South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 07:35 PM   #1  
Imagine...

Exclamation Calling All Cooks

This might sound like a stoopid question but I have never baked anything in my life, but how do you melt chocolate?

I tried to make chocolate covered strawberries and my choc. would not melt. it ended up like some wierd kind of 1/2 done brownie. I was using semi-sweet morsels. Any idea what went wrong?..........HELP
Old 08-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #2  

Sflake, here's advice from my DH the cook. Create a double boiler by putting a smaller pot into a larger one with water. When the water boils put your morsels into the upper pot and stir. He suggests adding a small pat of butter to act as a lubricant once it melts. Sounds Complicated to me. I might try the microwave but he says it's actually more complicated that way. good luck.......Julie
Old 08-21-2003, 07:45 PM   #3  
Imagine...

Thank you so much. Where are you in CT? I'm in Milford, by the beach. I figured how hard can it be to melt choc. guess I proved my superior cooking skills.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:51 AM   #4  
Mous

I put them in the micro and go 15 seconds at a time, stir and do it till it melts!

ENJOY

Lady M
Old 08-22-2003, 08:13 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Microwave works best for me but, for larger quantities, I use the double boiler method.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:05 AM   #6  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Okay, a few more tips:

If you don't have a pot that will fit inside another one, you can use a heat proof bowl over a pot of hot water. Don't use so much water that it touches the bottom of the bowl or the other pot.

If you use the microwave, only do it for a little bit at a time, as Marcie suggested. Make sure you stir it between times in the microwave because it won't change shape or look melted until you do. Stop before every little morsel is melted and stir for a couple of minutes. It is easy to burn.

If you add about a teaspoon (or 2, depending on how much chocolate you are melting) of butter or shortening as Glinda recommended, your chocolate will set up better and will be nice and shiny.

Make sure your fruit is completely dry or the coating won't stick.

It is best to dip them then set them on waxed paper or parchment paper to set up.

Enjoy! This thread is making me very hungry for chocolate dipped strawberries! MMMMM
Old 08-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #7  
Imagine...

Thanks Everyone!!

I am gonna give it another shot tonight, or I will be looking for the ready made stuff that Franny mentioned on the daily thread. I have a new found respect for anyone who can bake!!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:13 AM   #8  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I never met a sweet I couldn't make! Now THAT explains a lot! I still manage to get my baking "fix" in, but I take it all to work or bake for school functions. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate...although I don't suppose anyone here will have much need for my "expertise!"
Old 08-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

We will have need of your expertise, if you have developed any low-carb baking.: Ann
Old 08-22-2003, 05:53 PM   #10  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I haven't even tried any low carb baking, and not sure I will! I tend to be a purist when it comes to baking....real butter, etc. And I know me....why have one low carb brownie when the whole pan is staring me in the face? I have to bake cookies for an Ice Cream Social on Monday, and plan on making just enough for the event with no leftovers! Okay, maybe a couple for the DS!

I may eventually give low carb baking a try, but for now I know better!
Closed Thread