South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #1  

Default Whole Wheat Pasta Suggestions?

Hi everyone! I'm in my second week of Phase II and have lost 9-1/2 pounds so far I would love to hear your suggestions for a good-tasting whole wheat pasta. Also, I thought I read somewhere that beans and other legumes are considered veggies on SBD - did I dream that????
SusieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Fiber Gourmet is SO GOOD. It can be a little hard to find but sooo worth it.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #3  
Woman on a mission!!!

S/C/G: 211.05/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Just two nights ago I tried Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti. I added some shrimp to it and used some Prego Roasted Garlic and Herb spaghetti sauce and it was very good!! My 5 year old loved it as well.
shainasb818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Legumes are considered legumes on this plan. You still need lots of veggies every day.

on the weightloss!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone! I'll look for the Fiber Gourmet brand and make sure I eat plenty of veggies with my beans
Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Don't know how this fits in the plan, but Barilla Plus pasta is filled with fiber and protein and it tastes like pasta unlike a lot of whole wheat pastas that feel too heavy.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Susie - your profile doesn't say where in the country you live. There's a chain in NY/PA - Wegmans, that has their own house brand of Super Pasta that is quite good. I'm looking for a good non-wheat pasta now.
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224.6/196/134

Height: 5'2"

I second the Barilla Plus pasta. My hubby is VERY!!!! picky and detests anything "good for you" LOL I used this pasta one night and didn't tell him and he ate it up and didn't notice the difference so it's all we use now. Well... used before I started South Beach... can't wait to have some pasta again... 15 more pounds to lose before I reintroduce any pasta, rice or breads for me. I'm currently doing a modified phase 1
FabBy40Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #9  

I started to buy the Barilla Plus pasta but wasn't sure if it was okay on SBD. I've had it before and thought it was very good, too.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieK View Post
I started to buy the Barilla Plus pasta but wasn't sure if it was okay on SBD. I've had it before and thought it was very good, too.
I was just thinking these should all be checked for ingredients first because I'm not sure they are all SBD safe. People often respond to the questions without knowing what SBD is or even that they are in the SBD forum, they just have a favorite food they want to recommend

Here's what I found for the Barilla:
INGREDIENTS:
Semolina, grain and legume flour blend (lentils, chick peas, oats, spelt, barley, egg whites, ground flaxseeds and wheat fiber), niacin, ferrous lactate (iron), thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid.

IMO definitely not SBD friendly, that semolina is pure starch.

Fiber Gourmet has the same problem:
Classic (All Shapes): Durum Semolina Flour, Modified Wheat Starch, Wheat Gluten

Remember South Beach is whole grain, whole foods not low carb. Have you tried brown rice pasta? That's my personal favorite and reminds me more of the pasta I grew up with. Depending on where you live my Mom can get fresh whole wheat pasta, also very good. I rarely eat pasta anymore because I just can't handle the serving size.

Last edited by CyndiM; 05-25-2012 at 12:51 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #11  

I just copied this from the South Beach Website: On Phase 2, go for healthy pasta. Prepare homemade pasta using whole-wheat flour instead of regular white flour. Alternatively, you could purchase a healthy whole-wheat or whole-grain pasta, like those mentioned above, at the supermarket. Unlike white pasta, which is made from refined wheat flour and has had most of its fiber and other nutrients removed, these newer pastas have their fiber intact and will help keep you feeling fuller, longer. You can find many styles of whole-wheat or whole-grain pasta, including penne, rigatoni, spaghetti, lasagna, linguine, macaroni shells, and fettuccine in most large supermarkets. Look for brands with 3 grams or more of fiber per serving and stick with 1/2 cup cooked.

So - I think when it comes to pasta - the rule is portion control and fiber!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #12  

Thank you all for your help! I think I'll try the brown rice pasta . . .
Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #13  
One Day~

S/C/G: 206.3/203.8/135

Height: 5'6

I just found a new one about 2 weeks ago that I plan on trying once my 2 weeks ends. (Started my first week during Mother's Day.. bad idea. Fell into the guilt trip of my mom wanting to share....so I had to restart.) Mueller's Whole Wheat. They had a BOGO at my local grocer to introduce it so I picked up the penne and the spaghetti. Only one ingredient- durem whole wheat. I can't link, but if you go to the Mueller's site they have a section for their whole wheat pasta, or you could prolly just Google d^_^b

Last edited by InvisibleMe; 05-28-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to say grats to your weight loss in the midst of Google distraction. Congratulations!! lol :)
InvisibleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #14  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I am a big fan of spelt pasta. VitaSpelt brand has a great flavor on its own, isn't as grainy/chewy as other whole wheat pastas (which some people may like, others not so much) and has a number of shapes. The only ingredient besides water is organic whole spelt. It is getting harder to find though and last time I was in Whole Foods they only had a *white* version of it, which I think is the equivalent of regular white semolina pasta. I order it here (the whole grain version, not the white). I want to try the lasagna! I have never seen that in a store.

Last time I was at Whole Foods I picked up a pasta made with Einkorn - apparently the first type of wheat ever cultivated... 20% RDA of thiamin and 80% of magnesium, unfortified. I thought it sounded interesting.

But I also agree with CyndiM that I don't eat much of it any more. For portion-control reasons and that I am starting to think I just do do well with wheat. When I do eat it, I measure out the serving size and only cook that much, bulking up with veggies. Long shreds of zucchini or carrot make a nice addition to spaghetti, angel hair and other long shapes.

I also like brown rice pasta. I buy that in rotini or penne shape (Trader Joe's) or in Asian rice-noodle shape (Whole Foods).

BTW, I do buy Barilla Plus for my husband to sneak some fiber in, but I don't consider it SBD-compliant. It is delicious! And binge-provoking, especially when he boils the entire package and slathers it with butter
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #15  

Emma - how was the Einkorn? Did you feel any differently than after regular whole wheat pasta? I've been wondering about wheat/gluten - I keep reading that people with thyroid disease should avoid wheat, but..... I can't imagine not ever being able to eat wheat again...