Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:46 AM   #1  
Queen of China

Default just for fun...???????????

what are some of the most outrageous things people have said to you? Here's some of mine:
1) at grocery store, in 'diet' isle, tiny daughter picks up box of slimfast bars...mom rushes to her and says (looking directly at me) "Oh no honey, those are not for US...we are HEALTHY...those are for (pause for effect, still staring at me) UNHEALTHY people"
2) upon arrivig at my parents home in my new Miata..."damn, girl, they almost didn't make that car big enough for you" (thanks Dad)
Old 08-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #2  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

EFF 'EM!!!!!

I remember being told (at a trendy resale shop) "I think we have something that will fit you..." IF I WANTED SOMETHING THAT WOULD "FIT ME" I'D DRAPE A SHEET AROUND ME!!!!! I WANT A NICE LOOKING/NICE FITTING OUTFIT!!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 04:44 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hmmm.....

"If you'd show a little willpower." I've almost slugged someone for that one.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #4  

YUP!! I've gotten that one too!!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:35 PM   #5  

My dad yelled and cried on the phone, hung up on me several times when I protested mildly, and read me a letter I wrote him when I was a kid about his weight, only at that time HE was about 80 lbs more than I was when he read it to me, so it felt like he was equating us weight-wise. That really added to my week/month/year, I'm telling you!

Lidian
Old 08-09-2003, 10:13 AM   #6  
Queen of China

wow, Lidian, that is pretty deep...that must have been hard to hear. I'm not sure if I would be more amazed about the letter of the fact that he kept it all these years.

I do love the looks on those size 0 sales help in those trendy shops when I walk in. All I can do is remember the scene from "Pretty Woman" when Julia roberts goes back to the shop and says..."big mistake!"

Last week I was shopping for a dress for a special wedding. I went into one of those shops hoping against hope there would be something there. I was feeling pretty good about myself, considering I had just lost 85 lbs and could finally shop in a store like that. After a few minutes I was informed they didn't have anything 'IN MY SIZE" (A 14!!!) and slunk away feeling not quite good enough again.
when I returned to the car, my hubby noticed I was pretty bummed and asked what happened. I told him how I felt and we sat in silence in the mall parking lot for a few minutes. Then he announced he had to find a bathroom. He was gone for a while..(nothing unusual for him) and when he returned he had a open bottle of coke.
He turned to me and said..."you know, you shouldn't shake up your pop bottle if you are planning on opening it in a fancy dress shop, they get really mad!"
Old 08-09-2003, 10:18 AM   #7  

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That is GREAT!! Showed hubby, and he loved it too!! Your hubby is DEFINITELY a "keeper"!!!!!
Old 08-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #8  

Ginya, your DH sounds terrific! What a great thing to do!

I wasn't surprised he had the letter - it is like Linear B back at his place, and it was a nice letter I guess...I just don't like hearing that stuff read out loud. I wrote and spoke VERY carefully as a kid (usual dysfunctional tension made this necessary) and all I can hear, when I hear my old words, is how careful and not-me they were. But of course, I can't SAY that (since we have come to sort of agree to disagree about how things were when I was growing up - I'm sure lots of us experience this!)

See, these awful sales clerks who are size 0 are part of the reason why I LOVE to shop secondhand - no one to bother me and I can take my time finding stuff and there are always LOTS of real-life sizes (and good stuff too, if you search it out)!

Lidian
Old 08-09-2003, 10:43 AM   #9  
Queen of China

I love, love, love second hand places...I just spend hours there. and have all the 'good ones' scoped out. I have so many cool things from second places. In fact, unless absolutly necessary, I always buy second hand. (undied excluded)

hubby is is totally a keeper. I am truely blessed.

coming from disfunction~junction, I totally understand. My parents, sibs and extended family are all is this wierd waltz of denial and passive/agressive manipulation. I just moved away and wish them some time of peace and harmony as best they can understand it. I reject guilt and ignore the back handed cmpliments...visit them on my terms and avoid any confrontation. I will be the one who breaks the cycle of anger one way or another. Usually by enjoying a good life...living well IS my best revenge.

man, that got deep, sorry!
Old 08-09-2003, 12:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

A few years back before I had any children and was unmarried...I thought I had a weight problem weighing 160 at 5'7" and was a size 13. I got down to a size 8 through diet and exercise and looked really good.
I worked in an office that had "brother/sister offices" that I had to travel to now and then. I went to another office and the office manager there (who was overweight and sloppy-I loved him to death and he had a great sense of humor and we teased each other a lot-so I wasn't REALLY offended) said to me-"Wow! You really look great-when I first met you you were a little chunkball!"
Everyone looked in my direction awaiting the impending slaughtering...I just looked at him cooly and said..."Hey, you're STILL a chunkball."

Aphil
Boy-after two kids and a highest every weight of 211 last year...I'd love to be that little "chunkball" again.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:55 PM   #11  

Aphil-I can relate!! I always thought I was fat when i was just a little zaftig. Now I AM fat, and I wish I could have enjoyed what I had when I HAD it!!!

Ginya-GREAT attitude. I am trying to move in that direction, and wish i could get my 13 year old to start thinking more that way too.

Lidian-NOONE can hurt you like your parents.....
Old 08-09-2003, 03:10 PM   #12  
Pending Email Confirmation

Okay, the first one that comes to my mind would be when I was at work and waiting on this woman who had a little kid in her cart. Behind her was a woman who was 400lbs or more, and in front of her was me. Her kid says "mommy, look at the fat lady" and the woman looks at the one lady, then at me and looking at me says "Which one?" I was so furious. What kind of parent doesn't smack their kid when they say something like that and act embarassed? I mean, even if it was insincere she could have acted sorry. Arg.

Another one was when I was just starting to get fat - I was at a party and my boyfriend had this old yearbook he was passing around. This guy came to my picture (when i was anorexic) and said - "wow, that was you? You used to be cute."
Up yours buddy!

And then there were the horrors of wedding dress shopping. I was met with mostly rude people, a couple of "plus size" dresses (a size 12 or 14 at the biggest grrr. i'm a 22 dammit!) and I think the best moment was when they lady made me put on a pair of gloves and kept the curtian open when i was trying on the dress - to make sure i didn't get any of the food i was obviously storing in my UNDERWEAR on it i guess.

I think though one of the best ones on the positive side is this one - i walked into this sort of hippy trendy clothes store and wandered around a while - the salesgirl asked if she could help me so i asked if there was any plus sized clothes in the store and she smiled at me and said "We have <normal> sized clothes all through out, yes. " I t was great. I wanted to hug her. It almost made up for all the times I cried at the mall.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:44 PM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, Lizzi... that's a sweet story!

I've had the, "Gee, you used to be cute!" comment, too.

And my sister (whom I love dearly) used to be fat while I was thin, but she's thin and fit now. She'll say to me, "I've GOT to get rid of this 5 pounds!" Which makes me want to strangle her.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:09 PM   #14  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I forgot about the dear little children. One little girl was enamoured with me (I had bright purple hair, so the children ALWAYS loved me), and she followed me around a store and I talked with her for awhile and she finally said:
"Are you gonna have a baby?"

I could have strangled her.

The first time I walked into Torrid (plus-size Hot Topics) I missed the sign that said "Plus size." The salesclerk asked he if I had any questions and I said, "Yeah, do you carry any plus size clothes?" She laughed and said, "Oh no, none of those." (She thought I was being sarcastic). I pouted around the store until she came over and said, "Wait a minute, were you serious?" Then, she told me that the entire store was plus sized and I gave her a big hug and yelled, "Woo hoo!"
Old 08-09-2003, 11:47 PM   #15  

My Nana (grandma) was talking to me one day after I had lost 30 lbs and she said "You look really good now that you've lost some weight, you were always fairly small as a child we never expected you to balloon up and get so big."
I was walking through the halls in my Junior High one day, and I was the only one in the hall except for this one other boy who shouted "Hey fat girl, what's your name?"
I'm sure there's more, but these are the first that come to mind.
Closed Thread