Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #1  

Default Emergency gallbladder removal

Friday night I started to get a slight pain in my back after eating a very small amount of hummus, pita bread, chick peas, tomatoes. Wihin 2 hours the pain was like a wrap around entire abdomen to my back that felt like hot coals radiating and going into my shoulders, neck and arms. By 10 pm I induced vomitting to try and get relief as I could not move and the pain was constant. Absolute misery!! I could not move, was dizzy and my stomach was extended. It felt like labor pains but dare I say, Worse! I had family drive me to emergency room and by this time I could not speak but just scream from the pain. Intake person got me in right away and Back in the room they immediately checked my heart, vitals etc. I was not having a heart attack, i already knew that because this was my 3rd such attack and the first one We called paramedics thinking heart attack and they told me my heart was fine that they suspected heart burn. Anyway, er nurses got a IV going to administer fluids and morphine. For 3 hours they pumped heavy narcotics into me but I could still feel the god awful pain (almost no words to accurately describe this). Ultrasound did tests and doctor came in and said a large stone was blocking in my gall bladder and my gallbladder was inflammed/infection. Surgery was needed! Yesterday at 3:00 they performed Laparoscopic Choleystectomy in which they put you under anesthesia and small incisions are made in abdomen then scope is put through one of the cuts and small clips are used to close off bile duct and blood vessels and then they detach gallbladder from liver. I came to and have since felt like a zombie in pain from the surgery. I was told that low carb diets can cause gallbladder disease and I have been on Medifast since 2/26. Losing weight to quickly can also cause it. Anyway, I am resting at home today day 1 after surgery and can barely move and feel out of it. I am told to stick with low fat diet for 8 weeks cause my body will no longer be able to break down fats and if I consume fats I will have nausea, gas, and immediate "dumping" etc. i am to be on an all liquid diet for next 3 days which is fine I have no appetite.
ubskinnyagain75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #2  

Oh and I asked dr to take photo of the stone blocking and he did and its nasty and huge (size of small plum). I should post this picture.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/150

Height: 5'3

ubskinnyagain75, so sorry to hear you went through all that. I hope you have a quick recovery.
enr20707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/193/145

Height: 5' 5"

I had that happen to me in 2009. I lost 30lbs cutting out carbs, and suddenly collapsed one day at work....two months of doctors trying to find out why and then my Gastro said Gallbladder. I lost it in November and then in December they said I had Ceiliac's Disease. So, no I can never eat wheat, rye, barley or any of the usual foods. I've been dealing with the phantom pains ever since and I get sick if I don't eat every few hours. I understand how upsetting it was for you. I've been there and at 30, which I was told is really young. Doesn't matter, I'm getting back on track. Just remember to eat lean and almost fat free. Nothing over 9g of fat per meal or you will feel it.
Utenatwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #5  

Hi. I am 37 and they said they see it all the time withow carb dieters which I am a low carber. It was so scary and this is day two of my recovery and I still have not had a bowel movement, but I hear that pain killers can contribute to constipation. The incisions hurt, which is expected I guess. I heard lots of folks have celiac disease and I already cannot eat wheat products or I end up in a curled ball on floor for hours with diahhrea and intense cramping. I have not eaten anything other than clear fluids and some broth. I have no appetite and feel extremely bloated and gassy but no gas is coming out even if I push a little. Sorry you too had this happen to you. How long did initial recovery take you? I have two kids and full time career and here I am in bed unable to move much. Feeling depressed a bit.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #6  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

Oh, wow. You poor thing; what a trial! Sending you good thoughts and warm wishes for a speedy recovery.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #7  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

I had mine out at the beginning of the year. Not an emergency, but I was in pain pretty much non-stop leading up to it.

It took me a week to stop feeling like my insides were going to fall out everytime I moved, and another week after that for the bruising to reduce enough for me to wear a bra. The six week of no exercise was hard, I put on a lot of weight, and completely lost my core strength. However, it was totally worth it as I am no longer in pain (though I do sometimes have bad reactions to fatty meals).

Get better soon! If you still feel constipated, send someone to the phamarcy and get them to ask for something specific to your situation. I find the combination of codiene and no exercise is terrible for my digestive system.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #8  

Thanks and I decided to take some metamucil last evening and it worked, feel better constipation wise (tmi sorry guys). What I am dealing with most now is fatigue. I have been on heavy narcotics since Friday late evening and yesterday I only took 2 oxycodones 5-325mg tabs compared to 6 on Sunday and massive doses Saturday at hospital. Today I have pushed myself not take any cause I hate feeling like a zombie but I think I need to take 2 again so I can sleep because it hurts to sleep when I roll over on the incisions on right side and under my belly button. I am planning in working from home Thursday and Friday. Thank goodness I have a computer job and can remote in if I need to. Even if I am still a space cadet a bit i can take it easy in my pjs. My ex hub is watching our 8 year old son. We have split custody and he has been wonderful helping me. My 17 year old lives with me full time and she has pretty much waited on me hand n foot within reason. Anyway wanted to give ya all an update. Ps today i had 1 cup fresh strawberries, 1 piece of pineapple slice, half a cup of fat free cottage cheese and 2 ounces of chicken breast and did just fine with it. Been drinking tons of water, like 1 gallon a day.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

I'm so sorry this happened to you!

I just recently had the same pains and went to the hospital during second attack, because I knew it was my gallbladder. My grandparents and parents had theirs removed, and my sisters had theirs removed too at 15 and 18. The doctor scheduled me for an ultrasound, and sure enough they found stones. I find out when I can have my surgery tomorrow with my surgeon.

I get the feeling my family is sugar-coating how bad it really is, and I'm really scared. Do you think I'll be able to recover without pain mediation? I react really bad to it. And how are you with digesting lean protein? I'm a low-carber and I'd hate to go off my diet. My sisters are low-carbers too, but they didn't begin until just recently.

I hope you have a quick recovery!!
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/151/125

Height: 5'0

I had mine out after a couple months of being on birth control. My grandma and my mother had theirs removed right after having children. My doctor believed the genetic factors and hormones had something to do with why this happened.

Mine was emergency but the 2 weeks waiting for surgery were horrible!!! I lived off non-fat soup and slurpees because when I tried to eat anything else I would be in constant pain for days without sleeping. The 3rd straight night of no sleep because of the pain is what sent me to the e.r.

I remember the doctor told me they were putting a liquid ibuprofen in my IV and if the pain subsided before they got the results of my tests/scans than more than likely it was my gullbladder.

The doctors never explained the long term effects to my diet after I had the surgery. I never realized that the frequent trips the bathroom, heartburn, and overall ill feeling after eating foods heavy in fat was because of my lack of a gullbladder.

The first couple days feel crappy but by next week you'll be feeling SOO much better. I hope you have a quick recovery!
tinkerbell4726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #11  

Ramya - dont be scared. It is better to catch it now than my situatiion which was an emergency and could have ruptured or turned jaundice or or or, you get my drift. I am eating and have always eaten low fat protein besides the occassional fatty steak which really hurt my digestive track. I suspect all the last 15 years of digestive issues could be related to a sick gallbladder, i will soon find out.
You will need some kind of pain killer, I think there are some kinds without codeine in them. The incisions throb and so although I too have issues with pain killers i am taking them anyway just for a few days - tomorrow switching to plain old tylenol or motrin.