Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default I hate stair machines but I have to do them!

I've decided to do 30 mins on the stairmaster at least 3 times a week - or as many days as I don't work both of my jobs, only 1 (I walk between the two jobs and my house covering a total of 5 miles in about an hour and 15, on those days I'm just too damn tired to get to the gym).

Problem is, I hate exercise. I need to motivate myself for the first two months or so, the last time I had a great exercise regime was when my dad signed us up for a charity half-marathon and I saw on Facebook that a woman I LOATHED in high school was going to be there. I ran myself into the ground every day, going to the gym at 1am if I had to, just so I would be better than her. Sadly, I have no such all consuming motivation anymore, instead I have a cuddly fiance who is easy to persuade to cuddle on the couch with me all night. I've tried to get him to make me go to the gym, but he caves if I make puppy dog eyes at him.

I've got 19 months to go from "blah" to amazing for my wedding day, and the stair master is definitely something that works for my body type, I know from past experience that my body responds well to it.

Sooo...anyone have any tips or tricks for motivation?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #2  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

I would fear you're going to have a hard time maintaining a routine that you hate. I have learned that I am not a gym bunny... I belong to Planet Fitness only because a friend has talked me into going 3x/week, but I am adding in fun outdoor stuff on top of it For me, getting up the energy to go ride a bike in the sun and breeze is much easier than time spent in a dark, dull gym.

Do you like being outside better? What kind of movement do you like? Maybe dance? Roller blading? Playing on a jungle gym? Swimming?
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #3  

BerkshireGrl,

It's true that I hate the gym, but it's something I'm used to doing, I've been going to the gym on and off with my father (who had body issues too) since I was 13 years old. The thought of finding something new is daunting and I don't really have the resources to do so. I enjoy walking, and walking between jobs is definitely motivation enough on those days, and the walking seems to be helping.

Maybe I'll incorporate a post-workout swim into my regime, since the pool at the university is free to students (as is the gym). They also have a climbing wall, maybe I'll take a swing at that too - sort of like a reward for going to the gym in the first place.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Do you hate exercise or just the stair machine?

There are exercises I hate, so I don't do them. Instead I found something I love doing and I do that.

I don't really like running—I've tried it numerous times—and while I'll do it occasionally it's not something I do regularly. I do LOVE weight training though, so I'll often choose that over running. I also like spin classes so I take those a lot.

Find something you enjoy doing! It's much easier to stick with.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #5  

This will sound strange...I don't hate exercising per se, I hate the entire process of going to the gym (or dance studio, or pool, I've done lots of different sports) and being there for an hour and getting tired and time slowing down while I'm there. I get easily frustrated when I encounter difficulty and exercise isn't supposed to be easy to do, and if you find it easy you should up the intensity...so it never feels like I "win" at it...I'm always sort of "losing" because I'm tired at the end...I don't know if that makes sense...
Old 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #6  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Katbot, if it works for you, have at it! Having a gym partner is a huge help, I've found... it's great that you go with your dad!

My parents are slowly getting back into exercise, which is wonderful. My dad is 71 and my mom 66, and while he has an active past, my mom sure doesn't. But she just bought a bike and while she's scared of riding since her last time was more than 50 years ago, she really wants to do it. She's always mocked exercise as something jocks do, but now that she's seeing signs of decline in her balance, she's seen the light

I love swimming... and climbing walls can be intense! Stairclimbers are beasts. Personally, I find them too hard for me at my current weight... respect to you! You are going to be jacked in 19 months!

Finding something you love I think will make time blow by, and while you will get tired, you will also be exhilarated. Like yesterday, I went for my first bike ride in 10 years. I rode 1.5 hours. There is no friggin' way I would have ever done 1.5 hours on a treadmill

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 05-28-2012 at 03:44 PM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote