Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/200/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Lunch: can I just have a salad/veggies and have my packet as a snack later?

Hi! I'm new to IP and it is difficult for me to prepare packets at work for lunch, as I don't eat microwaved food. Would it be OK for me to just have a salad and veggies for lunch and have my lunch packet as an extra snack after work or after a low-impact walk in the woods? I'm really excited about IP but not yet clear on exactly how to make it work for my lifestyle. I welcome and appreciate Amy input, and I apologize if this topic has been covered in previous threads. I looked but couldn't find an answer.
Violetgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/175/170

Height: 5 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violetgal View Post
Hi! I'm new to IP and it is difficult for me to prepare packets at work for lunch, as I don't eat microwaved food. Would it be OK for me to just have a salad and veggies for lunch and have my lunch packet as an extra snack after work or after a low-impact walk in the woods? I'm really excited about IP but not yet clear on exactly how to make it work for my lifestyle. I welcome and appreciate Amy input, and I apologize if this topic has been covered in previous threads. I looked but couldn't find an answer.
Maybe for lunch have a bar, cereal, drink, pudding, etc. so you don't need a microwave. I usually have a bar or ready made pudding with my veggies or salad for lunch. I think it is better not just nutrition wise but also psychologically to feel you are having a meal at meal time. Creating healthy habits. The protein at lunch will sustain you better mentally and physically till supper. You can also do your own protein at lunch like chicken salad, tuna salad and have your lunch packet for supper. Just some ideas that work for me.
Zartas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #3  

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I will definitely try the drink and/or pudding. I'm only on day 4, and so far, I am having a really hard time getting all my food in. My appetite seems to have disappeared. I have been having a hard time finishing my lunchtime veggies, so adding a packet seems so overwhelming, although I know it's necessary!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #4  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

I work in the oilfield, so no access to water unless I bring it, no access to a microwave, so I know a bit of what you are dealing with. I too could not possibly handle the 2 cups of veggies for lunch, so for me, I make the omelet EVERY morning (I dont mind eating the same thing every day, this helps) but add 1 cup of mushrooms and 1 cup of spinach to the omelet, this way I am free to eat anything else at lunch. For me as Im seldom real hungry at lunch I carry the bars and eat one for lunch. You just have to be careful as they are restricted, so no more restricteds for the day.
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #5  

I'm curious about your question too. The diet has to fit your life style, so if it works for you then I would go with it. I would also ask your coach. I will ask mine, but I won't see her for a week. If this helps, I was eating all of my meals between noon and 9:30 pm. My coach wants me to try and start eating breakfast. I can't prepare food at work either, so I have plenty of the ready to drink chocolate or vanillas on hand. I put them in a little cooler, and they are cold for me when I want them.
explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 / see ticker / 140

Height: 5'4"

I do not always eat my "meals" all together. I often will eat just the salad for lunch then have a drink or something later in the day ... especially on weekends. From what I was told that is fine. My coach told me that as long as I was getting the packets in and spacing out my meals through out the day (ie: not eating two packets in the morning then nothing else until dinner it was OK). She did mention NOT to skip breakfast but that doesn't sound like it is your issue.
Cole3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #7  

I'm on day 5 now, and I just haven't really had much of an appetite. I have been having to force myself to get the required veggies and protein in. I have been doing a salad with veggies for lunch and 2 oz protein or 2 egg whites. I have been skipping my 2nd packet of the day, so I am having 2 instead of 3. I know this isn't ideal, but so many of the packets have really grossed me out. I feel really great on IP so far, but I am definitely still struggling with trying to figure out how to make it work for my lifestyle.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/141.6/145

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violetgal View Post
I'm on day 5 now, and I just haven't really had much of an appetite. I have been having to force myself to get the required veggies and protein in. I have been doing a salad with veggies for lunch and 2 oz protein or 2 egg whites. I have been skipping my 2nd packet of the day, so I am having 2 instead of 3. I know this isn't ideal, but so many of the packets have really grossed me out. I feel really great on IP so far, but I am definitely still struggling with trying to figure out how to make it work for my lifestyle.
I like to have a hard boiled egg with my lettuce, maybe you could squeeze some of those in and use the packet at dinner. You could also try the chocolate spinach shake for breakfast and put two cups in instead of one. That would free up your lunch for a bar, RTD, or pudding. Have you tried the jello? It is really good and sets up really fast. Do you get a break for every four hours you work? You could have a cup of veggies at each break and a bar at lunch.

I wouldn't skip a packet, this diet is set up this way for a reason. I think you could risking going into starvation mode.

It can take so me time to get your equilibrium, hang in there.
Stefany1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #9  

Thanks for the advice, Stefany. I am definitely going to try to get that 3rd packet in. I usually work about 7-8 hours straight, and although I technically get a half hour break, I am rarely able to take more than 15 minutes. The chocolate spinach shake sounds intriguing...is it just spinach blended into the chocolate shake? I haven't tried the jello yet. I know I need to be more adventurous and try more packets, I just haven't had the appetite (which is literally the last thing I expected of my first week on IP!).
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #10  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy View Post
I work in the oilfield, so no access to water unless I bring it, no access to a microwave, so I know a bit of what you are dealing with. I too could not possibly handle the 2 cups of veggies for lunch, so for me, I make the omelet EVERY morning (I dont mind eating the same thing every day, this helps) but add 1 cup of mushrooms and 1 cup of spinach to the omelet, this way I am free to eat anything else at lunch. For me as Im seldom real hungry at lunch I carry the bars and eat one for lunch. You just have to be careful as they are restricted, so no more restricteds for the day.
Must be a guy thing. I have my Herb & Cheese Omelet almost every day and I have sauteed mushrooms and green peppers with it and I add uncooked onions wot it. I actually have trouble finishing it most days. The only time I don't have it is when I get up late or today with WI, I ate lighter this morning.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 512/471/300

Height: 5'11"

I do the salad and protien (fish, poultry) every day at lunch. My dr only has me on two packets a day. A snack one around 9:30 and one before supper. I get a lot of veggie and meat protien. I have to have a packet around 9:30 because I wake up around 4:30. While at work I have access to a microwave. When doing farm work at home I normally don't. Then I have the packet for my lunch.
crash302 is offline   Reply With Quote