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/142/130

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for starting the new challenge guac!

I only ended up losing 3 pounds last month instead of the 5 I had wanted. So I'm going to go for a 5 pound loss again this challenge and hopefully I will make it. I am curious about trying the belly fat cure also. I'm going to check it out and if anyone has any hints and tips for me I would love to hear them!

So goals:

SW: 142, GW: 137
working toward getting rid of the last of my diet soda habit
water, water, water
up the intensity and speed in my running
add yoga! I am so tight I need more stretching badly

Good luck everyone!
cbigsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #8  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

cbigsis Check out
Quote:
http://www.jorgecruise.com/

When I started belly fat cure, I dropped 5 pounds in 7 or so days. It just removed a ton of bloat.

I find eating very easy and I am not skimping out on food. I make huge salads for lunch with 8 oz of chicken or even 12 oz of shrimp.

Biggest tip, keep added sugar to as close to 0 as you can, and even natural sugar low. he says 15g, I have been eating 20g -- I like tomatoes too much.

I started making my own salad dressing; olive oil, squirt of fancy mustard, some lemon and spices like paprika, garlic, oregano etc. Yum, yum; zero sugar!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

I was wrong - we only have 35 days til 7/4. Wow! I am still going to stand by my drive for 10 pounds off, although it teeters into the unreasonably aggressive category. 2 of about 4 from weekend bloat are now gone, and I was on plan yesterday at just under 1500 cal.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Hello everyone!!! Guac thank you so much for starting this challenge. It is so nice to see you all again and some newbies too....the support here has been so important and motivating for me.

Okay so I was super successful at losing in the Memorial Day Challenge but as we all know it is so EASY to put that weight back on, especially when there is emotional turmoil going on like it is in my life. Also being at this weight at 45 is not the same as being at this weight at 25...Can I just say a big fat EWWWWWW....cellulite has taken over and I look like one big saggy mess......even my arms have sag and some cellulite which I never had before....to think that I teach Zumba!! So here are my goals

1. Maintain this weight, maybe lose two more lbs.
2. Water! I have been so slacking in drinking water....I need to step it up by making a point of drinking more of it and less coffee.
3. Okay for YEARS now Ive been saying I want to start lifting weights or doing some other type of resistance training because plain and simple Zumba is not enough to give me the results I want. Yes, a Zumba instructor just said that. So I need to find something that i like and stick to it. The Jillian Michaels Butt and Thigh DVD was HORRIBLE..I hated it....boring and repetitive. The movements gave me a back ache. Not sure what else to try....
4. Continue with the BFC but try and get more vegetables in and berries for fruit.
5. Supplements..I totally gave up vitamins, not sure why but Im feeling weak and need to start taking them again along with fish oil and maybe some Vitamin D which I know I am deficient in . (doctor tested me for it).

My next court date for my fugly divorce is around fourth of july so this is perfect timing...healthy body means healthy mind and I need to have it "together' to face whatever I need to face.

Thanks everyone for your support.....LETS DO THIS!
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #11  

zumba - I so admire you for sticking to your diet goals through this emotional time! It really is inspirational to me, as I am so prone to emotional overeating. I will keep your determination in mind the next time I feel like binging or going off track when I am under stress.

Sum38 - Your salad dressing sounds tasty and easy - a recipe for success! I think I will try it. I really am doing a belly-fat-curish diet of low sugar, low carb, and high protein. I started doing this in May after a few week plateau, and it is working so far. The only problem is that I go off track on weekends, with higher carbs and sugars, so it slows down my progress.

cbigsis - You are really doing well! Congratulations on your success so far.

ICUwishing - Time is really flying by and 4th of July isn't far off. It can't hurt to shoot for 10 lbs, just as long as you realize that any amount lost during this challenge is a victory! Actually, even maintaining is victory, although I often have to remind myself of that repeatedly to believe it!

natamars -nice to see you here! It wouldn't be a challenge without you!

beth4365 - Sounds like an amazing trip! Your goals sound reasonable and hopefully the accountability of this thread will help you stay on track.

I am on track so far yesterday and today. I can see a healthy BMI weight right around the corner and I really want to reach it. Also, I have one more pound to go before I can say that I have lost a total of 60lbs! I really can't believe that all those little pounds lost in starts and stops have added up to so much. So, it's one foot in front of the other. March.....march...

Last edited by guacamole; 05-30-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #12  

S/C/G: Afraid to look/135

Height: 5'4"

Goals for 4th of July Challenge:

Lose last 5 pounds
Maintain, maintain, maintain
Keep exercising!
Drink more water.

Good Luck to All!
KG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Ok, I'm at 185.2 today.
Goal:
Lose 3.5 pounds. (181.7)
Have at least 33 stars on my calendar (I get one for each workout, and one for one rest day per week.)
Finish Ruckus Obstacle Course race with no injuries.
Finish triathlon swim and bike legs with no injuries. (Friend is running for me.)
Go rock climbing again.
Eat one serving of veggies per day that isn't avocado (I have gut issues with a lot of veggies...)
And keep tracking every day no matter what.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

3 down - as predicted I thought these would come back off pretty easily. Made the calorie goal. I sat down to figure out where I can fit in some swimming this week, and the times I have open are not the ones the pool has lap swim. Next week looks a lot better on the exercise front. For background, I have a DS12 who is deeply involved in choir and soccer. One of the choirs is over an hour away and has their final concert this weekend. I spend LOTS of time in the car! He's also winding up the school year; thus there are several evening performances that are mandatory attendance. Crazy week - but will persevere!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #15  

Congratulations to those staying on track. I veered off course last night, eating Memorial Day weekend leftovers which included pasta, cheese, and cheese cake. Gulp! I haven't gone off plan during the week in a very long time. This morning, I took all the remaining leftovers and threw them in the garbage. It is really hard for me to throw away food, because I feel so wasteful. However, no one else in my family was going to eat the remaining food, and it isn't healthy for me to eat it. I weighed myself this morning at 156. So, due to my overeating and binging on the weekend and last night, I put on 3 lbs! All I can do is pick myself up, dust myself off, and get back on track.