Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default After cheating: do you even look at the scale?

I had an entire week of not-so-great eating and no exercise due to studying (Im taking a very hard course where I'm super behind in).. I know, that's alot.. I feel like complete ****, I'm itching to run but I have my last summer school test tomorrow so tomorrow I'm going to go nuts.

I just feel like I shouldn't even look at the scale, when it's not good news I get discouraged and stop caring altogether.

What would/do you guys do?
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Well, I look only because it's important to me to know if I'm making progress in my future weight-loss, not because I'm eager to know how much I gained. I don't know if my current diet is working unless I see results on the scale.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #3  

I am currently in the exact same situtation. I weighed myself for the first time after a month off track, i went up at least 7lbs. It wasn't good, but it was the kick i needed to get back on plan and to stay on plan. I suggest you do the same, it might strengthen your resolve.

Good luck with the study.
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I give myself a few days to get back on track so that I won't get discouraged. I had a completely off plan Memorial Day weekend, and there is no way I am stepping on the scale until a few on plan days have passed.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I would weigh in on my regular weigh in day.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

I always weigh in anyway... ignorance is bliss, but knowing where you are will help motivate you to get back on track... at least that is how it is in my case.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I do. For me I have to own up to what I've eaten. In the past that is exactly how I have gained (not weighing).
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #8  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I do... well, most of the time. I weigh daily as it is the best tool I have to keep me accountable. No matter how painful I think it's going to be, I get on the scale. It helps get me back on track and keep me on track. However, I do have those days when I'll skip because I'm certain it's not going to be good. Like yesterday I skipped it. I know I shouldn't have, but I did. The key for me is, even if I skip it, I can't do that more than a day or two or I start to avoid and then I gain. It's my own kind of crazy.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #9  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I weigh myself every morning including after days of overeating. For me it motivates me to get back to normal and I think that if I didn't weigh in straight away I'd either be really anxious about the numbers or I'd continue eating badly because I wasn't planning on weighing in. If you're worried about it though don't weigh in.. wait for a few days and drink lots of water. Remember that it's mostly water weight.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 231/162/165

Height: 6'

I weigh every Sunday morning no matter how the week goes. It's a habit I really need to establish. I don't consider going over allotted calories cheating though. It is just life.
daniprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I never used to. I couldn't handle seeing the gain, I'd make promises that I'd give myself a few days to get back on track. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but many times over the years, it was that exact thinking that led to every regain. Regains ranging from 10-15lbs, to a gain of 80lbs. I know this may not be the case with everyone, but I must continue to do my daily weigh-ins, regardless of my eating.

For me, my weigh-ins hold me responsible for my actions. It's not to punish or make me feel bad, but the gain from off-plan eating is going to be there whether I see the numbers on the scale or not. Seeing the numbers makes me aware of were I stand and can give me the motivation to make the changes necessary.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

I don't. I know the scale will be up, and it will probably be up a lot (I can retain water like nobody's business! lol) so I don't get on the scale for at least a couple of days. For me, it's not worth the discouragement...it's a mental thing for me. Even though I know the scale will be up, and that it's my own doing, it still discourages me a lot to see the actual number. I'll give it a couple of days for the water weight to come off, then get on the scale. More often than not the number is probably still up, but not a whole lot.
That's if I've cheated a day or two...if it had been weeks or something, then I'd be getting on the scale right away to get me back on track!

ETA: I always weigh myself on my scheduled weigh in days (Saturdays), regardless of cheating. For example, if I cheated on a Friday, I still weigh in on Saturdays.

Last edited by PinkLotus; 05-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #13  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I weigh myself every day regardless of my cheating the day before.
I like seeing what I did and I honestly deserve the number that comes from it. I think it allows me to get back into it and work harder not to do it again. I think it's fun to see how my body reacts to my cheat days.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I weigh daily because I'm pretty obsessed about it. So yeah I punish myself If I've had a not so great week or whatever. (Just like this last weekend. I gained the 4lbs I lost PLUS 4-5 extra)
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #15  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

i always say that i'm going to give myself a few days and that that weigh in doesnt count, but i always end up weighing every day regardless of how badly i've eating.

the number i see sometimes sucks, but hey, i agree with other people that it keeps me on track and peaks my motivation to do better. i read somewhere that one of the possible keys to maintaining weight loss is to regularly find a way to keep yourself accountable. for some it's the scale for others its a piece of clothing and to be aware of small changes and fix them before they become big problems.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote