Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/213/150

Height: 5'6"

Default How much exercise a night?

I'm diving headfirst into getting my exercise routine re-started. My goals so far include:

- Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred
- Couch 2 5k
- Yoga
- Walking

If do one of the above a night (walking for 60mins) is that a good plan? Should I be exercising more?

This is all in addition to eating healthier.

TIA!
justdazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #2  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I think if you are just starting out you don't want to go too crazy too soon.

That said, you are capable of more than you might think - JM 30 day shred is a great way to start [I did the same thing!] and you will probably be really sore, so I would recommend walking the next day, then yoga, then coach to 5k...

Basically just be careful not to over-work the same muscles each day and make sure you give your self a day or two each week to rest! It might help to make up a plan w/ set days off the first month so you know what to look forward to and you can plan your days/rests. Good luck & welcome to exercising!!!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #3  

Thank you lm3898!

I guess I was concerned that 30 - 45mins of the 30 Shred wouldn't be enough. I was thinking C25K Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the week with something inbetween.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Since you have 4 exercise routines, I would just do them every other day.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #5  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Haha - I wouldn't worry about JM not being enough when you start! I was dying when I first started 30 day shred! But I was really out of shape - she gets right into it though, cardio, pushups, abs, squats, lunges etc. so I DON'T think you'll find it too light - it really is a great first step [level 1].

Though, if you are in better shape, you can always add a walk after or repeat one of the circuits [she does 3 circuits per level].
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm3898 View Post
Haha - I wouldn't worry about JM not being enough when you start! I was dying when I first started 30 day shred! But I was really out of shape - she gets right into it though, cardio, pushups, abs, squats, lunges etc. so I DON'T think you'll find it too light - it really is a great first step [level 1].

Though, if you are in better shape, you can always add a walk after or repeat one of the circuits [she does 3 circuits per level].
Oh it will probably kill me (HA!) Thank you for the advice!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I would start with 30 minutes a day, and work your way up to an hour a day. You can do more, depending on how your body feels and how much you like exercise. After all, our ancestors hunted and gathered and farmed etc. for 12 hours a day and that's all hard exercise. But an hour a day is something modern day people should be able to fit into their schedule and also not feel like they are over-doing if they work up to it properly.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'5

I have been working out for about a month and the ones I really like to do is :

6 week 6 pack jillian michaels : 5 days a week
30 day shred level 3: everyday
I also just started running: I do not have a plan for the running though, couple times a week i guess lol

I did notice that with Jillan, those pushups and planks she just loves actually works lol I can see the indention going up my back like all those skinny girls have haha
katy929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee
I would start with 30 minutes a day, and work your way up to an hour a day. You can do more, depending on how your body feels and how much you like exercise. After all, our ancestors hunted and gathered and farmed etc. for 12 hours a day and that's all hard exercise. But an hour a day is something modern day people should be able to fit into their schedule and also not feel like they are over-doing if they work up to it properly.
One of my biggest excuses was I just didn't have enough time in my day. Working around my current schedule to fit in exercise has been tricky but so far so good! I'm a planner and as long as I have a plan I feel in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy929
I have been working out for about a month and the ones I really like to do is :

6 week 6 pack jillian michaels : 5 days a week
30 day shred level 3: everyday
I also just started running: I do not have a plan for the running though, couple times a week i guess lol

I did notice that with Jillan, those pushups and planks she just loves actually works lol I can see the indention going up my back like all those skinny girls have haha
Highly recommend the Couch-2-5K program if you haven't already checked it out
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'5

I have never heard of the couch 2-5k program. I am going to have to look at that and find some more info about it.

Thanks
katy929 is offline   Reply With Quote