Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #1  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Completed my first Duathlon!

Hi everyone,
I don't get to visit the forums much anymore, but I love hearing everyone's success stories when I do get a few minutes.

A big part of my weightloss journey was learning to run again and realizing that I actually love sports. I have managed to maintain my weightloss for well over a year now by doing things that I love, mainly running and biking.

I have run 22 half marathons and 4 full marathons. I still love running, but I wanted and needed a new challenge. On Sunday I completed my first duathlon, which including running/biking/running.

It was 2 miles running/10 miles biking/2 miles running. I came in first in my age group of 45-49 and received an awesome trophy. I love biking. Hubby bought me a racing bike for Valentine's Day. I feel like a kid again, free and happy when I ride. It's not nearly as difficult as running (for me) and it's easier on my joints. I have practiced for several weeks with clipless pedals and they are a challenge in themselves, but they give you so much more power overall.

I have managed to do all of these things with Parkinson's Disease, which I was diagnosed with 13 years ago this month. I have had 4 brain surgeries to help control the symptoms of my illness. I am here to say, "don't ever give up on your dreams". Truly, almost anything is possible if you really want it. Thanks.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Yay!! I'm signed up for my first in October!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #3  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like a fun challenge CONGRADS on your placing you ROCK!
PS there is nothing better than fighting back and winning your an inspiration.....Never give up!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote