Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Diabetes Chat for May

Even if you just want to report your FBGL, pop in and share some of your life.

Here's the link to the April Thread. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...hat-april.html
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

The first of May and evaluation time for me. (I do that every month.)

Right now, after a poorly managed April, I am only five pounds less than this time last year. However, my BGL is much better. Looking back at April there was way too much partying happening and too much slippage. It's time to send "Ruthie" to time out and let "Ruthless" be in charge.

Mad is right - the produce in our stores up here is looking much fresher. I am definitely going to plan more salads. Making them ahead (without dressing) will make lunches much better. Right now I'm inclined to just make a quick sandwich of cheese or meat and eat it while I am working - not good even if the bread is healthy stuff.

OK ... on with May, the prettiest month of the year around here and one of my busiest with the garden plus the Village flowers to plant. It's also asparagus and rhubarb month!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello friends

fbs at 82 this morning. I am not working out today as I still have lots of stiffness. I need to get back on track with activity. My diet is good.

Ruth (less) thanks for the new thread!

Trish, if you click on an item in your tracker, look for an "x" and click on it and it will delete the entry.

Mad, hoping for a more reasonable schedule for you this week.

Georgia, sorry that you are having neuropathy. Your numbers still seem to be pretty high..... what kind of diet are you following?

Well, off to a day of meetings.... Later

Rie
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning Chickies and I hope that this will be Marvelous May for all of us.

I overdid yesterday with carbs, but stayed within my calories. But this is May 1 and I'm looking forward to getting things healthier and better.

Ruthie - I loved your... It's time to send "Ruthie" to time out and let "Ruthless" be in charge. I think I need to join you there. I too am loving this time of year with the fresh fruit and veggies. I love salads. A lady at church gets her cantaloupe and strawberries at Aldies and they are so delicious. DH and I started going there to buy them. I'm wondering if they don't get their veggies locally because even their corn on the cob that DH and I both love are absolutely great tasting. Seems like these that we've purchased in grocery stores are tasteless and old.

Rie - Thanks for the advice. I finally figured it out. I now need to learn how to put something in manually. Right now I find a food similar with the calorie count. It seems that once you hit automatic for the day that you can't go back to manual. Must be a way, but I haven't figured it out yet. I wonder if I hit manual for the day if it will let me do both.

DSIL is working today, DD and kids are at school, DH sleeping, Jaxx is playing and I love this type of day. DGS does have therapy today and tomorrow, but it works out very good. Sure hope DSIL is able to get 5 days this week.

I got up this morning and did most of my exercises for the day and cleaned out my refrigerator, cut up the cantaloupes we bought yesterday and put them in fridge ready to be served. Still have to unload the dishwasher and all is good this morning. So activity is good. I did try the longer hours of eating yesterday and that just doesn't work for me. I really don't like to eat so many hours so will cut my hours back to at least 7 hrs.

DH docs appt with skin doc went great. He said " I don't know how your health is otherwise, but skin wise you are very healthy.

Sorry no time for more indivituals. Better get busy have to feed Jaxx and put him down so he will be ready for therapist.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Ruth - at least you are ahead of last year, and your bgl is much better, too.

Rie - I hope the day of meetings wasn't too bad. Yay for a good diet.

Trish - sounds like you had a pretty good day. My Jackson will be 5 tomorrow! We celebrated Sunday, but I'm taking him for a special lunch tomorrow to celebrate again.

Hello to everyone else.

I had a visit to my doctor today, and she said I am not prediabetic, I am flat out diabetic. Since my blood pressure is up, too, she wonders if that is part of the reason for elevated glucose. I am to go for a blood test, and we will take it from there. She did agree to let me try and control the diabetes with diet. I have 6 weeks to show an improvement. I hope I can do this, and am highly motivated, because I don't want to begins meds if I can avoid them. I'm also to record my blood pressure and show her the readout in 6 weeks. Of course, if the numbers get too high, I'm to call in right away. I just love this doctor, and have a very good rapport with her.

