Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 315/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Default Self Pity Eating!

Hi guys! I need some support (and maybe a little kick in the pants!) [backstory] I've lost about 157 lbs over the last 4 years by watching what I eat and doing triathlons. About a month ago I went over the handlebars of my bike while headed down a hill at about 30 mph. I ended up with a fractured collarbone and a 4th degree separation of my AC joint (shoulder). I had surgery to plate the collarbone and then put the joint back together. The latter wasn't successful, so a week later I had to go in for surgery #2 to try to fix the joint again.

OK, long story! But I'm having a really hard time with my weight ever since the accident. I've gone hardcore into pity eating. I'm really bummed out that I can't exercise and I'm feeling bad for myself. So I just sit around and eat, and eat, and then eat some more. I don't even think I can admit how much weight I've gained in only a month. But let's just say it's horrifying. I need to STOP it now, but I'm having a hard time. I keep saying "tomorrow" but we all know how that usually works out

Arghhhh! I've worked so hard to get this weight off. I can't gain it back now!
Heather157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I can only imagine how freaked out you are at this moment. I freak out when the weight loss stalls and starts to creep up, and then when I think about what's going to happen if it starts to creep back once I've reached goal. Yipes! Sometimes, the potential disappointment keeps me from moving forward with my efforts!

What are you feeling lately? Because you know that's what this is about. Can you do a bit of an honest emotional house cleaning to get to the root of the problems for you?

Angry, sad, afraid, guilty...don't judge yourself for feeling what you're feeling.

And if you're off exercise for now, did the doctor tell you that you can't do anything?
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Ouch. Sounds like plenty of justification for self pity! Not being able to exercise (or do a lot of other things you enjoy) IS devastating - not to mention the pain you must be in and the inconvenience/stress of the injury and recovery. Not to mention TWO surgeries. Hope you feel better soon.

Take it easy & heal. And hang in there - you have lots of people thinking of you.

Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

Wow your weightloss is truly inspiring! I think part of weightloss is learning to deal with the bumps in the road and full out road blocks that happen in life.
I can understand why you would start feeling pity for yourself to be lose an active lifestyle so suddenly is definitely a hard adjustment. I think it is important when these things happen to remain focused on the outcome. Bones and injuries heal (maybe not perfectly but they still heal) and even if you can't go back to the heavily active lifestyle for sometime you should be able to get some form of activity into your life within the next 2-3 months depending on your recovery time.

I think you need to look at this as a temporary blip rather than abject failure or a complete loss of your former life. Those things aren't gone they are just on hold while you focus on getting better.

I think it is normal to feel the way you are feeling right now but perhaps you should find something other than food as an outlet for those emotions.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 168/see ticker/147

Height: 5'5"

Ditto the above! You have done a fantastic job to get where you are and to incorporate such an active lifestyle into your day. It is a major set back but TEMPORARY! Is there no less strenuous exercise you could start right now which might start to put your head in the right place? Best wishes.
Milly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 315/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Thanks guys for all the support and words of encouragement. Honest emotional house cleaning. Great idea I think I'm definitely feeling scared. Scared that even though i've lost the weight, maybe I haven't totally changed the habits that got me to 315 lbs in the first place, scared that i'll get back on my bike and hurt myself even worse. Yup. Fear. a lot of fear.

I did go to the dr. today and he told me i could start doing the eliptical and other non- impact activities that just use my lower body. so i'll head out for a walk tomorrow and hopefully will feel better.

Thanks again for the support. Means a lot!
Heather157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

157 pounds and you've kept it off? Wow, you are my hero. I'm really inspired.

Please don't fall into a depression. I once lost the same as you and gained it all back. Totally destroyed my morale. Wouldn't wish my experience on anybody.

Just rest and watch your calories until you can get back to exercising. You might have a lot of self pity right now, but you'll have feelings of never-ending depression if you put the weight back on. Trust me, I now.

Good luck.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time! You've done a great job getting the weight off and staying in shape.

One thing that I thought of....and I just remember what has happened with me in the past. I have had lots of surgeries over the years. Spine, knee, etc. Back in about 2005, I had a rotator cuff tear and had surgery for that. I was on narcotic pain medication for quite a long time throughout the process. Pain medication has a terrible affect on my mood and outlook. It causes depression for me. I wonder if that could be part of your trouble? Just a suggestion.

I'm sure once you get moving again that you'll feel much better. Glad to hear that you were given the go-ahead by your doctor. Good luck!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I was about to suggest having walks. It's not a strenuous exercise, and if your doctor says you can do the elliptical, then walking should be no biggie. And it's a form of exercise no matter what, which would both help you feel better and prevent you from eating (eating while walking, now I've always found this not convenient at all ).

Also, get better soon! Looks like a really crappy injury.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 211/194/140

Height: 5'4"

I broke my collar bone almost twelve years ago, so I feel your pain. Recently I got a fitbit and find it really motivating to stay on track and get my steps in. Maybe it would help motivate you? Even a regular pedometer would help if you set some goals. I love a sense of accomplishment, even if it is just walking around.
Raven132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time! You've done a great job getting the weight off and staying in shape.

One thing that I thought of....and I just remember what has happened with me in the past. I have had lots of surgeries over the years. Spine, knee, etc. Back in about 2005, I had a rotator cuff tear and had surgery for that. I was on narcotic pain medication for quite a long time throughout the process. Pain medication has a terrible affect on my mood and outlook. It causes depression for me. I wonder if that could be part of your trouble? Just a suggestion.

I'm sure once you get moving again that you'll feel much better. Glad to hear that you were given the go-ahead by your doctor. Good luck!
Yes.... I would suggest mentioning this stuff to your doctor to see if it might have something to do with any medications you are taking that can be adjusted
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote