South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #1  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

Thumbs down maltitol----->is. evil.

i bought some sugar free Jelly Belly's last night. it was a small bag. i ate like half the bag and oh man. yeah, i woke uo with diahrrea and my stomach was messed up all day. never again lol.
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I made the same mistake with the sugar free Jelly Belly's.

I had already learned that sugar alcohols (any sweetener ending in 'ol) can have this effect, so I already knew to read the label and to never exceed the recommended serving size.

When I got sick, I realized that I had made a mistake I knew not to make, but even so I was shocked when I read the label. The serving size listed was four jelly beans. Who the heck ever eats only four jelly beans?

It did reinforce to me the importance of reading serving sizes, especially on foods sweetened with sugar alcohols.

Usually I don't have a problem if I don't exceed the recommended serving size. Although if I'm having a problem with constipation, a serving or serving and a half can be helpful.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

I learned my lesson with sugar free ice cream. It wasn't good. Never again. LOL.

4 jelly beans??? That isn't even a handful.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 05-16-2012 at 12:35 AM.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #4  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

lol. i'm not gonna lie. i didnt even read the suggested serving size. i was just wanting some candy lol. but lesson learned.
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I accidently ate some mousse containing Xylitol, I paid a price for that Big Time. I am definitely being more careful of reading ingredients, now.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I accidently ate some mousse containing Xylitol, I paid a price for that Big Time. I am definitely being more careful of reading ingredients, now.
It's all so individual. I actually use xylitol and erythrytol intentionally because they don't give me trouble. Another one of those things we each have to figure out, sometimes the hard way
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

Candy suggestions: Werthers sugar free. They taste terrific, and last a while since you suck on them. I often find the just one after dinner satisfies that craving for something sweet! Also, I make my own sugar free, fat free chocolate sauce with really intense flavors. Just a spoonful hits the spot.

I have a food scientist friend who avoids the -ols like the plague! I read that erythritol has less of a tendency to cause stomach upset, which is why it's used in the stevia blends.
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224.6/196/134

Height: 5'2"

My FIL is diabetic and when I told him about looking for SF stuff he warned me to be careful LOL
FabBy40Angel is offline   Reply With Quote