Question - what, if any, artificial sweeteners do you use?

Have a good one.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Jane, I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners but do use a bit of Splenda in my coffee. I have agave syrup on hand which is no artificial, of course, and sometimes use a bit of it with yogurt.

Weight is settling down a bit - or rather "up"- and BGL tested at 5.2 again this morning. I think it needs a day or so to stabilize at my usual 4.something. I cooked Chinese last night and know I'm carrying some water weight from the sauces.

By the way, I used those no-carb noodles which I had frozen and they were hard! It was like eating fine wire. I guess freezing is not a good idea.

Off to the gym this morning and then for coffee afterwards. Car pooling does have its disadvantages. My gym buddies always want to eat something but I manage to resist - usually. It is possible to drink coffee without a donut or muffin!

Happy Hump Day!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Jane: to answer your question, I use splenda, almost exclusively, except when I have the sf candies that use maltilol etc, (and as Ruth reminded us with easter treats, they certainly have a laxative effect). I buy splenda packets in large boxes at costco or the bulk section of the grocery store, and buy bags of the stuff for baking, as I have some nice recipes for cheesecakes etc using it. I prefer schwepps diet ginger ale when I have sodapop, as it is sweetened with splenda too.

Stayed on plan yesterday too and fbs was 5.1 this am. The last couple of days have been plagued with early morning insomnia, yesterday woke for the day at 5:30 today at 5:00! bah humbug. This after having difficulty getting to sleep in the evenings last week! I am all out of sorts.

SO now I will tell you about my docs appts yesterday. I had been thinking about liposuction, and had some questions. I am struggling with this, as I don't think of myself as a vain person, but I am unhappy about the belly fat.
SO I booked consultations with the 2 cosmetic surgeons in town. (smallish town, about 300,000) One of them charges a fee for the consult visit, and I struggled with that, but decided it was reasonable to pay.

The one who charged was first, and the consult was thorough and professional and frank. He said I needed to lose more weight, and that some of the issue is internal fat pushing my upper abdomen out, and that I will be surprised how much better I look with another 20 pounds gone. that sounded nice. THen he said that with age etc that he recommended a tummy tuck instead. (many more dollars of course). There seemed to be good rationale for this, to do with aging saggy skin etc. All told he took about 30 minutes with me, and covered anything and everything, including my allergies, and surgical issues like my sleep apnea and latex allergy. (turns out he is also latex allergic, so no worries there). Total cost if I eventually have the tummy tuck will be just under $10,000. He also suggested a breast lift at the same time if I was unhappy with the sagging to be expected with weight loss and aging, and seemed surprised that I was not willing to risk any loss of sensation in that area for any reason.

I was a little unhappy about the thought of a more invasive surgery, and wondered what the 2nd guy would say. Well, I never got to see him. I arrived for my appointment and sat down. 30 minutes later I was still sitting. No word from staff, and interestingly, no forms to fill out with any medical history etc. at 35 minutes I told the receptionist I was leaving. I got an email about 30 minutes later apologizing, and I explained that more than the wait, I was bothered that no one told me he was delayed or apologized for that at the time. When I check in with my family doc, the admin always lets me know if I will be waiting beyond 10 minutes after appointment time. I don't mind being seen later, I want thorough care and time when needed too, I just want my time respected.

Anyhow, for now I will get some fancy spanx to wear for the wedding and keep thinking about whether surgery is important to me, and keep up with diet and exercise.

ttfn everyone.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #8  

Hello friends

fbs at 78 today. I have been eating on plan but still lagging on exercise. I really need to get back on track with that. I have also been struggling with sleep.

Mad, I have a more pronounced apple shape since losing weight. I am not sure where I will end up but I know that I need to get to a much lower weight. The idea of the surgery terrifies me.

Jane, I don't use any artificial sweeteners except a little splenda here and there. I generally don't like the taste and nutrasweet gives me a headache.

Ruth, have fun at the gym and I am sending you strength vibes for the coffee shop.

Trish, I'm not sure what you mean by entering foods "automatically" or manually. I go to the little window and begin to type in my food. when the list comes up, I highlight that item and it enters. If my food isn't there, I click on "enter calories manually" and enter the name and the calories of the food I am tracking. I hope that helps.

Off to work! Rie
Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I am back online after a weekend of fun with son. I popped a bit too high on carbs one day and fbg got up in the high 120s, but got back on track and those numbers are in the 110s again.

Jane, to answer your question, I don't use any sweeteners. I don't like stevia at all because of the aftertaste. Splenda is the only one I don't mind, but I just avoid it because it's still artificial. If I'm dying for something sweet, I will have dark chocolate. Otherwise, I go for sucking on a cinnamon stick. I've never had a sweet tooth, but I definitely have a fat tooth! I put 1 Tbs of heavy cream in my coffee. Mmmm!

Rie, I think you have me confused with someone else, Red65. I don't have neuropathy.

See you tomorrow, girls!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Well, I need a good butt booting. Karen came over last night and we had lasagna, wine and finished off some cookies! She's going through a bad time and medicating with food but I don't need to join her in sympathy. She's slim (size 6) but is on a slippery slope. I don't want to get pulled along.

Weight is 182 this morning but BGL is good at 4.1. Go figure!

Going to spend some thinking and planning time on the treadmill here at home this morning. I'm hoping formal exercise on my no-gym days will get me in the happy space again. (It will also get me tidying up my exercise room which currently looks like a scene from Hoarders with summer clothes being sorted! I need an intervention.)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #11  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Am true to ticker and no gain on weigh in last night, but that does mean I have plateaued the last couple of weeks. Dang.
Lets see if we can move that a bit.
DH and I went out for supper after weigh-in, and I had a pasta dish. THis weeks meeting theme was eating out on plan, so I got a take out container delivered with my dinner and divided the food in half right away. I still counted lots of points for the supper I did eat, and did have salad too.
FBS was 5.4 today, has been in the 5's all week. not sure why, but am having trouble keeping to points. Definitely have to up the veggies and be careful.

Planning to be away visiting Dad this weekend, but there will be internet. I am helping him get ready for a garage sale, he is selling some stuff in preparation for selling his house and downsizing. Good chance to be with him, and enjoy the memories that are bound to come up as we go through these things.

RUth, I am happy to kick your butt. Eat more veggies and less pasta. You go girl!

RIe: what is causing the stiffness? Did I miss an injury or something? For me, I get stiffness and arthritis -like symptoms with some food intolerances. Hope you find a way to get past this pain and get more active.

Happy Thursday everyone.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

Just portioned the rest of Karen's lasagna in small portions for the freezer stash and will definitely not eat them without a salad. I am about to make a veggie/lentil soup for a hot lunch as the day is damp and wet. Just did a mere 20 minutes on the treadmill - a lot more than I've done before here at home. I need to conquer the boredom though. Maybe watch a DVD? The room is too small for a TV and I'd need to pay for another line anyhow.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #13  
1 Goal 240 2nd Goal 195

S/C/G: 334.6/262.6/240

Height: 5'9"

Hey! have not been around much.. everything is crazy with the end of the school year and keeping the house picked up.. just wanted to pop in and say hi! my numbers are good, im still losing weight. Hope everyone is doing great!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #14  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I ate really low carb yesterday, but ate kinda late so my fbg was back up to 121 this morning. I'm struggling with timing of meals. I seem to need to eat every four hours, which puts me past 6 pm with a fourth meal and that messes with my morning numbers. I don't want to eat every three hours. It makes me feel obsessed with food. And going five hours or longer just makes me overeat.

I'll figure it out. I must be doing something right. Down another half pound this morning.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #15  

Quick reply as I am running late this morning. fbs at 82 and my weight is still stable - and higher than my ticker.

Mad, I have lupus. It is mostly in remission but sometimes I get these flares. Basically like an acute arthritis flare.

Back later
Rie
Closed Thread